Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obscene Tesla Repair Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. The air conditioning condenser in my 5 year old Model S just broke and Tesla wants to charge me $6,800 to repair it since the car is out of warranty. It blows my mind that it can charge that amount of money for an air conditioning repair. I just got off the phone with them and they said when the compressor failed it sent shards of metal into other systems near the compressor and damaged those too. How can that happen and they just say sorry it's out of warranty?! Does anyone know another company that does Tesla repairs in Toronto?

I always chuckle at the peeps who brag that an EV has few moving parts and that will put dealerships out of business. Their service centers will be empty.

Come on now.
Their service centers are only empty because of COVID. They make everyone wait outside here in Toronto. But they're certainly busy. It takes a week to get a service appointment! Between the two Teslas I've owned over the last 8 years I've had way more than my fair share of repairs due to small things breaking. I

Yes, I am sufficiently unimpressed with the lack of 3rd party service companies. Once you own a Tesla and its off warranty, you will pay a fortune if anything breaks. No other EV auto repair shops to go to, and Tesla is greedy. Yes, there are a few small businesses that service Teslas off warranty - but very few.

I can confidently say that I am back to ICE within 2 1/2 years if things don't improve. Other EV dealers are no better.

Reactions: InternetDude
How can that happen and they just say sorry it's out of warranty?!
Really? Why would you expect them to cover an out of warranty failure?

It is very common for a compressor failure to contaminate the whole system and require multiple parts to be replaced. And that is expensive, I suspect a good portion of that quote is labor costs.

...Once you own a Tesla and its off warranty, you will pay a fortune if anything breaks. No other EV auto repair shops to go to, and Tesla is greedy.

I can confidently say that I am back to ICE within 2 1/2 years if things don't improve. Other EV dealers are no better.
You very much "roll the dice" when your old Tesla is out of warranty (especially S & X). The fact that you can't even buy an extended warranty on the 3 speaks volumes... I owned an S a year out of warranty and got fed up with the endless (mostly small) repairs and forced downgrades such as supercharging speed (85 kWh battery). I laughed when they said it was $1,500 to replace my glovebox (just out of warranty), I epoxied it for $10 instead.

I went back to ICE & PHEV, good-bye Tesla the company. Love the cars... when they work, though... maybe one day they will have top quality and service and not just endless promises?? Maybe?? I'm not holding my breath.

Wow that's a lot. I would just change out the compressor and chance it for that much. I'd just buy the compressor for like $250 on ebay and flush the system.

My dad has a Ford explorer running two years already on a $250 ac compressor I got from ebay. Given they wanted $1800 anyway for the Ford. $6,800 is amazing.