Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Observed public perception of the Model 3 being the inferior budget model coming from 2 Tesla family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also believe that in a couple of years the standard-range M3 will be ideal for government fleet vehicles. There is a large untapped market for city and county vehicles that only are used for 50-100 mile trips per day.

Maintenance will be a lot less, and refueling can be done at the end of the work day overnight.
Why buy +200 mile range?? many options for <110 mile daily travel.
Government is supposed to go to bid and the lowest cost wins - usually best for us actual tax payers.
buy American ? well GM may need the business by then. I suspect many options. Tesla a premium brand.
IF they allowed SMART - that would be a much better "buy".

Model 3 has been the most successful marketing campaign in human history.
Tesla barely meets the Model S/X demand and gained 25% market share in many locals.

Just which "auto campaign" have you seen work? Bolt? Volt? Has Bolt caught up to Leaf? Volt out sell Prius?
Leaf out sold Model S for years - 1st to market, lower cost so no surprise to me. Better Ad campaign? not so much.
AND with NO Ad campaign at 3x, 4x 5x the price of the Leaf, Model S out sells the Leaf.

I guess even some fans just don't get it.

We've heard the comment: "that's the cheap one right," from several people with regards to the 3. I'll usually respond by saying "only if you consider $60K to be cheap."

It doesn't really bother me anymore, not worth it to get upset because someone doesn't really know about the brand or specific vehicle.

No, they have to continue to undersell the Model 3 until they've upgraded the Model S/X interior.

They did recently upgrade the MCU so at least a new Model S/X has a zippy interface. They also improved the speed of the SW on the old MCU. So it's not as bad.

Once they upgrade the S they'll be able to add additional comforts to the Model 3. Like maybe a heated steering wheel. :p

Personally I wish they'd make a version of the 3 that looked a little meaner. To me the Model 3 always looks a bit cute. It's like a happy smallish car rolling down the road living a content life

Less sculpted sheet metal, huge wheel gaps with skinny tires, plastic wheel covers, slightly awkward proportions... people think it’s the cheap Tesla because it looks like the cheap Tesla and it’s sold like the cheap Tesla because it is the cheap Tesla.

Don’t get me wrong... it’s a great car... and I prefer it to the S in most ways, but it is the cheap Tesla no matter how much we want to talk up it’s finer points.

X owners here. We get excited every time we see a 3. They're the newest design!

We'd love those cool AC vents (hopefully it is quieter, the small vents on our X are way louder than any gas engine noise would be in our blazing TX heat). Infotainment-wise gimme CarPlay or you're still dead to me, Tesla!

Hate to break it to you but the HVAC fan is still super loud :( I have to manually turn the fan down so I can hear on conference calls while in the car. At fan speed 9 it's like a hurricane. The good news is that it flows a ton of air, the AC works extremely well in the Cheap Tesla :)

What I always notice about the Model S is how crazy wide it is. It seems wider than many big boxy SUVs. To my eye the Model3 has better proportions, slightly worsened by a high/tall rear.
Which is exactly the reason why the 3 will do well in Europe: it fits better in the city streets over here;) (for me personnaly an S or X are out of range: they are not fitting in my stone-walled typically '60-s garage :D ).

Reactions: shrspeedblade
But if production goals are met and future demand is not there because it's viewed as the inferior step child then people will likely look elsewhere and might not be great for Tesla.
Two possibilities here:
It's the inferior (why step?) child and so they buy an X or S (top in brand).
They buy something non-Tesla, but since they never buy the low end of any manufacturer they also skip Toyota (Lexus), Ford (Lincoln), Kia & Hyundai (Genesis), and all the non top BMW models.
Strange people (or strange base assumption)...

Do not compare Model 3 with S & X, they are for different people entirely.
Compare Model 3 with all other similar price range sedan. Quickly realize you get the most bang for your bucks.
Model 3 is not going to be less popular, at least not until model Y is widely available.

I have had my Model 3 for over a month and X for the few months before that. I actually prefer the 3 over my X for it's improved screen interface, zippy city performance, much longer range. X can't be beat in hauling more people and storage and falcon wing doors make it easy to get in for passengers. Hardly anybody bats an eye or shows much interest in the Model 3 in socal, and the ones who do ask if its "the cheap one." While whenever I take the X out people think its some ultra exotic like a Ferrari/Bugatti even though there are plenty on the roads in California. I think Tesla will have no issue selling the Model 3 till the back log is filled but needs to think beyond that. The Model 3 is basically marketed as a one trick pony in that its $35K and thats all non enthusiast people know about it. Tesla needs to do more in marketing the car and instead of stressing on the $35k part which everyone on the Tesla forums knows is not even out yet (or when it will be...). If they marketed the car as an electric sport sedan, A4/3 series/C class fighter and show it can hold its own in that class and that it comes in a variety of trims and price points then it would be slightly less confusing to people who have next to no knowledge about Tesla. Being known just as the "cheap one" is not good for company image and Tesla needs to fix that before its too late. Anyone have thoughts/experiences on this?

Well, if you like to brag with your car, then don’t buy the cheap generic one. You can market it as you like, it will still look like a 35k car. Do people get excited about an Audi A4? So naturally they won’t get excited about your Model 3. In the future even less than now.

Why buy +200 mile range?? many options for <110 mile daily travel.
Government is supposed to go to bid and the lowest cost wins - usually best for us actual tax payers.
buy American ? well GM may need the business by then. I suspect many options. Tesla a premium brand.
IF they allowed SMART - that would be a much better "buy".

Because 200mi range is nominal, not actual. With current battery tech the rule of thumb is, ranging by season and climate, the nominal range you should be sizing for is 40%-65% of your typical daily actual range use (unless you're in a position to have charging at both ends of a commute, so mid-day charging opportunity, that's a total of both ways). Keeping the battery charge within the range of 85% to 20% keeps the battery capacity wear to a minimum. Going below or about that regularly will accelerate wear on your battery.

This means for example that in winter, because of energy used for resistive heat for the cabin and for the battery conditioning, a 220mi range is going to be more like 90-100mi range.