Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBDII port for always on power in Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve read seemingly all the posts since 2015 that discuss a source of always-on power for a dash cam in a Model X. My take-away is that the consensus for 2019-2020 Ravens would be to use the OBDII port. Does anyone disagree? I know that there are better ways for older Model X vehicles that no longer exist in the 2019-20 models.

Does anyone have a sense about whether I should add an in-line fuse (perhaps 3 amps) so as not to blow the difficult-to-access 5 amp fuse that protects the wiring from the OBDII port?

I REALLY appreciate all the help that I’ve received from this message board.

Thanks,

Jon

I’ve read seemingly all the posts since 2015 that discuss a source of always-on power for a dash cam in a Model X. My take-away is that the consensus for 2019-2020 Ravens would be to use the OBDII port. Does anyone disagree? I know that there are better ways for older Model X vehicles that no longer exist in the 2019-20 models.
Does anyone have a sense about whether I should add an in-line fuse (perhaps 3 amps) so as not to blow the difficult-to-access 5 amp fuse that protects the wiring from the OBDII port?
I REALLY appreciate all the help that I’ve received from this message board.
Thanks,
Jon

Locate the the pigtail that is used for the brake controller (check the trailer hitch bag if you have not seen it). It connects to a 4-pin connector up above the OBD port. Once plugged in you will have a continuous 12V on the black and red wires, circuit is fused at 20 amps. It is not in any kind of bracket, just hanging. You most likely will have to completely remove the plastic panel above the pedals to find it.

See Brake controller goes where?

Last edited:
Reactions: Darmie
E2672F57-B81B-4A3B-A51A-A46DCC4D806D.jpeg
596B7462-AD04-4519-BDD3-9B37B44EAE89.jpeg
Locate the the pigtail that is used for the brake controller (check the trailer hitch bag if you have not seen it). It connects to a 4-pin connector up above the OBD port. Once plugged in you will have a continuous 12V on the black and red wires, circuit is fused at 20 amps. It is not in any kind of bracket, just hanging. You most likely will have to completely remove the plastic panel above the pedals to find it.

See Brake controller goes where?
Thanks! This is great information. Last time you explained this in a different thread I didn’t completely understand what a brake controller is and I certainly didn’t understand that it was related to the length of wiring that comes with the tow hitch.

How does that plastic panel above the pedals come off (and go back on)?

Yesterday when I attempted to get to this area I wasn’t able to get up above the OBDII port, instead only being able to find the wiring shown in the attached photo. I assume that this is not the connector I need?

Reactions: X-pilot
View attachment 532282 View attachment 532280
Thanks! This is great information. Last time you explained this in a different thread I didn’t completely understand what a brake controller is and I certainly didn’t understand that it was related to the length of wiring that comes with the tow hitch.

How does that plastic panel above the pedals come off (and go back on)?

Yesterday when I attempted to get to this area I wasn’t able to get up above the OBDII port, instead only being able to find the wiring shown in the attached photo. I assume that this is not the connector I need?
You have to remove the trim panel in the drivers door to access this (PITA). They pry up to come off, which takes quite a bit of tugging. Don't be alarmed, but you might break a few tabs trying to get it off. In addition, grab a beer or something when you go to put the door trim back in. The panel that goes in and under the upper portion is a drag to get back in properly. The harness on the right (white plastic cover), is the one with the continuous 12V (red wire).

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot