Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obsidian Black Model S with Body Wrap worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm considering getting an Obsidian Black Model S and am interested to know the opinion of the great and good Tesla folk on three things:

1. Is getting a body wrap on the car worth doing?

2. I see a lot of people have gone for the Opti Coat. Is that better than vinyl wrap or the same thing?

3. Would either option be a good idea on the Obsidian Black paint?

Bit of an amateur with all things body wrap related so many thanks guys!

PS. For info I'm UK based and intend to use the car for my daily commute into London. Not sure if that makes a difference!

My experience:
I have a 1998 Black NSX which looks great clean, but needs frequent washings to look good. if you look closely, you can see swirls and "spider webbing," and of course paint chips.
I bought a Model S obsidian black, and have found that it cleans quite easily, I can be a bit rougher on the wrap than I would if unwrapped, and just feel better psychologically. Weird I admit. I have a full wrap with XPEL and do not regret it. After a quick wash, it looks brand new.

I highly recommend the full wrap. My 2016 Obsidian Black 90D received Xpel Ultimate full wrap upon delivery, 10 months and 6,000 miles later, it looks great. I hand wash once or twice a month using Griot's Garage products and utilize Xpel PPF Sealant. Do not expect the high gloss or luster of premium grade wax, however the protection and easy of maintainance is superb.

A full wrap is the way to go!
I just had someone back into me in a parking lot (and not leave their insurance info), it was the film that protected the paint. So having the hood wrap replaced!

This is in addition to all the other benefits of wrap!

I have Solid Black so we went with SunTek not Xpel.

I just had someone back into me in a parking lot (and not leave their insurance info), It was the film that protected the paint. So having the hood wrap replaced!

Nice! My girlfriend just had someone swipe her rear bumper in the parking lot and I was able to readjust the bumper piece but the real damage is on the paint which is very noticeable. Same deal there, no insurance left. Getting opti-coat and a full Xpel wrap right now on my car and it's awesome to hear that it really does work. Could pay for itself after 1 or 2 parking lot mishaps! Combined with a motion detected camera system with the new AP2 suite to catch these people would be fantastic.

Nice! My girlfriend just had someone swipe her rear bumper in the parking lot and I was able to readjust the bumper piece but the real damage is on the paint which is very noticeable. Same deal there, no insurance left. Getting opti-coat and a full Xpel wrap right now on my car and it's awesome to hear that it really does work. Could pay for itself after 1 or 2 parking lot mishaps! Combined with a motion detected camera system with the new AP2 suite to catch these people would be fantastic.
My wife and I both agree, the wrap was worth the money!
It was a bad scrape, to the point that I thought the paint was damaged. But my detailer/installer said it was paint transfer from the car that hit ours.