Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Object Aware Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed that, off the line, the traction control can kick in then hang on a bit longer than I think necessary, especially in low grip conditions and with some steering lock on.
I would put money on it being object aware acceleration. It isn't just stuff in front of you if the car next to you is pretty close or there are railings near you it will often hesitate on full bore acceleration. Turn it off for a bit and I bet you won't see any hesitation in acceleration.

Reactions: NewbieT
I would put money on it being object aware acceleration. It isn't just stuff in front of you if the car next to you is pretty close or there are railings near you it will often hesitate on full bore acceleration. Turn it off for a bit and I bet you won't see any hesitation in acceleration.
No, there’s nothing around when it happens. Just a T junction in a country road.

It feels as though there’s a steering angle based torque limit, which makes sense, but a combination of this and low speed wheelspin causes the, normally seamless traction control to kick in and stay on excessively long.

It’s only because the TC is so good otherwise that this effect is noticeable.

No, there’s nothing around when it happens. Just a T junction in a country road.

It feels as though there’s a steering angle based torque limit, which makes sense, but a combination of this and low speed wheelspin causes the, normally seamless traction control to kick in and stay on excessively long.

It’s only because the TC is so good otherwise that this effect is noticeable.

Reading these experiences I would definitely be thinking along those lines .. some aspect of TC briefly kicking in. When you think of the many factors on public roads that are going to limit traction it would surprise me if the massive torque from a Performance doesn't need regular taming. The Tesla traction control is so good it catches the wheel spin "before it happens"... so the effect is a slow roll out before full power can be released. The proof would presumably be for people to put the car into Track mode and knock off the TC and see if there's a difference. (Of course one of the differences may be that when you boot the car in the same way you usually do you may find yourself spinning across the junction backwards ... take care out there!!)

Reactions: Jez_GB
Unlikely. Two different give way lines. No alerts/beeps. No FSD/cruise control turned on.
Object-aware acceleration is a safety feature - it's nothing to do with FSD/Cruise control. It doesn't (IIRC) beep, or alert you that it's happened, but the effect is a limit on acceleration - exactly as described here.
That's easily explainable by object-aware-acceleration whose whole purpose is to limit acceleration if there is something "in-front" of the car. At a T junction on a country road my guess is that you're facing a hedge/wall/fence ahead. In which case OAA will slow your acceleration because of the obstacle "ahead" even if your wheel is turned hard-left/right. If you can reproduce this at a particular junction, it's easy to test, just disable it in the settings and see if the car behaves the same.

Ok, we’ll done all on my front. My LR issue was Obstacle aware acceleration. The manual says the car will beep when it activates. Not for me but I do have Joe Mode on. No record in the Notifications. Turned off. 5 degrees this morning. Absolutely fine at both junctions. SC ticket cancelled.
How effing stupid is that thing. It’ll nearly cause a crash than save one. Too many people fitting garage doors and claiming it’s a problem with phantom acceleration.

Reactions: leewillis77
Ok, we’ll done all on my front. My LR issue was Obstacle aware acceleration. The manual says the car will beep when it activates. Not for me but I do have Joe Mode on. No record in the Notifications. Turned off. 5 degrees this morning. Absolutely fine at both junctions. SC ticket cancelled.
How effing stupid is that thing. It’ll nearly cause a crash than save one. Too many people fitting garage doors and claiming it’s a problem with phantom acceleration.
I'm with you and doubt it. You think you'd know especially if it only seems to do it first thing and not later on or higher states of charge. I've been driving Teslas for nearly 6 years and I get a flashing dash and a warning (albeit that is a Model S). when collision or any obstacle thing kicks in.