Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

October 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not the person you replied to, but I got my loan through DCU these past couple of days ahead of my delivery this Thursday.

1. No, they will require the MVPA (Motor vehicle purchase agreement) from Tesla. They need to update it with information that says DCU will provide the financing.
    1. I might be wrong on this, but I started my loan before I received the VIN. Once I had the MVPA, I uploaded it to the DCU website to complete the loan application.
  2. Fast. Immediately after I uploaded the MVPA, I called them because I know there tends to be a wait. I chose the callback option and an hour later they called back and said I was good to go. My hiccup was that my wife is also on the loan and they needed to hear her provide authorization, but otherwise it would have been done there. After this, they send a docusign that you need to sign and then you part is done.
  3. Yes. You can either have them send it to yourself or to Tesla. I opted to send it to Tesla, and then DCU provided a photo of the check and FedEx tracking. I sent both of those to the dealership along with my loan agreement, called Tesla, and they confirmed I'm good to go for delivery.
  4. Yes. I read you could do it through online chat, but they redirected me to call my dealership. Dealership had no problem doing this for me. They will ask for the name of the bank along with the amount you're financing.
Rough timeline, got my VIN on Sunday, scheduled delivery Monday morning, Monday morning called Tesla to switch to third-party financing, and I technically would have had the loan completed the same day. DCU has a cutoff of 2PM Eastern for submitting the loan.

This Reddit post is also very helpful when dealing with DCU and the process.
My experience was similar except that I had DCU mail the check to me and I took it with me for the delivery. I agree that we do not need VIN to start a loan application but MVPA is needed to finalize the loan. On point no. 3, DCU sends one check for the amount financed, in my case MVPA was updated again for registration fees, and I had to use Plaid to pay the difference. On point no 4, we can contact DCU prior to telling Tesla to switch to 'third party financing' to start the process but they will need MVPA to finalize the loan.

Reactions: PeteOC
So, as of now, I'm still on track for Mt. Kisco on Sunday. When I had reached out after getting my VIN, they said my car was scheduled to arrive on the 6th, and they needed 2 days or so to prep. When my window hit the app, it said to pick a date between the 6th and maybe the 10th. Me and the wife were not going to both take a Friday off of work to pick up, so the 6th was out, and I thought we had a commitment on the 7th, so I picked the 8th. While I was, of course, wrong about the 7th, I'm thinking the 8th was the best move anyway. If my car arrives on the 6th, and is not missing the OBD2 port, seems more likely we will have lift off on the 8th, with them having the car for 2 days prior, and not just one.

But I still warned my wife and kids that, until we are driving it home, it could be delayed. Tesla did take my $ out of my account today . . .
Yeah...they took my money yesterday. Still holding hope for Sunday. Sunday was my first available pickup date, so i assume my car hasn't arrived yet. Not much to do but wait and see.

So with the Fed raising interest rates and the continued delays it's starting to feel like a good time to just give up on the idea of owning a Tesla.

It was a fun idea to be on the relative forefront of an automotive revolution. The technology is obviously tempting but it just doesn't seem worth all this frustration and now extra cost to own an EV. With the supply chain issues they won't be "taking over" anytime soon and it's probably fine to buy and drive an ICE for the next 7 or 8 years (the time I had planned to own this car).

Wondering how many people still waiting after 7+ months are feeling this way this morning...

So with the Fed raising interest rates and the continued delays it's starting to feel like a good time to just give up on the idea of owning a Tesla.

It was a fun idea to be on the relative forefront of an automotive revolution. The technology is obviously tempting but it just doesn't seem worth all this frustration and now extra cost to own an EV. With the supply chain issues they won't be "taking over" anytime soon and it's probably fine to buy and drive an ICE for the next 7 or 8 years (the time I had planned to own this car).

Wondering how many people still waiting after 7+ months are feeling this way this morning...
Lol 0,5 apr raise effecting your buying decision maybe buying tesla wasnt right decision after all!

• Funny
Reactions: Deliboy
how do you guys know when your cars are supposed to arrive?
I got an email (yesterday 5/3) from someone at Mt kisco outlining what I need to complete prior to delivery and confirming details about about my order (financing, etc). In that email she mentioned that my vehicle was set to arrive at the DC on 5/4. She also said she will notify me when it does arrive.

Lol 0,5 apr raise effecting your buying decision maybe buying tesla wasnt right decision after all!
And the fanboy white knighting starts. I have several other expenses contributing to this potential decision. The act of buying a Tesla doesn't exist in a vacuum. Rising taxes, purchasing a home, other loans, etc.

It's not like this has been an experience that feels worth the money in any way shape or form to begin with...

Reactions: Kijak and PeteOC
And the fanboy white knighting starts. I have several other expenses contributing to this potential decision. The act of buying a Tesla doesn't exist in a vacuum. Rising taxes, purchasing a home, other loans, etc.

It's not like this has been an experience that feels worth the money in any way shape or form to begin with...
Okey. Looks like you never wanted Tesla. Goodluck

Reactions: SeanB-Model3

Dude you are so close though. Just lock in the rate today, more than likely you will get a VIN before your rate lock expires. I live in Austin as well and am finally getting mine in Monday.

I'll provide an outsider's perspective as a person who has custom ordered and received delivery for an ICE vehicle in the past. I will admit the wait for the Tesla sucks, however I think given the high demand of the vehicles, the global supply chain, etc, its somewhat understandable. I would also say that when compared to the order, tracking, and delivery experience of my Challenger back in 2017, we as Tesla buyers receive a lot of information on our orders.

I think this is actually the biggest problem. We are almost paralyzed by the amount of information both provided to us from Tesla and this forum has dedicated tracking for orders in a month, a region, etc... When I look back at my estimates from when I ordered the car vs when I am due to receive it, yes.... Its late by about a month.

I can tell you from when I ordered my Challenger, I received literally no information from my sales person until week prior to pickup. As for tracking, I had to do it all on my own by looking at my order tracking status online. It was built quickly and delivered as I requested, but It took over 2 hours between when I arrived to pick up the vehicle and actually driving it off the lot, due to financing, upsell's, scheduling future service appointments, and generally just waiting around for crap...

That was a pain for me and I was actually tired/worn out by the time I left the dealership to go home.

I think things will get better for the delivery experience for Tesla in the future, but for now its not so bad honestly. I am not a Tesla Fan-Boy or anti-ICE or anything.

I'll provide an outsider's perspective as a person who has custom ordered and received delivery for an ICE vehicle in the past. I will admit the wait for the Tesla sucks, however I think given the high demand of the vehicles, the global supply chain, etc, its somewhat understandable. I would also say that when compared to the order, tracking, and delivery experience of my Challenger back in 2017, we as Tesla buyers receive a lot of information on our orders.

I think this is actually the biggest problem. We are almost paralyzed by the amount of information both provided to us from Tesla and this forum has dedicated tracking for orders in a month, a region, etc... When I look back at my estimates from when I ordered the car vs when I am due to receive it, yes.... Its late by about a month.

I can tell you from when I ordered my Challenger, I received literally no information from my sales person until week prior to pickup. As for tracking, I had to do it all on my own by looking at my order tracking status online. It was built quickly and delivered as I requested, but It took over 2 hours between when I arrived to pick up the vehicle and actually driving it off the lot, due to financing, upsell's, scheduling future service appointments, and generally just waiting around for crap...

That was a pain for me and I was actually tired/worn out by the time I left the dealership to go home.

I think things will get better for the delivery experience for Tesla in the future, but for now its not so bad honestly. I am not a Tesla Fan-Boy or anti-ICE or anything.
I remember ordering a MINI Cooper back in 2002. I ordered it in July of 2002 and I never took delivery until October 2003! That was a very long wait. It was way before the technology we have today to track what’s happening with the vehicle.

Reactions: ultracoop
Keep the faith my red / white brother (or sister). 5 day window is great!

I financed through DCU and they provided tracking number (fedex overnight) and .jpegs of the check front and back. These were sufficient for the Tesla SA to proceed with delivery, even if the physical check itself was somehow delayed.To

Totally agreed. Also if you don't mind what Rate is DCU offering and i'm also thinking of going to an outside bank instead of Tesla

If you made your decision go with it. No one knows or will understand why you made that decision. I appreciate that you posting it here knowing there will be few people opposing your decision even though it’s your money and it’s your car.

On the bright side, someone is getting lucky and will get their car sooner.

For those financing with tesla, what is their current rate? Seems like a lot of people went with DCU, are their rates any better? Looking for a 72 month loan with +20% down and top tier credit but don’t want my credit pulled anymore just to discover a high interest rate. Feds are supposed to raise rates by 0.5 today too.
I'm looking for something similar. Carolina Cooperative Federal Credit Union looks attractive with their website suggesting 1.99% up to 84 months for Credit Scores 780 & higher. Their application process is paper and by mail so if you need to move quickly this isn't the one. DCU at 65 months will probably be my backup if I can't get Carolina Cooperative done in time.