Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Observed public perception of the Model 3 being the inferior budget model coming from 2 Tesla family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roll cage on wheels eh?

Smart Car slams into dump truck on 405

Last time a Tesla did something similar, driver got a broken ankle.

Dental records are probably necessary to identify the smart car driver.

I don’t pull punches on my opinions but I believe them to be truthful. Smart cars are ugly and are likely to get you killed given the majority of cars out there are high clearence trucks or SUVs

Nope!

View attachment 312429

Imagine dying and getting clowned on for having no sense and no taste.
That pic is not a smart car, it's a VW CrossFox. Driver was cut in half.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
The Model 3 is the least expensive Tesla. That doesn't mean cheap.

Do people call the 3-series the cheap BMW?

Yes, they are pretty common in LA and it's like under $300/month to lease one. I always tell my workers to get a cheap BMW 3 or a C Class. Even our production assistants, craft services, and interns drives them or a Benz CLA250.

Model 3s are known as the $35k car even when it's not being made at that price yet. Most people just use the lowest number like a $56k Porsche Cayman could come out over $100k but it's still just a Cayman and not a 911.

Model 3 will never have the image like a Model S or Model X. Honestly, I don't care because I like being anon and no one looks at me on the freeway. After 2 months only 1 guy looked at me and he gave me two thumbs up. My Model S loaner got tons of looks which seemed weird since they are all over LA.

Reactions: chickensworth
Yes, they are pretty common in LA and it's like under $300/month to lease one. I always tell my workers to get a cheap BMW 3 or a C Class. Even our production assistants, craft services, and interns drives them or a Benz CLA250.

Model 3s are known as the $35k car even when it's not being made at that price yet. Most people just use the lowest number like a $56k Porsche Cayman could come out over $100k but it's still just a Cayman and not a 911.

Model 3 will never have the image like a Model S or Model X. Honestly, I don't care because I like being anon and no one looks at me on the freeway. After 2 months only 1 guy looked at me and he gave me two thumbs up. My Model S loaner got tons of looks which seemed weird since they are all over LA.
There are tons of S and X where I'm at and people are impressed by the Model 3. I've seen people take pictures of it as I drove by.

So I'm in Target an hour ago with family (checking out a watch for the kid) and as I'm walking up the one electronics till guy says to the other "Teslas? Those are $100,000 cars."

I didn't feel the need to interject myself. Wasn't part of the conversation and that part is all I heard of it because the other agreed and that was the end. But there it was, this is the reality of "on the street" perceptions and it's going to take several 100,000 Model 3s flooding the roads to even begin to put a dent in that.

So I'm in Target an hour ago with family (checking out a watch for the kid) and as I'm walking up the one electronics till guy says to the other "Teslas? Those are $100,000 cars."

I didn't feel the need to interject myself. Wasn't part of the conversation and that part is all I heard of it because the other agreed and that was the end. But there it was, this is the reality of "on the street" perceptions and it's going to take several 100,000 Model 3s flooding the roads to even begin to put a dent in that.
The general public probably can't even tell what car the Model 3 is.

I actually hope Tesla downplays the 35k model and doesn't make any "cheaper" Tesla's. I know that sounds weird but I feel like the other car manufactures need to pony up. Honda needs to make an EV civic. I like my Tesla, the same way I like my iPhone. It's the most expensive car I've ever bought and I am okay with what I spent and I want to enjoy it for what it is. I want Tesla to stay in its "class" and not become the Honda of EV's. I love Honda BTW, just Honda is not Audi and BMW etc. We have a Honda and I love my Honda, but my fancy Tesla is my "fancy" car and I would like it to continue to feel that way. A used 3 is going to be so much more affordable then a used S.

I also agree most people who aren't as familiar with Tesla's assumes the car I am driving costs way more. I infer the 3 costs less then the S and I've had someone straight up ask me if it was 60k, most people actually will round about ask me how much it was I like to educate people so I let them know its starting price is 49k (as of when I ordered anyway).

Last edited:
I actually hope Tesla downplays the 35k model and doesn't make any "cheaper" Tesla's. I know that sounds weird but I feel like the other car manufactures need to pony up. Honda needs to make an EV civic. I like my Tesla, the same way I like my iPhone. It's the most expensive car I've ever bought and I am okay with what I spent and I want to enjoy it for what it is. I want Tesla to stay in its "class" and not become the Honda of EV's. I love Honda BTW, just Honda is not Audi and BMW etc. We have a Honda and I love my Honda, but my fancy Tesla is my "fancy" car and I would like it to continue to feel that way.

I also agree most people who aren't as familiar with Tesla's assumes the car I am driving costs way more.

I would buy the Tesla equivalent of a Corolla. Outside of the TMC bubble people still drive and buy cars 5-10K.

Any Tesla even the stripped down SR conveys an image I don’t want to present all the time.

I would buy the Tesla equivalent of a Corolla. Outside of the TMC bubble people still drive and buy cars 5-10K.

Any Tesla even the stripped down SR conveys an image I don’t want to present all the time.
I drove Honda Civic, Honda Accord, and Toyota Camry all my life before getting the Model 3. I would buy the equivalent Tesla if it was available and can do most of the things that the Model 3 can.

Roll cage on wheels eh?

Smart Car slams into dump truck on 405

Last time a Tesla did something similar, driver got a broken ankle.

Dental records are probably necessary to identify the smart car driver.

I don’t pull punches on my opinions but I believe them to be truthful. Smart cars are ugly and are likely to get you killed given the majority of cars out there are high clearence trucks or SUVs

Nope!

View attachment 312429

Imagine dying and getting clowned on for having no sense and no taste.

+1.

The Smart clown car might work in Europe where everyone drives tiny econoboxes at slow speeds in town, but it's a pretty poor choice for American roads.

----

S: the really quick one
X: the one "with the doors" (as they raise their arms like falcon wings. They almost never describe the doors with words, they just say "the doors" and use their arms)
3: the affordable one
Original Roadster: huh? Tesla made one of those?
I think many people are starting to identify the interior and dash uniqueness Once they go inside. It is understated from the outside but both owners and passengers get a reminder that this is different when they are inside

I actually hope Tesla downplays the 35k model and doesn't make any "cheaper" Tesla's. I know that sounds weird but I feel like the other car manufactures need to pony up. Honda needs to make an EV civic. I like my Tesla, the same way I like my iPhone. It's the most expensive car I've ever bought and I am okay with what I spent and I want to enjoy it for what it is. I want Tesla to stay in its "class" and not become the Honda of EV's. I love Honda BTW, just Honda is not Audi and BMW etc. We have a Honda and I love my Honda, but my fancy Tesla is my "fancy" car and I would like it to continue to feel that way. A used 3 is going to be so much more affordable then a used S.
Tesla`s "mission" never was to be some lofty premium manufacturer for the select few that can manage to shell out 100 grand for a car.. It was to establish EVs in the mass market and/or or force the rest of the industry to do so (too).
That they started in the premium segment simply was for business-survival reasons.

Also why would an entry level car diminish the value of higher class vehicles of the same manufacturer?
Does the BMW 118i make the M760li less expensive, less "fancy"?

I got my "claim" from Tesla's site. Well, that and math. Fortunately for me, I'm an analyst and can handle complex formulas. :)
View attachment 312307View attachment 312309

wow...I didn`t know the Model 3 was actually wider than the new e-class.... That´s borderline too big for me already. German city streets and parking garages and american-sized cars don`t go too well together :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Thank you for shutting up a dismissive know-it-all.

Self-certainty can’t be allowed to trump facts. (Pun accidental ... but fitting.)
I wasn’t trying to shut anyone up, rather educate. There are so many posts that make it seem like the 3 is a tiny car and the S is some kind of land yacht. With the S being less than a foot longer and a touch over an inch wider, they are very similar in size.

I was disappointed with the size of the 3 wanting it to be smaller.

Reactions: Phrixotrichus
People have come up to me asking if this (M3) is the $35k Tesla and I tell them yes, since I don't feel like wasting my breath or explaining to them the whole story. I really don't care what other people think about my car as long as I enjoy it. I'm ready for the Model Y now.

People have come up to me asking if this (M3) is the $35k Tesla and I tell them yes, since I don't feel like wasting my breath or explaining to them the whole story. I really don't care what other people think about my car as long as I enjoy it. I'm ready for the Model Y now.

The only thing I might add is "with the glass roof option, yeah." Not really a pride thing at all there, but it seems like setting their expectations reasonable.

It is interesting that Tesla ditched badging for the Model 3. Of course we don't have any yet built on the assembly line but it seems unlikely there will be any way, short of access to the display screen, to tell whether a given Model 3 has standard or long range battery. Not even clear yet if you can tell it's got AWD without sticking your head inside the wheel well or under the car. The Performance you'll see via the calipers but haven't seen anything badging?

Last edited:
Badging only helps the high end models, everyone else feels inadequate. Since they're aiming for the mass market I think it's smart to get rid of the badge, it means nothing and most people (even owners) have no idea what they mean. I remember when I had my BMW I often came across people who had no idea what 325i vs 328i vs 330xi meant nor should they care.

It won't be long before base $35k models start buying modes to make it look like the performance model anyway. I remember coming across four door BMWs with the M badge since you could get the badge on ebay for $30 and the only people that will ever know are true enthusiast.