Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Obstacle detected" - blocking acceleration - very dangerous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - with no traffic in front full acceleration is normal.

Sort of a great news.

I do hope the extemely dangerous original behavior of overriding throttle response due to miscalculation of imminent collision is fixed of course. That behavior does sound like a bug with AP2, due to the fact if the vehicle was already rolling OR one uses less than full throttle, then the throttle is not inhibited.

@Colby Boles Did you ever hear from the AP team?

No, I did not. Recently I brought this up again with my SC contact and I forwarded the emails to her to see what she could find out or try to put me in contact with them. The more recent times I have merged at this on-ramp there has been heavy traffic, so I was not accelerating enough to trigger the problem. So I won't know if the issue might be fixed or not until I have a relatively open road and a car to merge in behind.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
I have a Model X on order with enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability, delivery next month. I have read this thread with interest as I almost had an accident last week in my Acura MDX and would like to know how the Tesla would have reacted.

I was driving on 42 North (a freeway) in southern NJ getting ready to take the exit onto Interstate 295N. This area is under construction so I doubt there is a current picture of it on Google. I was in the right lane and the traffic was moderate to heavy. About five cars in front of me a genius decided to try to make the exit from the middle lane. There were four or five cars in the right lane ready to take the exit fairly close together. The genius, after cutting off a car or two, could not make the exit and ended up in jamming on his brakes and stopping in the small area just before the road and exit physically divide. The four cars not knowing what the genius was going to do all jammed on their brakes and stopped. Fortunately, no one was rear ended but it was very close. I saw this, hit the brake and stopped about fifteen feet behind the car in front of me. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw a guy coming up behind me and could tell I was about to be rear-ended. I took my foot off the brake, moved up as quickly and as much as I could (about a foot behind the car in front of me). The car behind me came to rest no more than a foot off my rear bumper (obviously he would have it me if I had not moved).

Had I been in the Tesla I am about to receive, I am asking if anyone knows (not speculates) the following:

1. Would the Tesla have automatically stopped if I had not hit the brakes?
2. Do I have to program it to do that?
3. Would it have sensed the car coming up behind me?
4. If so what would it have done, if anything?
5. Would it have stopped me from taking control and moving up to avoid being rear-ended if it takes no action?

I need to turn off my accident avoidance feature. Was going around a bend on a freeway about 60 mph and changed from the right lane to the left, the car beeped and veered right on its own. I held tightly to the steering wheel and straightened it back left. Don't know what would have happened if I didn't intervene. Guess the car thought I was going straight for the guard rail when I wasn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyF4
I hope this was not a knee jerk 'upgrade' from that Model X event where the person pushed the wrong pedal and blamed Tesla.
I believe this OP, and no I don't think it is a knee jerk reaction. I have had the X do something similar and could have caused an accident. I have learned to not trust the car when making a left hand turn out of a parking lot.

Some time ago, I was turning out of a parking lot and making a left turn onto a two way street. My intent was to turn into the center lane (where there are no cars and intended to be used for cars turning off of a main street), then when safe, to merge right and into the traffic lane. There were a couple of cars going in the direction (from right to left) that I wanted to turn. The X sensed those cars across the street and cut out my accelerator. I was rolling out into the street where traffic could have hit me in the driver door if cars had been close. I had to press the accelerator several times to get the car to move ahead and I think it only allowed me to go when the other cars had passed. They were going slowly and NOT in the center lane that I wanted to access. Far away to my left, a car was approaching quickly. Fortunately, I am in the habit of not turning left out of a business driveway and into a center lane unless there is what I think to be at least 10 seconds of time to cross the road and turn. Most people allow half that time from my observations.

I noticed another thread where an OP posted a similar situation as mine, and of course everyone was blaming him for doing something stupid without even having first hand knowledge of the situation. My assessment is the very software / hardware which is intended to prevent some accidents, can actually cause an accident if a driver does not give a LOT of additional time when turning and merging into traffic. It's premature to release such features in my opinion as it is not reliable.

Wow, I gotta say that the odds of getting INTO an accident due to this feature is probably higher than the accident avoidance feature keeping you out of one.

There are a fair number of times where I'm patiently waiting for traffic to break just enough that I can make a 90 degree and floor it to keep up with traffic. Having the car be unresponsive is just a prescription for disaster.

Whenever I get my X back from the repair shop, I think I'll turn off that accident avoidance feature...
Took the words right out of my mouth :cool:

And even if you are about to hit something, the car should never override your inputs. If you are stucked on a railroad crossing, it is better that you hit the back of the car in front of you, than letting the train hit you from the side..

Totally agree that the car should not prevent a driver from using the accelerator. My solution is that if the software sees me hit the accelerator AFTER it warned me and slowed the car, then I obviously want to over-ride its actions. Perhaps even hitting the accelerator twice in quick succession should also give me control of it.

But while on the subject of your comment, isn't it pretty stupid of a driver to sit on a railroad crossing in the first place? I've never done that and never will. Even if I don't see a train anywhere.:eek:

Totally agree that the car should not prevent a driver from using the accelerator. My solution is that if the software sees me hit the accelerator AFTER it warned me and slowed the car, then I obviously want to over-ride its actions. Perhaps even hitting the accelerator twice in quick succession should also give me control of it.

But while on the subject of your comment, isn't it pretty stupid of a driver to sit on a railroad crossing in the first place? I've never done that and never will. Even if I don't see a train anywhere.:eek:
Well for one side there's another. Someone sued Tesla for not preventing the car from moving when detecting a wall in the way. I suspect this is related to that. Basically it's an anti-wrong pedal measure.