Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious feature lacking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I took deliver of my 70D earlier today and it is awesome!

I spent a lot of time on this site over the past month as I awaited my MS and when I got the car today, I was shocked to learn that there was one feature missing which never would have occurred to me that it wouldn't be there.

There are no settings for the seat to move back and the steering wheel to rise when entering/exiting the car! I've had that on all of the previous cars I've had over the last decade. As a tall guy, I can't believe this is something that was omitted!

My DS did suggest a workaround where I create a second driver profile but that is clumsy and inefficient.

Apologize if this was discussed elsewhere on this forum - I couldn't find it. I really hope Tesla addresses this in future software releases.

Other than that, the car is a dream! I don't know how I could ever go back to an ICE again!

The lack of cup holders are an obvious lacking feature. The feature you want is not obvious to me. I'm 6' tall and drive with the seat all the way back so if you are also tall, I can't see how you can expect the seat to go back any further than it does already just to get in and out, or why that is even needed? Also, I can't see how moving the steering wheel is needed to get in and out. None of this seems obvious to me.

Yes it's been discussed many times. Not every car can have every feature, or Tesla would have never gotten model S out the door. Most people have no need for this, but if you do then an exit profile is very simple- once you've created it, it's just one tap.

I've not missed this even though my other cars had it. I do very much wish that it had memory settings for the passenger seat though. I doubly wish this every time my wife gets in after I've had a friend put the seat all the way back and all the way down and often leaning back farther than she prefers.

Agreed! And that's the nice thing about Teslas, the feature can be added with a software update!
Maybe, maybe not. What if by introducing such a feature they go outside the spec of the steering column and/or the seat movement parts, causing an increased failure rate or voiding the manufacturer's warranty? I'm sure the manufacturer of the components has a spec and it may not account for two adjustments per day. It's no different than Tesla's unlimited miles warranty which doesn't cover using the car 24/7 as a taxi for example. By adding such a software feature all cars now fall into two adjustments per drive typical use.

I wish the driver settings could be linked to the fobs. My wife can't reach the pedals when she gets in after I drive the car. We set up profiles of course, but it would be nice if the car recognized the fobs and changed the set/wheel before she gets in. I know its been mentioned many times before.