Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OC Road Trip to Sedona

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings, I've had my Long Range Model 3 for almost 2 years and have never taken a trip further than Paso Robles from Orange County. Any tips, or issues I should be aware of before I take on what looks like a fun road trip?
Side note, seeing how much gasoline costs right now, I am looking forward to using the last 900 free miles I have on my account :cool:

Last edited:
If you can, supercharge only when battery is below 15%. That's if you want to minimize time spent at sueperchargers. Don't try to charge at 80%+ unless you want that extra time to finish eating at a restaurant or something.

Should be a very straight forward trip! Have fun

If you can, supercharge only when battery is below 15%. That's if you want to minimize time spent at sueperchargers. Don't try to charge at 80%+ unless you want that extra time to finish eating at a restaurant or something.

Thank you very much for the advise XPsionic, looking forward to seeing the Sedona area in an electric car. Any advice from anyone as to what not to miss, or favorite places to eat, charge, etc. greatly appreciated in advance :)

Any advice from anyone as to what not to miss, or favorite places to eat, charge, etc. greatly appreciated in advance

We visited Sedona 4 or 5 years ago and we stayed at one of our all time favorite hotels, The Enchantment Resort. This is a 5-star hotel set among the redrocks of Sedona. After our visit at The Enchantment Resort, we then went on the Grand Canyon. My kids and I agreed that the Grand Canyon was a let down after our visit to Sedona and The Enchantment Resort. That speaks to how awesome it was!

Plus, they appear to have 4 Tesla destination connectors on site:

Thank you very much for the advise XPsionic, looking forward to seeing the Sedona area in an electric car. Any advice from anyone as to what not to miss, or favorite places to eat, charge, etc. greatly appreciated in advance :)
I live an hour from Sedona. A lot of sites to see, depending on the amount of time you have. Best view of Sedona is up airport road. Best view of the city you can find. Many great hikes, pink jeep tours, great places to eat, micro brewery, shopping. Supercharger station also at a good Mexican restaurant.
Glad to offer any help if needed for the area. You can easily spend a couple of days in that area. Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Jerome, Prescott, all kinds of neat places to go.

I've roadtripped in my M3LR twice this year and stopped in Sedona for a few days both times (from Tennessee). Sedona is beautiful, you're in for a treat!

There's so much fantastic eating in Sedona that it's hard to recommend a single place, but since you'll definitely be spending some time at the superchargers in the Oak Creek area (south Sedona), do yourself a favor and check out Rotten Johnny's pizza right next to the chargers!

If you're into hiking there's an overwhelming number of incredible trails around Sedona, but I'd recommend the Bell Rock hike/climb since it's easily accessible and has a decent amount of parking. The Cathedral Rock hike/climb is also a good one and the view from the top is pretty surreal, but the trailhead parking lots are unreasonably small for its popularity so plan ahead if you want to do this one.

We are doing Tuscon then to petrified forrest in the early spring with the Tesla. My youngest wants to see the missile silo and the gunfight show at Old Tucson. I've been mapping out superchargers and alternate sites if we decide to get off the main highway. We talked about GC and Sedona but when I told her about the silo, thats all she can talk about now :)

We are doing Tuscon then to petrified forrest in the early spring with the Tesla. My youngest wants to see the missile silo and the gunfight show at Old Tucson. I've been mapping out superchargers and alternate sites if we decide to get off the main highway. We talked about GC and Sedona but when I told her about the silo, thats all she can talk about now :)
Missile Silo is neat to see, a real step back in time. If want to see old west town, maybe Tombstone might be a better choice, commercialized but some history, If going there Kartchner Caverns is worth the stop, Bisbee is also a different place.
Many different places to stop in AZ, and charging is usually not really an issue. Hotels with charging not uncommon also.

Just did this trip. My first “long“ trip since getting my M3P in early 2020. Thought I would provide some notes for anyone looking to do this in the future. Went with the entire family (wife, 3 teenage kids).

On the way there, we took it easy, with autopilot/TACC set for max speed of 75 mph. Started with 100% charge. Planned the route using a better route planner app. Stopped at Indio, Quartsite, and Wickenberg (Roughly 1.5-2 hours between each leg, and we typically switched drivers). At each site, getting food, bathroom breaks for 5 people took way longer than the amount of time needed to charge to get to the next stop. So, we always had plenty of charge. In some cases, got to 90% charge by the time we were all ready to go. In Sedona, we stopped at the Sedona supercharger to charge up to 100% while we had desert, relaxed. During the rest of the trip, we were able to trickle charge at our airBnB, since we stayed local.

Spent a few lovely (though hot) days in Sedona hiking the major spots. Also took a guided tour of Grand Canyon (sans Model 3- though we could have easily made the trip in the Tesla).

On the way back, we stopped at Buckeye, Quartzsite, and Indio. Same as above, but max speed on autopilot was 80 mph, always had more charge than needed due to food/bathroom breaks. We did have to wait about a minute at Buckeye and 5 minutes at Indio for a charger.

Overall, over about 1050 miles, averaged 282 Wh/mi. Should note that I replaced the original 20” wheels with Tsportline 19” TS5 wheels. Im pretty sure the average Wh/mi were lower on the way there than on the way back (forgot to record the number), maybe due to faster autopilot limit?

Glitches: On the way back, about an hour before getting to Indio, the screen reset itself while my daughter was taking a turn at the wheel. Was a little disconcerting, but OK. Then, about 10 minutes later, we had a phantom braking incident in autopilot. Luckily there was no one behind us at the time. When we got to Indio, I did a two button reset and haven’t had any issues since.

Not necessarily a glitch, but the Navigation in Sedona was off. Sedona has a bunch of roundabouts, and Nav kept telling us to take the wrong exit out of the roundabout (I.e., Nav tells us to take the first exit out of the roundabout, when it clearly shows on the map that it should be the second exit).

Also note that 3 teenagers in the back seat is tight. Since we took turns driving, they were able to get breaks, but a wider car would have been more comfortable. Told my wife maybe we should consider a Model S Plaid…

Other than that, everything was great, and Sedona is a beautiful place to visit. Would definitely recommend, and hope to do it again sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdsco

I like spending a little extra time at the charger to give me less anxiety over making it to the next one. lol. this goes for road trips anyways.

I like spending a little extra time at the charger to give me less anxiety over making it to the next one. lol. this goes for road trips anyways.

I do the same thing for most part. Especially when I'm stopping at multiple SC. Last SC stop on road trips I may cut a little closer, if have a destination charger at final stop for the day. Save that last $:)

Yeah, I didnt mind spending a little extra time at the SC, and as I stated above in my trip report to Sedona, it was easy to do. By the time you order food, get it, eat it, run to the bathroom, the car had plenty of time to charge up.

Reactions: Blacktes24