TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ocean City MD getting HPWC's

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by yobigd20, Aug 13, 2015.

1. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the video. I hadn't seen it before.

2. Lanny

Lanny ~

The six charging stations at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront are powered on as of today. I'm told that the HPWCs are set to 80 Amps but I haven't checked.

Might be time to make a popcorn run. :)

IMG_3182.JPG

Lanny

3. thedaysbetween

Lanny +1

Any idea when the HPWCs at the Convention Center are due to be lit up?

4. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

On October 13th I received the following response from Terry McGean the city engineer for Ocean City, "No time frame right now, depends on Tesla. Best I can tell you is before next season."

5. AuKirk

AuKirk Member

What a great thread... I was excited when I saw this article today, but I guess the Telsa community is already out front on this.

Three Locations Selected In OC For Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

We spend most of the summer in North Ocean City, so I am really hoping they get a CHAdeMO charger at northside park before next season so we can leave the gas guzzler at home.

6. Lanny

Lanny ~

Used the new Destination Charging HPWCs at the Holiday Inn at 67th St. in OC on Wednesday.

PlugInSites_org-OCHolidayInn-1.jpg

-Lanny

7. andrewket

8. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Andrew

Yes - the HPWC's are 80amp and the J1772's are supposed to be 30-40amps.

Aaron

9. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

#29 CHRGIT, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    I charged at the Holiday Inn last weekend and the car was reading 40amp. Regarding the chargers at Northside Park, they will be regular J1772 installed by the EV Institute. They will be free to use. The council approved locations at 100th Street (the library), and up at Northside Park. They are also looking for a location on the south side of town, but they do not want to give up the parking revenue if the spots stay empty. This is great news as Ocean City is also putting in HPWC at the convention center. The city council is in favor of electric charging stations. The Reach the Beach event last Spring is still in their memory. Seeing all of those Tesla's leaving town and heading to Salisbury since there was no charging infrastructure in OC.

10. Lanny

Lanny ~

I was there on Wednesday and tested all six charging units. Indeed the HPWCs were incorrectly set to 40 Amps. The hotel manager was with me and he wanted to know if they were putting out 80 Amps because they had specifically ordered and paid extra for circuits to handle 80A and Aaron had communicated with the hotel to remind them to have the electrician set the internal switches to 80A. The hotel manager called the electrician right away and the hotel reports that they came out today and switched it to 80A. Next person to go out there, please confirm.

Here is a map of the present and planned locations of charging stations in Ocean City.

PlugInSites_OCproposed Charging Map.png

Green pin is the Holiday Inn Oceanfront which is online.
    Orange pin is CHAdeMO under construction.
    Yellow pins are proposed public stations.

Click here for a more detailed map.

Lanny

11. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Lanny, as I always say, you ROCK!!

12. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

image.png Set for 80 amps

13. andrewket

It's amazing to me how many electricians miss the step to set the internal dip switches. It's in the manual clear as day. Clearly they are not reading the manual. As soon as they get a green light they're gone.

14. thedaysbetween

I had an email exchange with the City Engineer for Ocean City about the HPWC destined for the Convention Center who says that "We have received the equipment from Tesla and are awaiting the meter installation from DPL. I would expect the station to be installed within the next 30 days. ".

That will be great.

15. Lanny

Lanny ~

Also, the DC Fast Charger with a CHAdeMO port is now available at the Royal Farms on Rt 50 in West Ocean City. (The orange pin on the map)

16. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

On 1/14 I received the following from Zach Wade, Chief Sustainability Officer of EV-Institute, "As of this week site surveys are finished. We are starting the process to begin installation at each location. We will announce to the public when the chargers will be available to use : )". This would be for the J1772 chargers at 100th Street (Near the library) & 127th Street (Northside park).

17. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

Thanks for the info everybody!. OC is very important to us.

18. scot

scot Member

Are the holiday inn HPWC outlets available to all for free, guests only, or do they charge for access? Unclear based on what has been said so far.

19. Thinkje

Thinkje Member

According to the description at Holiday Inn Oceanfront | Tesla Motors, they are available for patrons only (I assume patrons of the hotel or Touch of Italy restaurant).

20. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

I have used the Holiday Inn chargers numerous times, see plugshare. I have never paid to use, but have visited Touch of Italy each time. I have never been questioned over using the chargrers. In the off season they do not check parking permits. In season might be another issue. I think the chargers put in by EV-Institute may be open. The permits were issued and appear to be now closed. Heading down this weekend and will investigate the locations at 3rd street, 100th & 125th. Also the city was putting in HPWC at the convention center. Last I heard they had the equipment but were waiting on Delmarva Power.