Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obsidian Black P/AWD Order Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, went with OBM after seeing 2 of them in Irvine during lunch. They look amazing in the Sun. Hope just as good at night as well.
Out of the light (say in a parking garage or at night) it is very difficult to distinguish it from Solid Black unless you are right on it. Without the light to make the flakes pop it looks black, black.

Last edited:
Update: Edit button disappeared tonight, and it prompted me to complete the credit application!

Getting excited!

Reserved 3/31/16 (online)
Invited 4/18/18
Configured 6/26/18
Edited 7/5/18 (added FSD)
Lost Edit Button 8/10/18

P3 + Performance Upgrade + EAP + FSD
Obsidian Black/Premium White

Aug '18 - Oct '18

• Love
Reactions: jdmasters
BTW, went with OBM after seeing 2 of them in Irvine during lunch. They look amazing in the Sun. Hope just as good at night as well.

Out of the light (say in a parking garage or at night) it is very difficult to distinguish it from Solid Black unless you are right on it. Without the light to make the flakes pop it looks black, black.

Went to a mall with Tesla stores tonight. They had a few OBM Model X in the garage. Both S.A. and me can't tell which black is which. There were an ODM and a Black X side by side until we got really close then we could see the flakes in the paint.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Went to a mall with Tesla stores tonight. They had a few OBM Model X in the garage. Both S.A. and me can't tell which black is which. There were an ODM and a Black X side by side until we got really close then we could see the flakes in the paint.
If there is a street light or such directly behind it, and you've got more practice in identifying it, you can usually spot the difference right at the edge of the reflection of the light. The Solid Black still looks a little flater(?). A good ceramic coat can throw that off, some though.

It seems based on the spreadsheet that more people are getting VIN's on obsidian blacks.
They finally got around to painting them :D there is also a Los Angeles Obsidian black LR scheduled for delivery today. All the other Obsidians appear to be no earlier than August 15 all of them in CA east coast NET is 25 August 2018.

No Florida yet thought spreadsheet only have 1 more with obsidian AWD in Florida

And it just prompted me to accept loan terms and confirm my information. That was quick! I have the new confirmation screen now!

Update: Edit button disappeared tonight, and it prompted me to complete the credit application!

Getting excited!

Invited 4/18/18
Configured 6/26/18
Lost Edit Button 8/10/18

Aug '18 - Oct '18

Update: VIN assigned (700XX), and they want to do home delivery in SF this Thursday! It's happening!

Invited 4/18/18
Configured 6/26/18
Lost Edit Button 8/10/18
Confirmed/Accepted Loan 8/11/18
VIN Assigned 8/13/18
Delivery Scheduled for 8/16/18

Aug '18 - Oct '18

I realize this is a P-AWD thread but just in case for the Non-P folks that might be lurking:

Config: AWD (Non-P), OBM, EAP, Aero, Black Interior

• Reserved: 3/31/16 (In-Store PST AM) (Non-Owner)
  • Invited: 4/10/2018
  • Configured: 7/12/2018
  • Edit #1: 7/23/2018 (Changed to White Interior)
  • Edit #2: 7/24/2018 (Changed back to Black Interior)
  • Lost Edit Button: Between 8/10/18 and 8/13/18 (I didn't check since Thursday, 8/9/18 until today).
  • Applied for Loan: 8/13/18
  • VIN Assigned: NA
  • Delivery Scheduled for: NA

UPDATE: Delivery date confirmed today.

Config: AWD (NON-P), OBM, EAP, Aero, Black Interior

• Invited: 4/10/18
  • Configured: 7/12/18
  • Edit #1: 7/23/18 (Changed to White Interior)
  • Edit #2: 7/24/18 (Changed back to Black Interior)
  • Lost Edit Button: 8/10/18 and 8/13/18
  • Applied for Loan: 8/13/18 (Late Night)
  • Loan Approval: 8/14/18 (Early Morning)
  • Email from IDA: 8/14/18 (Afternoon)
  • Delivery Scheduled: 8/24/18

Reactions: njsrikar
UPDATE: Delivery date confirmed today.

Config: AWD (NON-P), OBM, EAP, Aero, Black Interior

• Invited: 4/10/18
  • Configured: 7/12/18
  • Edit #1: 7/23/18 (Changed to White Interior)
  • Edit #2: 7/24/18 (Changed back to Black Interior)
  • Lost Edit Button: 8/10/18 and 8/13/18
  • Applied for Loan: 8/13/18 (Late Night)
  • Loan Approval: 8/14/18 (Early Morning)
  • Email from IDA: 8/14/18 (Afternoon)
  • Delivery Scheduled: 8/24/18
If you haven't already done so, can you please add/update your entry on the tracker Excel sheet? Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Kermee