Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Observed public perception of the Model 3 being the inferior budget model coming from 2 Tesla family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gallon is a measure of volume... How many electrons fit in a gallon is the real question? How far can I go if I had a gallon?

If I'm limited to Model 3 cells, how many fit in a gallon? What is that in kWh?

There's about 33.4kWh of energy in a standard gallon of gasoline. A LR Model 3 holds less than 2 gal equivalent.

P.S. Yes, I know that's not really what you asked. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
I also think that the vast majority of people don't realize how much a $35k car costs, in the terms of a standard loan. I understand the average car transaction price is up there, but when you add tax and finance charges to $35k, you can quickly hit $500+/mo with only the reservation and order payment down. $35k is out of reach for a lot of people in the US, so using 'cheap' nomenclature is pretty silly to me.

Had tints put on yesterday and one of the guys that works on hundreds of cars asked if it was an S. He's a car guy.
I made the same mistake in reverse: I thought I was looking at a Model 3, that turned out to be a Model S !
We were at the Supercharger and I walked over to say hi. I was taken aback when I saw the badge ;-)
The front is easy to distinguish, but from the side difficult unless the two cars let you see the size difference.

If the handles are hockey sticks, it's a 3
If the handles are next to each other, it's an X
If the handles are a foot off the ground, it's a roadster
Otherwise, it's an S.
Tricky part with the handles is the handles on 3 and S are in roughly the same spot and roughly similar size & shape. Unless the S handles are extended, or they are actively opening the door, it's easy to mistake when glancing. Nose is the biggest give away, especially looking at it face-on as the 3 is quite reminiscent of the Roadster from that view.

Reactions: mongo
If the handles are hockey sticks, it's a 3
If the handles are next to each other, it's an X
If the handles are a foot off the ground, it's a roadster
Otherwise, it's an S.
Ah .. now I see the difference in door handles.

Screenshot 2018-06-27 at 6.19.47 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-06-27 at 6.18.15 PM.png

+1.

The Smart car might work in Europe where everyone drives tiny econoboxes at slow speeds in town.

Buddy. The speed limit here is 50 km/h in the city as it is almost everywhere in Canada in similar conditions.

If you don't want to drive a car with 8 air bags and substantial cage and crash structure like the Smart ED, no one is forcing you.

Meanwhile based on factual crash data, the Smart is one of the safest ways to commute in the city.

And while we drive our Tesla on highway trips we almost always take the Smart for our short city errands and commute.

• Love
Reactions: Brando