Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Observations with 40’s releases and recent road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phantom braking now on same road where it never did before. Car has been up and down this road thousands of times and now since the 40’s installed it's braking and sometimes hard where it never did. There’s nothing there, clear visibility, no overpasses or anything else. Frustrating. I just did a reboot to see if that’ll fix it. I’ll know this afternoon when I travel it again. Also on this one highway in last years releases it would always phantom brake at this one bridge and on ramp. In later releases it was fixed. Sadly it is back again in the 40 releases.

Completed a 10hr round trip with FSD on 40.3. I even used Autolane change and it was fine the entire trip. It moved over, took the correct exits, moved in and out of the passing lane on its own. Granted some of the changes were not the smartest but I was in no hurry and let it do it’s thing. It would move over into a lane that it was definitely going to have to move back out of into the passing lane, and it did. I think I counted 7 blinks to start the lane change and then 5 more to complete it. I didn’t understand why so many vs when I manually hit the blinker. I came to the conclusion after seeing the blue msg on screen “press to cancel”, it gives you the extra blinks to check around and decide if you want to cancel it?

Most of the time in Autopilot it would adjust the speed up and down to the 5 over as the speed limit changed on the back roads, but sometimes I had to hit the speed limit to have it adjust. Be interested to know why most times it would but sometimes it wouldn’t.

On Lincoln Hwy, Rte 30 in the Blue Ridge Mtns of PA it kept reading the truck speed limit which was way lower than the speed limit coming down the mtns, 20mph vs 50mph. Hopefully in future releases it will read the whole sign and not just numbers.

Stop signs and Stop Lights are so much better. No more coming in Hot and Braking hard.

• Informative
Reactions: MacGreiner
You're only reinforcing my opinion that I will not be spending the $8k during the lifetime that I own this car.

The issues above are mainly TACC related when I run Autopilot, i.e. slowing and braking is a TACC function, Autopilot is lane keeping. You can't run Autopilot without TACC, this is why you have to pull down twice on the stalk, first one initiates TACC the second engages autopilot. Speed limit sign and adjusting relative speed, not really sure if that is a FSD capability that also runs in AutoPilot or if it is a HW3 capability. I'm sure someone on this form maybe able to answer. Seeing I have both HW3 and FSD I don't know. Is FSD worth $8k, that's an individual decision. There is no right or wrong answer only what works for you and your money. The beauty of options, you get to pick and choose.