Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Occasional ‘crack’ sound after engaging drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My LFP Tesla has started occasionally making a loud ‘snap’ sound like a stone hitting the windscreen.

Appears to come from drivers B pillar. Only seems to happen once per journey after drive (or reverse) is selected.

Doesn’t always happen.

I’ve read this could simply be battery thermal noise and nothing to be concerned about.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Update…. raised my first ever service request. It’s already been updated with a task, so I assume this is a known issue.

Attachments

• 7E1F2F2D-27CB-4740-A853-4808409B450F.png
    7E1F2F2D-27CB-4740-A853-4808409B450F.png
    289.8 KB · Views: 166
I think the supermanifold insulation thing may well be just a soft recall that is unrelated to your actual issue and would have been done anyway next time you are in a service centre. Tesla do this a lot for low impact issues, where they don't proactively request you come in for service, but perform the fix next time you are there for another reason.

My mobile appointment has just been changed to a service centre one.

As this is all new to me, can anyone tell me how I find out how long they will need it for and if I wait/get courtesy car? There doesn’t appear to be a number to call - Reading SC.

Update - I replied to the text to ask how long they need the car. Was told a full day, but no loan car as not over a day.

I start a new job next week, so can’t take a whole day off to sit in a SC so will have to cancel for now.

A shame I couldn’t actually get to speak to anyone to discuss the issue.

Is it not the dashboard plastic creaking/cracking in the hot weather when the cold aircon comes through?

I get it occasionally but only when getting in the car without pre-cooling/heating, I’ve always put it down to the silver plastic piece on the dashboard rapidly cooling/heating causing it to contract/expand.

Is it not the dashboard plastic creaking/cracking in the hot weather when the cold aircon comes through?

I get it occasionally but only when getting in the car without pre-cooling/heating, I’ve always put it down to the silver plastic piece on the dashboard rapidly cooling/heating causing it to contract/expand.
You could well be right. It only does it once, so that could be a trim thing.

Any update on this? I have the same problem. Took it to Tesla twice and they took the dashboard apart - apparently it is "normal". Demonstrated to a service guy and he said it isn't normal, bring it back. Booked in for July now.

A loud cracking noise when the car cools down, supposedly coming from under the dashboard. Very annoying and not acceptable for such an expensive car.

I have the same issue on my M3 RWD 2022.

A single, loud crack like a stone hitting the right hand side of the wind screen. Typically within the first 30 seconds of driving.

Varies in intensity. Sometimes it’s like a fire-cracker going off.

Does seem heat/cooling related but I’ve never had this in any other car. It also never did it in the first year. Even when I skipped pre-cooling. Suggesting something has changed.

I started noticing the noise around February of this year. So for me it occurs in even cool ambient temperatures.

Update:
Left the car at the Tesla SC for 2 days. They couldn’t replicate the fault, but removed and replaced the “decor” trim (I believe it was the silver plastic trim behind the steering wheel). I left the car parked in the sun twice since, cabin up to almost 30c and no cracking noise noticed since.

I am cautiously optimistic, but so far it looks like it has been rectified. As someone else mentioned, it seems to be the silver trim. It could be as simple as removing and replacing it.

Whether or not it returns at a later date is another matter, but for now I am happy.

I start a new job next week, so can’t take a whole day off to sit in a SC so will have to cancel for now.
I sat in the SC for about an hour recently, only time I’ve been there. The videos being played were outstanding. One showed a Tesla being built, another the New Zealand test track.

Are these videos available on-line somewhere?

I had a rattle behind the video display, been tolerating it for two months. A service call to my house did nothing to fix it so I got an appointment at the service center. Tech says; I think I know what it is, but let’s go for a test drive. Directed me to some rough pavement nearby. Yep, that’s it. I knew I was in good hands.

Driving home, it was like a different car.

Last edited: