Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

October 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with the Fed raising interest rates and the continued delays it's starting to feel like a good time to just give up on the idea of owning a Tesla.

It was a fun idea to be on the relative forefront of an automotive revolution. The technology is obviously tempting but it just doesn't seem worth all this frustration and now extra cost to own an EV. With the supply chain issues they won't be "taking over" anytime soon and it's probably fine to buy and drive an ICE for the next 7 or 8 years (the time I had planned to own this car).

Wondering how many people still waiting after 7+ months are feeling this way this morning...
I have definitely been feeling this way and have looks into alternatives, but the prices are so marked up on cars right now that it’s deterred me from pulling the trigger. you’re not alone!

I'll provide an outsider's perspective as a person who has custom ordered and received delivery for an ICE vehicle in the past. I will admit the wait for the Tesla sucks, however I think given the high demand of the vehicles, the global supply chain, etc, its somewhat understandable. I would also say that when compared to the order, tracking, and delivery experience of my Challenger back in 2017, we as Tesla buyers receive a lot of information on our orders.

I think this is actually the biggest problem. We are almost paralyzed by the amount of information both provided to us from Tesla and this forum has dedicated tracking for orders in a month, a region, etc... When I look back at my estimates from when I ordered the car vs when I am due to receive it, yes.... Its late by about a month.

I can tell you from when I ordered my Challenger, I received literally no information from my sales person until week prior to pickup. As for tracking, I had to do it all on my own by looking at my order tracking status online. It was built quickly and delivered as I requested, but It took over 2 hours between when I arrived to pick up the vehicle and actually driving it off the lot, due to financing, upsell's, scheduling future service appointments, and generally just waiting around for crap...

That was a pain for me and I was actually tired/worn out by the time I left the dealership to go home.

I think things will get better for the delivery experience for Tesla in the future, but for now its not so bad honestly. I am not a Tesla Fan-Boy or anti-ICE or anything.
Thank you for a very thoughtful response. Weighing your points with sincerity. Not sure why every time a logical decision to forgo buying this car turns into a weird "you didn't want a Tesla" or "you can't afford a Tesla".

Making an informed financial decision and purchase decision is really the goal here.

Thank you for a very thoughtful response. Weighing your points with sincerity. Not sure why every time a logical decision to forgo buying this car turns into a weird "you didn't want a Tesla" or "you can't afford a Tesla".

Making an informed financial decision and purchase decision is really the goal here.
You do what best for you and your situation. No need to announce your departure.

Thanks everyone for the constructive feedback if you gave it. You know who you are.

I'm still not sure but am going to wait until I have time to go dealership hopping at the least.
Only you can make the right decision.
Just be 100% on the one you make. Teslas are an amazing car and yes the process of getting one is a pain in the ass. Think of the car as a reward for the patience you’ve shown waiting for it. I don’t want you to say screw it and then regret your decision.

Getting our paperwork to sign today! Only thing left after today will be making the carrier direct fee payment (didn’t finance that), which we’re going to do Friday. As long as the car is still arriving Monday, and as long as the carrier isn’t too busy, with any luck we’ll be getting our car next week. We’ll see!

I think I might create a Carrier Direct Experience thread after this - I haven’t seen anything recent in this forum besides what some of us are going through now, and there’s a good amount of differences between regular delivery/pickup that I’m sure will be useful for people to know.

Not the person you replied to, but I got my loan through DCU these past couple of days ahead of my delivery this Thursday.

1. No, they will require the MVPA (Motor vehicle purchase agreement) from Tesla. They need to update it with information that says DCU will provide the financing.
    1. I might be wrong on this, but I started my loan before I received the VIN. Once I had the MVPA, I uploaded it to the DCU website to complete the loan application.
  2. Fast. Immediately after I uploaded the MVPA, I called them because I know there tends to be a wait. I chose the callback option and an hour later they called back and said I was good to go. My hiccup was that my wife is also on the loan and they needed to hear her provide authorization, but otherwise it would have been done there. After this, they send a docusign that you need to sign and then you part is done.
  3. Yes. You can either have them send it to yourself or to Tesla. I opted to send it to Tesla, and then DCU provided a photo of the check and FedEx tracking. I sent both of those to the dealership along with my loan agreement, called Tesla, and they confirmed I'm good to go for delivery.
  4. Yes. I read you could do it through online chat, but they redirected me to call my dealership. Dealership had no problem doing this for me. They will ask for the name of the bank along with the amount you're financing.
Rough timeline, got my VIN on Sunday, scheduled delivery Monday morning, Monday morning called Tesla to switch to third-party financing, and I technically would have had the loan completed the same day. DCU has a cutoff of 2PM Eastern for submitting the loan.

This Reddit post is also very helpful when dealing with DCU and the process.
Great info. Appreciated very much!

My experience was similar except that I had DCU mail the check to me and I took it with me for the delivery. I agree that we do not need VIN to start a loan application but MVPA is needed to finalize the loan. On point no. 3, DCU sends one check for the amount financed, in my case MVPA was updated again for registration fees, and I had to use Plaid to pay the difference. On point no 4, we can contact DCU prior to telling Tesla to switch to 'third party financing' to start the process but they will need MVPA to finalize the loan.
Thanks much for the info!

I’m hesitant to start the loan process prior to getting the VIN after seeing so many EDDs come and gone, and people’s applications expiring because of it and have to reapply and take the hard inquiry hit. Around EOQ, Tesla tends to go hardcore and demand vehicle pickup within 3 or less days of VIN assignment, and in that situation even the fastest CU process can make you sweat so I can see applying before VIN. I’ll continue waiting, and hope there won’t be another interest rate hike before I pick up.

Thanks much for the info!

I’m hesitant to start the loan process prior to getting the VIN after seeing so many EDDs come and gone, and people’s applications expiring because of it and have to reapply and take the hard inquiry hit. Around EOQ, Tesla tends to go hardcore and demand vehicle pickup within 3 or less days of VIN assignment, and in that situation even the fastest CU process can make you sweat so I can see applying before VIN. I’ll continue waiting, and hope there won’t be another interest rate hike before I pick up.
Agree. It is good to wait until VIN is assigned. Good luck!

I'll provide an outsider's perspective as a person who has custom ordered and received delivery for an ICE vehicle in the past. I will admit the wait for the Tesla sucks, however I think given the high demand of the vehicles, the global supply chain, etc, its somewhat understandable. I would also say that when compared to the order, tracking, and delivery experience of my Challenger back in 2017, we as Tesla buyers receive a lot of information on our orders.

I think this is actually the biggest problem. We are almost paralyzed by the amount of information both provided to us from Tesla and this forum has dedicated tracking for orders in a month, a region, etc... When I look back at my estimates from when I ordered the car vs when I am due to receive it, yes.... Its late by about a month.

I can tell you from when I ordered my Challenger, I received literally no information from my sales person until week prior to pickup. As for tracking, I had to do it all on my own by looking at my order tracking status online. It was built quickly and delivered as I requested, but It took over 2 hours between when I arrived to pick up the vehicle and actually driving it off the lot, due to financing, upsell's, scheduling future service appointments, and generally just waiting around for crap...

That was a pain for me and I was actually tired/worn out by the time I left the dealership to go home.

I think things will get better for the delivery experience for Tesla in the future, but for now its not so bad honestly. I am not a Tesla Fan-Boy or anti-ICE or anything.
Thanks, agree 100%. Some "grass is greener people" prefer to think back to the last time they purchased a car how easy it was. Today the experience is very different with supply chain issues and limited production volume causing most distributors to add dealer fees, unknown delivery schedules and excuses. Tesla tries hard to keep you up to date with the latest delivery information, if you prefer to stay in the dark, turn off your app, stay away from the WEB site and wait for a call like the other car manufacturers. Your therapist(s) will thank you.

So your Charger delivered on time with the estimated date? That sounds pretty good. Don’t need SA contact for anything inbetween.
The problem isn’t the abundance of info, it’s the shifting ED dates with no rhyme or reason. I would absolutely prefer to get one date that delivers accordingly. 2 hours at the dealership is nothing compared to the number of hours trying to figure out Tesla supply chain and browsing forums for info.

Oh that is it canceling for sure now lol oh wait it’s not Tesla fault it’s our great Government.
Rates should have been this high 6 months ago. If anything they are late. Were not supposed to have tiny interest rates even in a perfect economy. They were only so low for so long due to two reasons (Current and previous presidents scared to correct the stock market to hurt their election chances and covid)