Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obeche matte or glossy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the two pictures they sent me...
glossy obeche.JPG
Obeche Wood Matte.JPG

Here is my $0.02.

If you are going with the beige leather, then both look great. My personal choice would be glossy with beige. If you are going with the black or grey leather, then I would choose the matte finish. I feeling is that the brightness of the glossy finish would clash too much with the darker colors.

I was told similar in NYC. I actually sort of like the matte obeche. If I'm stuck with wood though, might as well be Lacewood

The concern I have about the Lacewood finish as produced by Tesla is the wood has a textured look to it; as though it's grain had been embossed in place. Long term that may grow tiresome. Probably best for me to see full piece samples installed in the car before committing to one wood type or finish to the other.

If you are going with the black or grey leather, then I would choose the matte finish.

Is the matte finish shown in the bottom photo? If so, then I definitely agree that matte would look best with black or grey leather. I think I'll choose this matte Obeche option with my black interior instead of the Lacewood, since I agree with Tommy that I may regret getting a textured finish in a few years.

Is the matte finish shown in the bottom photo? If so, then I definitely agree that matte would look best with black or grey leather. I think I'll choose this matte Obeche option with my black interior instead of the Lacewood, since I agree with Tommy that I may regret getting a textured finish in a few years.
My issue with the matte is it reminds me of the side panels from the 70's/80's era station wagons. I think I'd prefer a glossy finish. But from the pics, don't like the lightness of it. I like the colors of the matte, but the finish of the glossy. Of course.

I'm really interested to see the obeche wood in person. Originally, I was thinking the banana leaf would be my choice, but when the samples finally arrived at my local store, I was pretty dissappointed in the way it looked (obviously I wasn't the only one). However, I was pleasantly surprised by the look and texture of the lacewood sample, and I'm happy to have it; it's not my begrudgingly second choice. However, the one thing that I am concerned about is that it seems the texture on different samples of lacewood can look pretty different. So I would be concerned that the particular pieces that are in my car may not look the way I would like and/or different pieces within my car would look too different (or who knows, maybe that will give it some cool character).

Now with this new obeche wood option seeming to have more predictable looks, I am pretty interested to see what it's like in person.

Oh, I forgot about the glossy/matte question.

Unfortunately for me, with the obeche wood, I think I would prefer the touch of the matte, but prefer the look of the glossy. If the glossy looks like nice lacquered wood, I'll like it. If it looks like the banana leaf did, then I would definitely prefer the matte.

Fascinating. I was just in the Menlo Park showroom, and they had what they said was the very first sample of the Obeche Wood that fits in their display of color options. But, it was only the matte. Now I'll have to go back and check out the gloss finish when that arrives!

@MikeK: Did the Menlo Park store know when that might be? I visited the Houston store on Sunday because I have to finalize my options order within days, and while they had the same Obeche Wood matte sample, they had also not received the glossy one. I know this is somewhat of an unfair comparison, but when Apple announces a product, it is in the store the next day. The Apple device is a complex device and ships from China. The wood sample is much simpler and ships from Fremont. Granted, it sounds like these changes are happening in real time, but the sample doesn't have to be ready for display, either. It could just be a sample that the store employees hand to people like me that need to complete their orders. In my case they had a Model S beta there with the tan leather--and it would have been quite easy for me to just hold them up and compare. Basically I'm being asked to commit to a sizeable order--or risk my slot--without having seen all of the options available even as samples. Without a complete set of samples available, it would be nice if they officially came out and said something like "you can change your color selection up to 2 months prior to production as long as the change did not affect the price."

I see both sides of this--on the positive side, they are giving us more options, which people have asked for. On the down side, it means those of us currently under the gun to finalize orders have to make decisions with incomplete information. As an early adopter, I know there will be a lot of unknowns, but I was hoping color choice wasn't going to be one of them. I know in the scheme of things it is a minor thing, but I plan to live with this car for a long time. :)

EDIT: Based on this option now showing in the Design Studio, I went ahead and finalized my order: Sig Red - tan - obeche wood glossy. I hope I like it when it arrives in October!

Last edited:
Hello Stephen! I was born in Houston. Nice to hear that there will be a beautiful Model S cruising those streets soon! :)

I realize my answer is too late for you now, but in case anybody else wonders, I didn't even know that glossy was coming, so I couldn't ask at Menlo Park when they might receive it. They had just gotten the matte sample, which was nice looking with all the leather colors. I bet the glossy will look great with the tan, though. I suspect it will bring out a bit more of the brown tones, which will complement the tan well.

I changed my mind. I finally saw the matte obeche wood yesterday, and I liked it. Even if there is a glossy version (which I didn't see), I'd still prefer the matte. "Matte" isn't a good descriptor btw; it's not really matte, it's just wood that hasn't been lacquered.

Now my only problem is deciding between lacewood and the obeche wood.

I was asked to finalize about 30 days ago and have been carefully considering my options. I am now at the trim stage. I am getting the car in black with tan interior and obeche wood trim.

I originally thought I might want the matte finish based on this thread, but now I am not so sure. Since deliveries are starting to pick up I'm hoping to get more feedback from those who've seen matte and glossy together.

I realize its a personal choice but would like to hear other thoughts before I finalize. Thanks in advance.