Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious features/functions that weren't obvious to you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find any mention of this in the manual anywhere. Today, while I was driving at highway speeds and occasionally pressing the left stalk button in for a single wipe (because the auto wipers get totally confused in light snow), I accidentally pressed the right stalk button instead. There was a chirp of an alarm and, thankfully, nothing else. The car didn't try to put itself in park or even slow down in any noticeable way. Later, when I could safely try it without anyone behind me, I tried it again and saw that the screen was saying "Emergency brake activated" (or something to that effect). I found that a quick press of the button enables the emergency brake, but thankfully only for a split second. When you hold the button in, the e-brake will apply lightly at first, and then rapidly build to a powerful deceleration.

I just thought I would share this, as it could be handy to know in an emergency if the main brake system fails. Per the manual, "the parking brake operates on the rear wheels only, and is independent of the pedal-operated brake system." It's obvious from using the car and reading the manual that this button applies the brake to park, but it was not obvious at all (to me at least) that the button could be used in this manner while driving.

I pressed this button a few times before realizing how to correctly turn off Autopilot by pressing up on the stalk. Still need to read the manual 600 miles later. Need to figure out the auto park features that were mentioned also.
Make sure you hit up rainbow road also if you haven't yet. That is greatness.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
More of a feature, I also discovered that when auto high beams turn on in a situation where I don't want them on, I can push the left stalk away from me and they will turn off without disabling the feature in the menu. I don't know yet if they just turn off for a few moments, or for the remainder of that drive. I'll try to update this when I have time to figure that out. The owner's manual mentions the opposite scenario (where they're enabled but off and I want them on), but I didn't see mention of this.
If you think of the Auto High Beam feature as "Auto High Beam Off" it makes more sense. You turn on the high beams whenever you need them using the left stalk, and it will turn them off automatically to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

At first I thought they were meant to be left on all the time but I quickly got annoyed by the high beams turning on and off all the time. Didn't take long to realize it was because I was trying to use my high beams in areas I didn't really need them.

Here's a small update to my tips/tricks now that more owners have v9 and reported new tricks:

• Press and hold the phone icon to change to old school phone icon that is renamed to "Ahoy-hoy"
• Previously when you long press on Tesla logo T it takes you to easter egg of Sketch Pad now it takes you to Atari Game Console (Credit @ChicagoP3D)
• Drag up or down from the music icon to bring the entire music sheet up or down (Credit @Runt8)
• Dash Cam: Press to save last footage (Saved in 1 minute clips) - A green check mark will appear, press and hold to pause recording (no red light indicator)
• Swipe right or down of the "Navigate button" to navigate home (or work if at home already) (Credit @TT97)
• You can close any window (Setting, Phone, HAVC, Camera etc.) by simply tapping the top of your car image on screen (Credit @privater)

Pressing Tesla will bring up Atari if stopped, sketch pad if driving..

• Informative
Reactions: follow.johnny
This thread needs a sticky, or at least turned into a list, extremely helpful. Has anyone been able to use auto park when backing into a parking space? It popped up once for me but only when I was already lined up to back in. Couple more that have probably been listed but will readd them

1. Swipe navigation to the right to use most recent, normally home and work.
2. To put in Neutral push stalk up 1/2 the distance
3. Tesla supercharger's show open slots with green bars
4. Not Tesla per say, but can say "Hey Siri read my messages" to have your most recent messages read out loud, until this is a feature in the Tesla

That's strange - I have never experienced that. Was it early in the morning (or around the time you typically go to work)?
It was really early in the morning. It was about 3 am on a Sunday morning and I was on the other side of town and not quite sure of the best route home. Usually I wouldn't go into work until 7 am on a weekday.

Anyhow, I swiped and drove for about 20 miles before realizing it was navigating me to work. Fortunately, I had to actually drive past work to get home so it's not like it took me in the wrong direction...just that the destination and ETA were wrong.