Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obligatory "Homelink doesn't pop up when reversing out of garage" thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

spectrum

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2018
Atlanta
Before, this was the process of reversing out of garage:
  1. Put MX into reverse
  2. Reverse out of garage while looking at backup camera
  3. Homelink menu pops up, press garage door to close
  4. Drive away
This is the "new" broken process (I'm on 2020.40.3 and it still doesn't work right).
  1. Put MX into reverse
  3. No Homelink menu pops up
  4. Put MX into park (or close rearview camera)
  5. Tap Homelink menu, press garage door to close
  6. Put MX into reverse again
  7. Drive away
Alternatively, you can close the backup camera while reversing to manually trigger Homelink, but then you have to tap the "More" in the bottom to open App drawer, open the camera, and then tap to open the camera in full view, and then when you're driving again, close the camera.

This has been an ongoing issue ever since Tesla introduced the side camera view in reverse.

Has anyone figured out a way to fix it?

Model S sister thread:
Cannot access HomeLink while in Reverse

Reactions: P85_DA
Before, this was the process of reversing out of garage:
  1. Put MX into reverse
  3. Homelink menu pops up, press garage door to close
  4. Drive away
This is the "new" broken process (I'm on 2020.40.3 and it still doesn't work right).
  1. Put MX into reverse
  3. No Homelink menu pops up
  4. Put MX into park (or close rearview camera)
  5. Tap Homelink menu, press garage door to close
  6. Put MX into reverse again
  7. Drive away
Alternatively, you can close the backup camera while reversing to manually trigger Homelink, but then you have to tap the "More" in the bottom to open App drawer, open the camera, and then tap to open the camera in full view, and then when you're driving again, close the camera.

This has been an ongoing issue ever since Tesla introduced the side camera view in reverse.

Has anyone figured out a way to fix it?

Model S sister thread:
Cannot access HomeLink while in Reverse
I've had my X since 2017 and seldom experienced your "before" process. Best I can tell, if you touch the MCU after you park (and I mean from the time you park in the evening to the time you shift into reverse the next morning), it won't pop up, and if you don't, whether or not it will pop up depends on GPS signal and/or how much time it has to wake up before you drive. What really made this problematic was the camera feed being moved up to cover the homelink button. In any case, you can work around this when you remember by popping up the homelink menu before shifting into reverse. Inconvenient but effective.

I have MCU1 so no option to view side cameras.
I'm upgraded to AP3 and MCU2 now from AP2.5 and MCU1, but I don't think I have a side-view camera option, either. I certainly didn't see it when I was reconfiguring everything (they transferred nothing over in the MCU2 upgrade). In any case, no change in this behavior, but MCU2 does make the menu translucent, which is nice when it is up but would be less necessary if they hadn't moved the camera and radar display up for no reason when they changed the homelink display to only include the active garage doors when it comes up automatically (and especially if they consistently came up automatically).

I'm upgraded to AP3 and MCU2 now from AP2.5 and MCU1, but I don't think I have a side-view camera option, either. I certainly didn't see it when I was reconfiguring everything (they transferred nothing over in the MCU2 upgrade). In any case, no change in this behavior, but MCU2 does make the menu translucent, which is nice when it is up but would be less necessary if they hadn't moved the camera and radar display up for no reason when they changed the homelink display to only include the active garage doors when it comes up automatically (and especially if they consistently came up automatically).

When the backup camera is active, try swiping up on the camera image. It you have the feature, the two side cameras slide up from the bottom. That's how it works on my other car.

Right now my workaround is to reverse, back out of the garage, hit the settings menu which will make the Homelink icon visible, close the garage door, then close the settings menu. The backup camera video is still active at this point. I picked this up from another thread.

Reactions: spectrum