Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBDII port problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I tried to plug in the OBDII port of my S90D, I found that the port is too close to a side of the trim opening such that it won't allow a regular OBDII plug to plug into the port. Need Tesla to fix it.

Anyone has this problem too?

What are you trying to plug in? That port is primarily for emissions control, and of no use on a Tesla car. You can get power there, but that is about it.

If you _really_ want to use the port, but can't fit your plug, then simplest may be to get an OBDII extension cable.

P.S. Not sure what a 'regular' OBDII plug is. I've seen left hand right angle, right hand right angle, straight variants, and a large number of different body sizes. The plug connection is standardised, but the cable and housing arrangement is not.

that plug does nothing, what you want is the canbus port under the center screen.
20170418_081440.jpg

When I tried to plug in the OBDII port of my S90D, I found that the port is too close to a side of the trim opening such that it won't allow a regular OBDII plug to plug into the port. Need Tesla to fix it.

Anyone has this problem too?
I've used several different OBDII plugs to power accessories, and had no problems using the Tesla OBDII port. It is close to the wall, but most plugs should fit, unless it's mounted in a case with an angle.. in which case, as suggested, just get a short extension.

My Valentine One radar detector runs off the OBDII in my wife's car and my current X5, I plan to use the same adapter in my MS when I get it in two weeks.

Just as a FYI, that plan didn't work at all. The radar detector refused to power up, had to drive cross country without it. My OBD doesn't seem to be working for power purposes at all.