Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious features/functions that weren't obvious to you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Submit an In-Vehicle Bug Report
If on 2019.5.15, press and hold the Vehicle Settings Icon.

Same as dictating a comment starting with the phrase Bug Report, only there is no message sent, just a flag on the current state of the car and image of the display is captured. Can be retrieved during a service appointment or support call.

-Randy

I've been frustrated by the mirror tilting option, because I am used being able to tilt my passenger mirror while leaving the driver mirror in it's normal state while reversing. I was excited when I read your post, but I tried it and doesn't seem to work.

I placed the car in reverse, which lowered both mirrors to tilt position. Then I scrolled the left mirror to it's normal position, then pressed save. The I shifted into park. Both mirrors went back to normal position. But the next time I placed the car in reverse they both tilted down. So then I thought maybe I have to turn off auto tilt to get your suggestion to work. But if I turn off auto tilt, and then adjust the mirrors where I want them in reverse they just stay that way all the time.

Any further suggestions?
I have the same problem. I did notice Gaswalla has a model X and mone is a model 3? Could that be the problem?

You can turn off climate control by long pressing the fan button. This allows you not to have to open the sub menu to shut it down and then have to close the window.
That is a mandatory procedure for running just the defrosters. Touch them to turn them on, but if you touch them again, they turn off, but your AC is still running. You have to use the press and hold trick instead of tapping the defrosters again to get everything back off if you activated the defrost but you don't wanna run heat or AC other than that.

-Randy

Just watching

In the comments John P. Weiksnar points out that there are TWO lumbar support bladders that you control by using the 4 cardinal directions on the lumbar control disc. I always assumed it was just up or down.

He also points out that you can say "Navigate Restrooms" to find the closest public ones. I always find it annoying when I arrive at a Supercharger there is no indication of where the closest one that won't make you buy something is. Also suggested Navigate ChargePoint or Volta

Lifetime Ban pointed out the trick of holding your finger between the E and the L in the word Model on the About screen you get to by tapping the Tesla 'T' at the top of the screen. Hold your finger for 5 to 10 seconds and the image of your car is replaced by a cool drawing. Good for those of us that removed our AeroCaps and don't find the picture representative.

-Randy

Last edited:
Posted elsewhere; Not a car feature, but If you are having trouble figuring out how to chat with a support agent:

Go to Tesla.com. Sign in. Go to tesla.com/support. Wait for a second:

screen-shot-2019-04-09-at-8-49-47-am-png.395263

Up pops the Chat message box, the chat button in the lower right appears first. It isn't there if you fiddle around, or go looking for it, there is no link. Extremely frustrating when you don't know it's a coming. But once you know it's there you know you can just wait for it.

-Randy

Don't know exactly when it was added (V9?) but I finally figured out / saw where to enable Shuffle mode for playing music off the USB stick several days ago. I hadn't used USB playback for some time but there they were: Shuffle and Repeat options. Thank you Tesla!

Reactions: Falkirk
Randy you are completely right!
While we were sitting 30 minute waiting for the Oklahoma Trooper to get out of his car, I watched the cars go by, expecting to see them in the right lane.
NO! -- Not even one. They all moved over. Never possible here in California.

The law says, paraphrasing, move over or slow down. So regardless that you are in an "expensive car" with CA plates - that officer saw you do neither. In states that have this law and courteous drivers - you will see drivers actually being courteous. Imagine that.

• Easter Egg - Rainbow charging logo on charge port light - Press the charger button on the UMC 10 times while the charger is plugged in

I tried a few times and I can’t seem to get this to work? I am on 2019.32.2.2.

Just tried it the Easter egg and verified that it's working on the latest version 2019.32.2.2 on my UMC.
See video attached: Tesla Rainbow LED Charging Easter egg

Remember to press the button 10 times in succession for it to work properly ;)

For the people having trouble with HomeLink, I have a possible cause/solution. On my older garage door opener, there is a wire that hangs down a few inches. That wire is the antenna. If you tuck that wire out of the way so the whole thing looks neater, it has a serious effect on the range that the remotes will work.

For a new tip that I didn't see in this list and just learned a few days ago, the rear air vents will not work if no one is detected in one of the rear seats. (I already knew that.) On the climate control screen, in the lower right corner, there is a button that is shaded-out. If you tap it, that will force the rear vents to be used. I assume you could turn them off if someone is sitting back there, too, but haven't tried yet.

Did you know you can auto-park into your garage w/o being in the car OR using Summon?

In Summon settings turn off "Require Continuous Press" and then double-tap the Park button

Thanks to @Yonki for the pointer

I can't get this to work on my Model X. I tried unsetting and then resetting the "Require Continuous Press" just in case. According to the manual, you need to be in park, then double tap the park button, but I tried both from Drive and Park with no luck.

I just learned how to turn on the wiper manually by pressing the button on the end of the turn signal. And if you press it all the way in it sprays fluid.

You can also manually turn on the high beams by pushing forward on that stalk.

Things I assumed were all controlled with the screen. I didn't even realize that button was there until I started playing around with the sticks to see what they did.