Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Observations on traded-in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't find that anyone has shared their experience on this topic... I recently traded in my LR AWD EAP with Accel. Boost to Tesla for a MYP. Just out of curiosity I searched my VIN to see what might have taken place after I let it go. Not surprisingly they turned it around in a few weeks and listed it for about $9k more.

What's surprising to me however is that they removed my acceleration boost, and upgraded it to FSD. Also removed my tints and some extras. This goes to show how tesla can profit nicely from the used/trade-in market particularly via software updates. They could easily remove EAP/FSD to encourage the next owner to purchase. In the case for the Boost upgrade, they could collect twice if the next owner buys it - thats 4k no sweat. Rinse repeat.

Just thought i'd share.

Last edited:
What Tesla adds or removes from a trade in car is surely based off of their sales data. When they remove a feature it should lower the sale price of the car and when they add a feature it increases the price. In this case they removed a $2k feature (speed boost) and added an $8k feature (FSD), making the car worth $6k more, so it seems like they probably low balled you a bit on your trade in value and then made an extra $9k on the resale side. It's a pretty sweet deal for them given that $6k of that profit is 90% software based features that are still not fully implemented yet.

Reactions: calidreamz808