Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OC Tesla Meet - May 21, 2016 - Drive and Battleship Iowa - Armed Forces Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AEdennis

Jul 23, 2013
Hi All,

Event: Battleship Iowa Drive
When: Saturday, May 21st

Schedule:
- 8:45am Meetup at Starbucks Sunset Beach Parking Lot
- 9:30am Start Drive through PCH, 2nd Street, Downtown Long Beach, then over the Vincent Thomas Bridge
- 10:00am Arrive at Battleship Iowa Museum
- 12:00pm Lunch at San Pedro Fish Market

Details below:

As discussed at our April Brunch at Bru, we've planned a drive to the Battleship Iowa on May 21, 2016. We're looking at gathering around 8:45 AM at the Starbucks in Sunset Beach (16470 Pacific Coast Highway, Huntington Beach, CA 92649).

There's large parking lot by Starbucks that we can chat and take photos until around 9:30 am and then start our drive to the Battleship Iowa museum (Battleship USS Iowa Museum, 250 South Harbor Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90731.) According to Google maps, this drive without traffic it shows a 31 minute drive through 14 miles.

We're using our new Meetup page for the OC Tesla Club for our use and we will track this event using that method. As such, please join the group on that system and sign up for the event there.

Our advance ticket prices are heavily discounted according to the following schedule and we will also have a special parking lot that I will email to participants, so make sure we have that.

General Admission Adult - Regular Price: $19.95 - Online Club Price: $15.50
General Admission Youth - Regular Price: $11.95 - Online Club Price: $9.50
General Admission Senior - Regular Price: $16.95 - Online Club Price: $13.50
General Admission Military - Regular Price: $16.95 - Online Club Price: $13.50
Child (5 & under) FREE

Here's our link

Email us at [email protected] to get the password for the discount (and to get added to the email list.)

Our ticket prices are for self-guided visit, the museum will also provide a tour guide for groups, for an extra $75 charge for EACH GUIDE. If folks would like to do that, please let me know by May 16 so we can get that locked up. It's recommended to have a minimum of 20 - 25 people for the guided tour and we pay for that onsite, so I'll ask those interested to bring cash for that fee. We'll tally up and let folks know if we hit the count and whether the cost is $3 or $4 per person.

I have to figure out whether we can track this under our new Meetup group RSVP system or if I'll need an email from you folks. Please bear with us as we transition to this new tool.

With a potential mix of those that might do a self-guided tour and those that may opt for a tour guide, we won't know how long the visit to the Battleship Iowa will be. The estimate for the self-guided tour is about an hour and a half.

However, if folks are interested in getting together for lunch after the visit to the museum, we're thinking of stopping off at the San Pedro Fish Market (190 Nagoya Way, San Pedro, CA 90731) (In reading the online descriptions, it looks like customers can get their own seafood, have it prepared, and then bring it out to the casual tables. Here is the menu for the restaurant)

Remember to do your RSVP on the Meetup page for the OC Tesla Club for the count and if you want to save money on the tour, purchase tickets using our link and code and send us an email to [email protected] to get the group password for the discount.

Thanks,

OC Planning Committee
@Apoclyps, @capt601, and @AEdennis

Last edited:
Reactions: TaoJones
BUMP.... The drive is next week and would love to have a lot of folks driving with us. If you're not interested in the Battleship, there's always Ports o' Call nearby.

We have free parking at the Battleship Iowa location to show of cars while we head to the Battleship as well...

The Drive is this Saturday and we'd love to see you join us.

2 or 3 X owners (not sure if they'll take their X or S), several S, and at least one Roadster (my wife's if the weather is good)

Come join us.

I'm in the wrong part of the state to join the drive, but for anyone still deciding, I highly recommend seeing the Iowa. I got to visit it in Richmond, CA several years ago...they had it open for visits for a few weeks just before it was towed to its current location. I'm sure it's been fixed up somewhat since I saw it, but wow was this ship impressive!

Bruce.

I'm in the wrong part of the state to join the drive, but for anyone still deciding, I highly recommend seeing the Iowa. I got to visit it in Richmond, CA several years ago...they had it open for visits for a few weeks just before it was towed to its current location. I'm sure it's been fixed up somewhat since I saw it, but wow was this ship impressive!

Bruce.

Thanks for the information @bmah. The club actually has at least one member that has served aboard the Iowa and will be joining us for the drive and visit. You know, it's not that hard to get down to Southern California from Northern California along either the 5 or 101. We picked up our S from Fremont in 2013 when there were a lot less Superchargers for that journey. We welcome everyone to join. (and we get a discount for the group.)

It looks like we may be up to 3 Xs (depending on whether members will drive their X or S), still looks like my wife and I are the only Roadster, unless someone else with a Roadster joins us on the ride.

As for the guided tour, as of today's registration of interest deadline, the current count for folks that opted for the guided tour is 11 and we're at an $8 per person average. If more join to do the guided tour at this point, it will help drive the cost down for those on the tour. We have room for a bit more.

We look forward to seeing those that RSVP on Saturday. It's not too late to join us.

Thanks to @Mark Z for taking the Caravan lead in his X and for Andy T to take the rear of the caravan in his X.

Considering some of the challenging traffic conditions, great job by all to stick together.

As I mentioned previously, I have uploaded some photos on the Meetup group for the event.

Here is a sampling of some of the pictures...

It was great to see those of you that were able to make it to the drive...

26884124130_e6f17ab403_c.jpg
27125382636_ea62081422_c.jpg
26884125530_cd7660cc77_c.jpg
27125383386_d53e9fa808_c.jpg

and visit to the USS Iowa.

26553452003_48d4c63085_c.jpg

Final car count:

1 Roadster, 9 Model S, 2 Model X... (No 3s yet... (we're all still waiting)).

View of the VIP parking lot from the deck of the USS Iowa.

27058788032_3b67032179_c.jpg

Reactions: Mark Z and bmah