Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Occluded Camera Notifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Okay so last night while driving 2 hours at night with an outside temperature of 38-44 degrees Farenheight, I must have gotten at least 10 one or more occluded side camera notifications. They also said that FSD wouldn't function, yet it did. Several times it even said a repeater camera was obstructed or blinded, yet when I looked at the camera feed, they were fine. Not sure if this FSD beta is screwing things up or what, but it happened on city roads and the highway. At first I thought maybe the side pillar camera's had condensation in them, but they are supposed to have heating to take care of that, like the windshield camera's do. All I know is that I never had this issue a year ago. Is anyone else having it?

Reactions: P100DL !
In the conditions you describe I have always gotten camera blinded/obstructed warnings on my October 2021 build M3P. Sometimes one pillar camera, sometimes multiple cameras.

The car has never refused to use TACC or Autosteer when I wanted to, and I haven't noticed any correlation with poor TACC behavior. So there doesn't seem to be any functional impact to basic Autopilot. I've always assumed this would be more of an issue for EAP and FSD functionality, so it's interesting to hear that FSD still functions with those warnings shown.

Last edited:
Okay so last night while driving 2 hours at night with an outside temperature of 38-44 degrees Farenheight, I must have gotten at least 10 one or more occluded side camera notifications. They also said that FSD wouldn't function, yet it did. Several times it even said a repeater camera was obstructed or blinded, yet when I looked at the camera feed, they were fine. Not sure if this FSD beta is screwing things up or what, but it happened on city roads and the highway. At first I thought maybe the side pillar camera's had condensation in them, but they are supposed to have heating to take care of that, like the windshield camera's do. All I know is that I never had this issue a year ago. Is anyone else having it?
This is just a safety warning, though in some cases you might have degraded AP functions. Basically the car is saying "I can't recognize any objects (including roadway) through this camera". At night, of course, its just because there is insufficient light (when driving down unlit roads), but the car is being cautious because it could be a camera malfunction or the camera covered. If you get this warning in the daytime take it seriously, though.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I've noticed the blinded / blocked camera warning lately but I'm fairly sure that it's reporting the pillar camera status and not the "repeater". The repeater camera view you can see on the screen is coming from the front fender cameras. As far as I know, there's no way to view the pillar cameras inside the car.

For me, the source is obvious: the sun is shining low on the horizon and blinding the camera. A few seconds traveling in a slightly different direction and the warning goes away.

What software version are you on? I've been on 2022.4 for a couple of weeks and in that time have received a few camera blinded warnings. But I've also been driving more than normal in the morning and evening. As far as I know, I've not gotten a warning about the repeater feeds being blocked.

I've had this problem since the vehicle was new (October 2021 M3 in the UK). Recent Software upgrades seem to have reduced this - but it's happened for 1 and more cameras - usually Pillar cameras. I've called Tesla about it twice and they just say install the latest Software.

Just had this issue during a long night drive (dark, remote hwy). Car is on 2022.20.17.
Really made for annoying drive as the audible alarm distracts from the music or audio. Still worked, just the constant loud beep.
I was driving west on a road along railroad tracks. There was lighting along the railroad tracks on my right. There was nothing but a scrub pine forest on my left and it was pitch black on that side. I got the camera warning as I drove through there. On my drive home I got the warning again as I traveled east at the same exact location. I later deduced that the cause of the warning was the extreme darkness on one side of the car.

I was driving west on a road along railroad tracks. There was lighting along the railroad tracks on my right. There was nothing but a scrub pine forest on my left and it was pitch black on that side. I got the camera warning as I drove through there. On my drive home I got the warning again as I traveled east at the same exact location. I later deduced that the cause of the warning was the extreme darkness on one side of the car.
Exactly. If the computer sees nothing but black on a camera, it assumes that either the camera is bust or covered, hence the warning. It's essentially a safety warning, unless its daylight when it pops up :)

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Exactly. If the computer sees nothing but black on a camera, it assumes that either the camera is bust or covered, hence the warning. It's essentially a safety warning, unless its daylight when it pops up :)
And this is why FSD will never be feature complete with the current hardware. For crying out loud, my iPhone's camera can see better than I can in low light conditions, my Tesla should have that same ability if it's going to keep me safe while driving itself.

On a two hour drive at night I must have had at least 30 notifications that Full Self-Driving my be degraded, one or more side cameras occluded. This is odd because when I looked through the rear camera and side repeaters they easily could see the road because of the headlight and car tail light glare. And I'd think that the pillar cameras would also easily be able to see ahead from the headlight glare. These notifications are happening so frequently now that it's ridiculous. The driving display is also showing a phantom vehicle on the drivers side behind and to the left, just outside of the highway lanes. This is another thing that keeps happening too. Anyone else having these issues?

We just returned from a 3400 round trip from CO to FLA and we did each way non-stop. At night on long stretches of highway without streetlights we got tons of camera obstruction messages. Cameras were all perfectly clean and as was mentioned earlier it seems as though it is just because there is not enough ambient light to view things. Autopilot worked flawlessly though. No phantom vehicles were seen @Resist.

It is an odd issue because as I said the cameras could still see just fine, just from the cars lights. So Tesla really needs to figure out this camera occluded issue. Getting so many alerts makes using the beta on the highway annoying now, and it used to be that Autopilot on the highway was great relieved my driving stress. I really can't see buying FSD again, if I get a new Tesla and I certainly wouldn't "rent" it with the subscription, both options just cost way too much for what it gives.

It is an odd issue because as I said the cameras could still see just fine, just from the cars lights. So Tesla really needs to figure out this camera occluded issue. Getting so many alerts makes using the beta on the highway annoying now, and it used to be that Autopilot on the highway was great relieved my driving stress. I really can't see buying FSD again, if I get a new Tesla and I certainly wouldn't "rent" it with the subscription, both options just cost way too much for what it gives.
I am confused. Did you lose FSD or Autopilot? What were you issues? Our 2022 M3LR on autopilot worked at night with all the issues you are describing.

Did your car not allow autopilot?