Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oct. 17 - Model 3 Reveal Pt. 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess by now most of you have heard Elon tweeting about an "unexpected" product reveal on October 17. Some have speculated it will be a hardware updated to Autopilot. Some are thinking it will be a preview of the Model 3's rumored heads-up display. What do you think it will be?

It is EM's "unexpected by most" comment that made me suspect this might actually be reveal 2 but there is a comment in model3ownersclub saying Oct 17 is to do with Autopilot - still not convinced 100% TBH.

Reactions: Red Sage
If it was indeed to be reveal part II, and it's just one week away, why have no invitations gone out, why has no one heard anything confirmed about this?
I think reveal part II will be announced with a little more fanfare and a little more ahead of time, this event on the 17th to me looks like it could indeed be something about AP 2.0 or somesuch.

Reactions: mhan00 and Red Sage
If it was indeed to be reveal part II, and it's just one week away, why have no invitations gone out, why has no one heard anything confirmed about this?
I think reveal part II will be announced with a little more fanfare and a little more ahead of time, this event on the 17th to me looks like it could indeed be something about AP 2.0 or somesuch.

I agree, too little time before the event, too little fanfare, and too soon - I don't think they're ready for the second reveal yet, they probably don't have any working prototypes or even a good handle on options pricing yet.

I guess by now most of you have heard Elon tweeting about an "unexpected" product reveal on October 17. Some have speculated it will be a hardware updated to Autopilot. Some are thinking it will be a preview of the Model 3's rumored heads-up display. What do you think it will be?
It will be something "unexpected". The next version of AP hardware is definitely not "unexpected", it has been endlessly speculated about for months now and many predicted it was going into production weeks ago (they are wrong, obviously).

Whatever Elon meant months ago when he tweeted "...the real steering controls for the 3. It feels like a spaceship" is not "unexpected" in the sense that it has been extensively discussed for months now, but in another sense it is unexpected because no one outside of Tesla has any idea what the heck he was talking about. So it seems possible that could be what Elon is referring to.

My opinion: the "spaceship" controls that the Model 3 will offer a year from now when it goes into production (as an option of course, not as standard considering the low price point of the base version) are going to go into production in the S/X this month and will be standard. That is what will be revealed on October 17th. Elon has said several times this year that the S/X will always have the latest and greatest features before the 3 and any other lower cost models. There is no way that the 3 will launch with a cool feature that the S/X don't already have.

Of course I could be wrong...

The next version of AP hardware is definitely not "unexpected"
I disagree, if this is something that offers full autonomy or similar (even if hardware only). A great many people think this is still 5-10 years off and it would therefore be unexpected this soon. If it was a minor improvement then I'd agree that it's not unexpected.

I really want to see the spaceship controls too, but I think that'll be during the Model 3 reveal part 2 later on..

My guess is the automatic/snake chargers and/or AP2. I think both/either of these will help with congestion issues at superchargers and maybe even destination chargers. Once you check into a hotel for example, maybe you put your Tesla in a specific row, and when a charger is available overnight, your car automatically goes over and plugs itself in. Now you don't have to worry about holiday travel being too much of an issue as long as you stop somewhere overnight with charging. This would require mechanically activated charging and also some level of autonomous driving at least in designated areas.

It will be something "unexpected". The next version of AP hardware is definitely not "unexpected", it has been endlessly speculated about for months now and many predicted it was going into production weeks ago (they are wrong, obviously).

Whatever Elon meant months ago when he tweeted "...the real steering controls for the 3. It feels like a spaceship" is not "unexpected" in the sense that it has been extensively discussed for months now, but in another sense it is unexpected because no one outside of Tesla has any idea what the heck he was talking about. So it seems possible that could be what Elon is referring to.

My opinion: the "spaceship" controls that the Model 3 will offer a year from now when it goes into production (as an option of course, not as standard considering the low price point of the base version) are going to go into production in the S/X this month and will be standard. That is what will be revealed on October 17th. Elon has said several times this year that the S/X will always have the latest and greatest features before the 3 and any other lower cost models. There is no way that the 3 will launch with a cool feature that the S/X don't already have.

Of course I could be wrong...

Actually, I agree that the statement "unexpected by most" is quite significant here. I also think this could be something Model 3 related but not quite reveal pt 2. That can be anything from M3 battery pack details to as @ecarfan says, M3 steering controls..

I believe everybody has read about the recent battery packs. I believe it's going to be the new battery packs that they're going to put in the model 3. Now they will be putting them in the S and the X starting now and the mileage they get will blow everybody's mind away. Just a big guess now.

"unexpected"....... maybe a price increase? Either way competition is getting closer and closer, he should better "step up" quickly
The unexpected is what makes me wonder. I don't think AP2 is unexpected, though people haven't been sure exactly when it would be. The last remark he made in a Q&A where he said that Tesla will... "do the obvious thing" makes me think that AP2 was expected. He couldn't have made it any more clear without cannibalizing sales.

Just to throw out something ridiculous... maybe the Model 3 will be delivered sooner than announced!

Just to throw out something ridiculous... maybe the Model 3 will be delivered sooner than announced!
Blogger or "journalist" who regularly mines TMC forums for material pens latest scoop: "Knowledgeable sources in the Tesla community suggest Tesla Model 3 will begin rolling out soon after the October 17 'product unveiling' that was teased by Elon Musk's weekend tweet. This latest acceleration of the Model 3 production schedule caught most industry analysts off-guard and their surprise was anticipated by Musk when he added in his tweet that this would be 'unexpected by most'."