TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ocean Blue and Deep Blue Metallic

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by jeffro01, Jul 9, 2015.

1. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

I must be confused or maybe I just missed something but are these the same two colors with different names? Or is the "Deep Blue Metallic" just like the "old" blue?

I REALLY loved the Ocean Blue, which I believe is the color on the homepage 70D. What happened?

Jeff

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The old blue was almost black when not in direct sunlight. The new Ocean blue is lighter and I like it better but personal choice of course.

3. bjwModelS

bjwModelS Member

'Ocean Blue' does not formally exist. 'Deep Blue Metallic' is the 'new blue' that you see on the Tesla homepage. It looks like this:

June26-BJW_4831.jpg

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My son thought my car was black for the first few months I had it until he saw it in the sun. I lean towards dark colors (my last car was black) and so prefer the "old" blue to the "new" blue, but that's just me. My wife saw a white one and I haven't heard the end of "Why didn't you get white?" I guess that's why we have choices!

5. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up for me!!!

Jeff

6. RMG007

RMG007 Member

Ocean Blue and Depp Blue Metallic are the same color. Tesla called it Ocean Blue for about a week when the color was first released.

7. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

Off-topic

I'm confused about Grey. There was old Dolphin Grey; last year it was replaced with (darker) Steel Grey. Then Steel Grey was discontinued for Midnight Silver - which if anything, seems closest to the old blue as it's very dark.

There was a thread awhile back with a link to gallery photos of the various colors. I've been searching but haven't been able to find it....

8. timf

timf Member

Much like Ocean Blue vs Deep Blue, Steel Grey and Midnight Silver are the exact same color only Tesla changed the name for some unknown reason.

9. muleferg

muleferg Member

My car is called metallic grey

IMG_2052.JPG

10. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

AKA Dolphin Grey? That looks great!

- - - Updated - - -

Gotcha, thanks for confirming.

11. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Yep I believe that is Dolphin Grey. Tesla introduced a darker Steel Grey, and the most recent grey is called Midnight Silver. All of these successively darker.

My fav. color certainly is the new blue. You can see pictures of my car here -

And she is blootiful!
    and here -
    XPel, Opticoat etc. alternative for cheapos

You'll have to thumb through some pages, but accurate pictures of the new blue are hard to come by.