Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obfuscate VINs and License Plates in photos?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some folks don’t like to publish their VIN on an open forum. Just FYI, FWIW.

[Moderator's note: This thread was split off from here: Neat Model 3 "Easter Egg" found ]
The VIN for every Model 3 ever sold is publicly derivable from its serial #. If you have Model 3 #4,376, they can figure out your VIN #.

Also, it’s posted in the windshield.

Also, I bet it’s public info in many states.

Also, it’s probably easy to gain access to it from insurance records companies, if you know the right people to pay.

Last edited:
If you don't blank out your license plate, an internet user can look up your address quite easily. That would be bad if it's a stalker.

I'm not sure it's really that easy, pretty sure you need access to DMV info to do it. I think this is just one of those semi-paranoid things people often do.

In Ontario, Canada, there is no way to look up an owner by plate or VIN unless you are in law enforcement. I recall that a buddy of mine used to see a very nice "classic" car parked near his office and simply wanted to reach out to the owner to see if he'd be willing to sell it. Even with a friend who worked in the Police Dept., he could not find out.

In Ontario, Canada, there is no way to look up an owner by plate or VIN unless you are in law enforcement. I recall that a buddy of mine used to see a very nice "classic" car parked near his office and simply wanted to reach out to the owner to see if he'd be willing to sell it. Even with a friend who worked in the Police Dept., he could not find out.

Years ago I looked into this in Texas and the law permitted private citizens to look up an owner based upon the license plate; however, the request had to be made in person and the person making the request had to show ID so that the request could be tagged with the identify of the person requesting. This was years ago, mind you. I would hope that by now there was a mechanism for an individual to opt out of this to further safeguard against stalker ex's, etc. Nowadays, though, there are probably far easier ways to find an individual than through their license plate.