Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Object In Road while on AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
I had a kind if scary situation yesterday when my LRMY freaked out while in AP. Iw as driving along in the highway at 64 MPH with AP engaged. There was an object in the road (looked like a sofa) that must have fallen from another vehicle. The car in front if me changed lanes quickly but I saw the object and tried to disengage AP by grabbing the wheel and pulling to the left. When i did this the car jerked the wheel hard back to the center of the lane and then started sounding and displaying an alert “take over immediately”. I grabbed the wheel a second time and tried again with the same result.

Thankfully there was enough room for me to push up on the stalk and disengage…then take evasive maneuvers…in retrospect I should have done it this way initially.

Usually when i grab and pull on the wheel though auto steer is disengage. I am not sure what happened here. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Are you on FSD or traditional old fashioned AP? Seems like everytime I was on AP in this situation it disengaged rather quickly once you made a hard steer. But you can't be pussy-footing about it? If you're just mildly turning the wheel and it's not a true emergency then for sure disengage AP first. I'm only had FSD for a month and half and have not had to make an emergency manuever with it yet so be intereting to see what others say. One thing is for sure, do not assume that FSD or AP will see objects in the road. My guess is that it would see a sofa sized but I certainly wouldn't guarantee it. It does seem like debris in the roadway has become a frequent occurrence as people are idiots these days and don't have a clue how to safety tie crap down.

Reactions: TM3blu
I have the standard AP (no FSD). Lane assist is off completely. I jerked it pretty hard and the movement was very sudden. I have had the car for about one year now and i know about how much force it takes to disengage both with turn signal and without. I suspect i should have hot turn signal first or maybe even hit the brakes. The people around me probably thought i was nuts 😂. If anything maybe i jerked the wheel too violently?

I jerked hard to the letf and then the car jerked equally as hard to the right. This all happened in about two or three seconds and i manually disengage with the stalk. Luckily i had plenty of notice of the object.