Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ocean City MD getting HPWC's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The six charging stations at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront are powered on as of today. I'm told that the HPWCs are set to 80 Amps but I haven't checked.

Might be time to make a popcorn run. :)

IMG_3182.JPG

Lanny

I charged at the Holiday Inn last weekend and the car was reading 40amp. Regarding the chargers at Northside Park, they will be regular J1772 installed by the EV Institute. They will be free to use. The council approved locations at 100th Street (the library), and up at Northside Park. They are also looking for a location on the south side of town, but they do not want to give up the parking revenue if the spots stay empty. This is great news as Ocean City is also putting in HPWC at the convention center. The city council is in favor of electric charging stations. The Reach the Beach event last Spring is still in their memory. Seeing all of those Tesla's leaving town and heading to Salisbury since there was no charging infrastructure in OC.

Last edited:
I charged at the Holiday Inn last weekend and the car was reading 40amp.

I was there on Wednesday and tested all six charging units. Indeed the HPWCs were incorrectly set to 40 Amps. The hotel manager was with me and he wanted to know if they were putting out 80 Amps because they had specifically ordered and paid extra for circuits to handle 80A and Aaron had communicated with the hotel to remind them to have the electrician set the internal switches to 80A. The hotel manager called the electrician right away and the hotel reports that they came out today and switched it to 80A. Next person to go out there, please confirm.

Here is a map of the present and planned locations of charging stations in Ocean City.

PlugInSites_OCproposed Charging Map.png

Green pin is the Holiday Inn Oceanfront which is online.
Orange pin is CHAdeMO under construction.
Yellow pins are proposed public stations.

Click here for a more detailed map.

Lanny

I was there on Wednesday and tested all six charging units. Indeed the HPWCs were incorrectly set to 40 Amps. The hotel manager was with me and he wanted to know if they were putting out 80 Amps because they had specifically ordered and paid extra for circuits to handle 80A and Aaron had communicated with the hotel to remind them to have the electrician set the internal switches to 80A. The hotel manager called the electrician right away and the hotel reports that they came out today and switched it to 80A. Next person to go out there, please confirm.

Here is a map of the present and planned locations of charging stations in Ocean City.

View attachment 100989

Green pin is the Holiday Inn Oceanfront which is online.
Orange pin is CHAdeMO under construction.
Yellow pins are proposed public stations.

Click here for a more detailed map.

Lanny

It's amazing to me how many electricians miss the step to set the internal dip switches. It's in the manual clear as day. Clearly they are not reading the manual. As soon as they get a green light they're gone.

I had an email exchange with the City Engineer for Ocean City about the HPWC destined for the Convention Center who says that "We have received the equipment from Tesla and are awaiting the meter installation from DPL. I would expect the station to be installed within the next 30 days. ".

That will be great.

On 1/14 I received the following from Zach Wade, Chief Sustainability Officer of EV-Institute, "As of this week site surveys are finished. We are starting the process to begin installation at each location. We will announce to the public when the chargers will be available to use : )". This would be for the J1772 chargers at 100th Street (Near the library) & 127th Street (Northside park).

I have used the Holiday Inn chargers numerous times, see plugshare. I have never paid to use, but have visited Touch of Italy each time. I have never been questioned over using the chargrers. In the off season they do not check parking permits. In season might be another issue. I think the chargers put in by EV-Institute may be open. The permits were issued and appear to be now closed. Heading down this weekend and will investigate the locations at 3rd street, 100th & 125th. Also the city was putting in HPWC at the convention center. Last I heard they had the equipment but were waiting on Delmarva Power.