Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious features/functions that weren't obvious to you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
Given all the ways to control our cars I feel like we need a list of items that might seem obvious to one person but surprising to another. Just looking at posts here and elsewhere it is very common for people to not know everything that can be done.

My list:

1. Unlocking the mobile charger by using the button. I had no idea this worked, I thought I had to use the app or screen until two days ago when somebody was discussing this.
2. Opening the trunk by grabing the handle on the trunk. Again, I thought I had to use the app until recently as it didn't work when I first got the car (I assume my phone wasn't connecting right)

I'm sure I have a few more. Any others you guys would care to add?

Sort of similar, but my brother didn't know the cell phone dock had a cover over it until he noticed mine was closed when I showed him my console wrap

IMG-0076.JPG IMG-0077.JPG

Something that wasn't obvious to me at first was that automatic lane changes are only available in highways, even though the rest of AutoPilot can be used outside highways.

Had I known this earlier, I would've saved myself a lot of "Weird, it usually works when I'm alone..." moments when I demo'ed it out to colleagues.

Odd - that's been my experience too - even on limited access roads (speed limit 45 and limited entrances/exits), it still just sits there with the turn signal on.

The manual says nothing about this, only that you have to be going over 30mph.