TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ocean City MD getting HPWC's

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by yobigd20, Aug 13, 2015.

1. scot

scot Member

Really hoping to have some options. Our destination is bethany for family, so salisbury is 30-50 minutes out of the way (at least.) The chargers in rehoboth are good, but on a busy weekend its a risky option to find a space and would love to find some places to charge up to the south!

2. Lanny

Lanny ~

Construction of the Destination Charging stations is underway at the Ocean City Convention Center. Took these photos on March 12, 2016.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457821221.588333.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457821362.935511.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457821384.068630.jpg

Lanny

3. thedaysbetween

4. thedaysbetween

I received an email from the Ocean City engineer this morning (4-10-16) that the (2) HPWC chargers at the Convention Center are now operational! Let the charging begin.

Donn

5. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

Hmm. I was there yesterday and though the meter was installed, there was no power to the chargers.

6. thedaysbetween

The Ocean City engineer emailed me this morning saying:

"My electrician went by this morning (4-11-16) and all 3 chargers were energized. We don’t have a Tesla so there is no way I can actually test them under real conditions."

Is there anyone nearby who can stop by and verify that all the chargers at the Convention Center are up? The Ocean City engineer says he'll be glad to meet at the chargers (with the electrician) to verify they are properly operating. You can PM me to arrange.

Donn

7. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

The 2 HPWC's are working. They are set for 64A.

Attached Files:

8. thedaysbetween

Thanks, Joe. Great news!

Donn

9. linkster

linkster Active Member

Donn

Great news that these stations are now energized and that they are on 240v (YAAY!!) power instead of 208v (typical commercial) power! I couldn't catch any spec data from the pic of the coiled up THHN or THWN. Might you inquire with the contractor/electrician as to why these HPWCs are downpowered to only 64a instead of the full 80a that can charge at a ~58mph rate to help efficiently move as many Ses, Xes, and the onslaught of inbound Model ☰s through this wonderful destination charging station location?

10. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Guys -

Many times, HPWC's come with their internal dip switched defaulted to 64 amps instead of 80 amps.

As long as they are on 100 amp circuits, someone should contact the person that installed these and let them know they can change it to 80 amps.....

Aaron

• Like x 1
  11. thedaysbetween

Aaron:

I've sent an email to the OC engineer and asked him if he knew what the amperage is on the 2 HPWC circuits. I gave him the info he would need to reset the dip switches if, in fact, they're on 100Amp service.

Donn

12. thedaysbetween

Aaron:

The OC engineer reports that the circuits for the HPWC are, in fact, 80 Amp circuits, so 64 amps for charging are correct.

Donn

13. Lanny

Lanny ~

It's amazing that Ocean City has gone from zero to 17 charging stations since November. The breakdown is 7 Tesla Wall Connectors, 9 J-1772 stations and one 50 kW CHAdeMO/SAE Combo charger. Click below for an interactive map of all the locations and details.

[​IMG]
    Interactive Map Link

14. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

I think it may be time for a Thank You Ocean City run, anybody interest?

15. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

I'm up for it!

16. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

I'd be down, depending on the day/duration. I have a friend who's NEVER been!

17. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

I would think that some time after Williamsburg would be good. The question is, do we do a Saturday or Sunday.

18. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

The chargers provided by the Town of Ocean City now charge $2 per hour to park.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  19. kaczmarczyk

kaczmarczyk Member

I can't wait for Tesla to install a SC in OC. Has anyone seen any updates on the proposed location or timing?