Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obtaining service is Boise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally placed my Model S order June 30th and will be moving to the Boise area. I plan to take delivery in Portland so Tesla is responsible for any issues and maybe fix in a day or two. Road trip to Boise should be fun also.

For existing owners in the Boise area, how do you get service when needed and how have your experiences been?

It's totally cool and easy. I've been an owner here in Boise since March of 2014, so I've been through most of the phases of service levels throughout the years. First, it was from Portland, then they built the Salt Lake City service center. And for about a couple years, they were collecting service requests and then sending a Service Ranger up to the Boise area about once every month to month and a half, whenever they had enough to make it worthwhile taking a few days to hit up several service calls.

As of last summer, they had enough business here that there is a Service Ranger who lives in Boise now, who is an extension of the Salt Lake service center. His name is Matt Johnson, and his cell number is 208-901-1478. So you don't even need to set it up with the Salt Lake service center. You can just call or text him, and let him know what issue you have, and he'll let you know when he can fit you into his schedule. He does cover a pretty big area, though, with some of eastern Oregon, all of southern Idaho, and a lot of western Montana. So frequently when I text him about something, he'll reply with something like that he's in Montana for the next several days and can get to me in about a week or two. I think that timing does depend some also on what is needed since he has to get parts for some things from Salt Lake.

So it's not always fast like same day service, but it is very convenient. I had a door handle fixed a few weeks ago, and he came to my workplace, Micron, where he did a fix on another guy's car and then on mine. He just texted me when he got there, and I went out and gave him the key fob.

And even though he is a Service Ranger, which would seem limited to minor mobile things, he can do absolutely every kind of service--even major stuff. I just had my four year service done this spring, and he has an agreement with the auto shop at Westside Body Works to rent shop space to use their car lift to be able to get under it to do anything big. And he even has a P90D loaner I got to use that day while he was working on my car.

Great info. Having to give up so much free time to go to SLC ever for a service has me thinking seriously about waiting for the Mach-E.
o_O ? It sounds like you are saying that you still think you have to go to SLC to get service. Did you read this to understand that you don't have to go to SLC?

And I would be skeptical about the Mach-E. If you lived in Oregon or California, that would certainly be a good choice, but for the past decade, almost every electric vehicle from every manufacturer (with the exception of the LEAF) has only been offered in the states with the CAFE standards, and they won't certify their dealers in Idaho to touch their electric vehicles at all. I am curious if Ford is planning the Mach-E for actual nationwide availability. I suppose the new Jaguars are available in Idaho, so maybe that is changing.

We have a great team of Mobile Service Techs in the Boise area. From what I can tell, they can perform pretty much everything a Service Center can as they have a shop in Eagle, ID.

They either perform the service in your driveway or pick up the car and drop it off when they are done.

Hi J. Thank you for the information. I am a new owner of a 2015 Model S 85D. Where can I find the details for the Boise Mobile Service Techs? I am sure I will need them at some point. I worry when my 12V battery will start giving me issues. Thanks again. Cheers.

Hi J. Thank you for the information. I am a new owner of a 2015 Model S 85D. Where can I find the details for the Boise Mobile Service Techs? I am sure I will need them at some point. I worry when my 12V battery will start giving me issues. Thanks again. Cheers.
You don't contact them directly. You just request service though the mobile app on your phone just like anyone else and fill out a service request. They know your address is in the Boise area, so you will get a text back asking if you would prefer the mobile service visit, and they will schedule it with you.

You don't contact them directly. You just request service though the mobile app on your phone just like anyone else and fill out a service request. They know your address is in the Boise area, so you will get a text back asking if you would prefer the mobile service visit, and they will schedule it with you.

Hi Rocky. Sounds simple enough. Thank you for the quick response.

Rocky, have you been happy with your Model S?
Oh yes, still love it. At the end of this week, "Electric Cruisebeast" will be 6 years old from delivery date, and I have about 75,500 miles on it. I bought it to keep for the long haul, so I am not going to replace it with a newer one. I get asked sometimes about how the auto pilot or self parking or other features are, but I have to tell them that I was willing to be a fairly early adopter to help things get off the ground, so those other newer features came after I got mine. But I don't miss them.

I was confused when I kept seeing other Tesla owners talking about autopilot or TACC being this "must have" feature, and I didn't get why people thought it was so useful. Then I realized the difference in where they drive versus where I do. Most Tesla owners are statistically in the L.A. or San Fran area and have these soul crushing 2 hour commutes through bumper to bumper highway traffic, where it is simply preserving your sanity to have the car follow what's in front of you. Living in the Boise area, there usually just isn't much traffic, and it's 15-20 minute segments on the highway where I could even possibly use autopilot, so it's just not very relevant here.

I will mention a couple of things I would change. I feel like the Model S is an inverse Tardis. The outside body of the car is really large, and my wife and I have always preferred small cars for the ease of parking and maneuvering. And yet for being a very large "full size" car, the roof is so low that back seat headroom is really bad, surprisingly. I don't have the pano roof, which makes it lower too. I can't tolerate sitting in the back seat of my car because I do carry a lot of my height in my torso, so I am tall when sitting. The Model 3, amazingly, was built like a Tardis--bigger on the inside than the outside. I got to sit in the back seat of a Model 3, and was really impressed that it has about 3 extra inches of headroom than my Model S has! They accomplished some of that by lowering the seat, so some people are grumpy with how either your knees are up high, or you kind of cross your feet in front of you, but that seemed fine to me. And of course Model Y will be nice for back seat headroom.

One of the other things that's getting a little borderline is the slowed Supercharging with these older cars. I haven't had to run into it much yet, but apparently it's the way things are now with these older 85's. My wife is not patient, so the longer charge times while traveling will probably start to become more annoying to her when we do other trips again. I try to mention this occasionally as a bonus point about why the Model 3/Y are better, with so much faster charging, so we can eventually replace our 2005 Civic Hybrid, but that hasn't happened yet.

I did have a few things get repaired during the first few years, as I kind of expected with a young car company, but in warranty. I did not go for the extended warranty, and so I've been paying as I go and nothing too extensive since then. The fancy-pants slide out door handles were just not a good idea. I've been fairly lucky with those. I had one repaired in warranty, and one just barely after warranty that they were nice enough to comp me on, since it was so close. (Irrelevant side note: it was just stupid for them to use solid metal door handles that burn your hands when you touch them in the summer. That's why NO ONE uses solid metal handles!) And then recently, I had failure messages about the tire pressure monitoring system being unable to read. I waited on that a few months, thinking it might go away when I got new tires and had them rebuild the sensors as Costco, but then it started throwing other warnings, so I had to deal with it. I decided to do the retrofit upgrade from the old Baolong system that couldn't identify individual tires or display the actual PSI numbers to the newer Continental system that has those features. That was about $1,100 all-in with the labor included. But I was OK with that to get an upgrade that I liked anyway.

I've really enjoyed getting to be a bit of an adventurous road tripper through these last several years when charging resources were more interesting to find, and I got to do a fantastic 5,000+ mile road trip across the country that was a blast. Up until very recently the routes to Bend, OR and Winnemucca, NV were challenging, but they both just got CHAdeMO stations in the last couple of months, so most places around Idaho are pretty good now.

Also, side note, I am still using my original mobile charge cable from 6 years ago as my regular daily charging hanging on the garage wall, and it still works fine. I got one of those signature black wall connectors from the referral program, but I still haven't installed it yet.

Last edited:
Oh yes, still love it. At the end of this week, "Electric Cruisebeast" will be 6 years old from delivery date, and I have about 75,500 miles on it. I bought it to keep for the long haul, so I am not going to replace it with a newer one. I get asked sometimes about how the auto pilot or self parking or other features are, but I have to tell them that I was willing to be a fairly early adopter to help things get off the ground, so those other newer features came after I got mine. But I don't miss them.

I was confused when I kept seeing other Tesla owners talking about autopilot or TACC being this "must have" feature, and I didn't get why people thought it was so useful. Then I realized the difference in where they drive versus where I do. Most Tesla owners are statistically in the L.A. or San Fran area and have these soul crushing 2 hour commutes through bumper to bumper highway traffic, where it is simply preserving your sanity to have the car follow what's in front of you. Living in the Boise area, there usually just isn't much traffic, and it's 15-20 minute segments on the highway where I could even possibly use autopilot, so it's just not very relevant here.

I will mention a couple of things I would change. I feel like the Model S is an inverse Tardis. The outside body of the car is really large, and my wife and I have always preferred small cars for the ease of parking and maneuvering. And yet for being a very large "full size" car, the roof is so low that back seat headroom is really bad, surprisingly. I don't have the pano roof, which makes it lower too. I can't tolerate sitting in the back seat of my car because I do carry a lot of my height in my torso, so I am tall when sitting. The Model 3, amazingly, was built like a Tardis--bigger on the inside than the outside. I got to sit in the back seat of a Model 3, and was really impressed that it has about 3 extra inches of headroom than my Model S has! They accomplished some of that by lowering the seat, so some people are grumpy with how either your knees are up high, or you kind of cross your feet in front of you, but that seemed fine to me. And of course Model Y will be nice for back seat headroom.

One of the other things that's getting a little borderline is the slowed Supercharging with these older cars. I haven't had to run into it much yet, but apparently it's the way things are now with these older 85's. My wife is not patient, so the longer charge times while traveling will probably start to become more annoying to her when we do other trips again. I try to mention this occasionally as a bonus point about why the Model 3/Y are better, with so much faster charging, so we can eventually replace our 2005 Civic Hybrid, but that hasn't happened yet.

I did have a few things get repaired during the first few years, as I kind of expected with a young car company, but in warranty. I did not go for the extended warranty, and so I've been paying as I go and nothing too extensive since then. The fancy-pants slide out door handles were just not a good idea. I've been fairly lucky with those. I had one repaired in warranty, and one just barely after warranty that they were nice enough to comp me on, since it was so close. (Irrelevant side note: it was just stupid for them to use solid metal door handles that burn your hands when you touch them in the summer. That's why NO ONE uses solid metal handles!) And then recently, I had failure messages about the tire pressure monitoring system being unable to read. I waited on that a few months, thinking it might go away when I got new tires and had them rebuild the sensors as Costco, but then it started throwing other warnings, so I had to deal with it. I decided to do the retrofit upgrade from the old Baolong system that couldn't identify individual tires or display the actual PSI numbers to the newer Continental system that has those features. That was about $1,100 all-in with the labor included. But I was OK with that to get an upgrade that I liked anyway.

I've really enjoyed getting to be a bit of an adventurous road tripper through these last several years when charging resources were more interesting to find, and I got to do a fantastic 5,000+ mile road trip across the country that was a blast. Up until very recently the routes to Bend, OR and Winnemucca, NV were challenging, but they both just got CHAdeMO stations in the last couple of months, so most places around Idaho are pretty good now.

Also, side note, I am still using my original mobile charge cable from 6 years ago as my regular daily charging hanging on the garage wall, and it still works fine. I got one of those signature black wall connectors from the referral program, but I still haven't installed it yet.

Rocky,

Sounds like you’ve had quite the adventure with your Model S with only minor issues. Thank you for your post. I hope I also have as few and minor issues with mine. I did opt for the extended warranty through ICCU, so hopefully I’m covered for most issues which might come my way.

That was quite the road trip you took. Sounds like a lot of fun. Did you have a spare tire, or wing it? I did purchase a spare from modernspare.com. I’m sure your trip was challenging at times, but with more SC’s out there, trips are a bit easier now. The big challenge is the longer charge times as our batteries age.

I do wonder what Tesla will ultimately do about the battery issue for those of us with older Model S Tesla’s. Will they replace under warranty or leave us by the way side because they are so focused on 3’s and Y’s. We shall see. I also think Tesla is still learning about these battery packs, charging issues, and longevity. Cheers.

That was quite the road trip you took. Sounds like a lot of fun. Did you have a spare tire, or wing it? I did purchase a spare from modernspare.com. I’m sure your trip was challenging at times, but with more SC’s out there, trips are a bit easier now. The big challenge is the longer charge times as our batteries age.
Nope, I've never had a spare. And for my trip, I intentionally didn't plan it, not even what cities I would stay in, and I decided once I was about to head back to take a different route back across the country, because I wanted to have this experience to show how good the charging infrastructure is, and relatively unplanned-ish trips are very doable with an electric car.

I do wonder what Tesla will ultimately do about the battery issue for those of us with older Model S Tesla’s. Will they replace under warranty or leave us by the way side because they are so focused on 3’s and Y’s.
I am fairly sure they won't do anything like replacing because they still function. They have reduced the level of the performance of them, but since they still work and will still deliver most of the effectiveness they were made with, that fulfills their obligations. I know people will not like that they are less good than they used to be, but it's still a functioning battery, so it is what it is.

Reactions: dfndr90