Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

October 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the 14-50 adapter for?
The car will only come with a standard 110v mobile adapter for the mobile charging cord and I had a 14-50 NEMA installed in my garage. So I needed the adapter for the mobile charger. One day I’ll buy a 2nd one so I can keep it in the car.

Edit: I probably shouldn’t have used the word “adapter”. I bought the 14-50 mobile connector. Lol

Reactions: JDEWD250
The car will only come with a standard 110v mobile adapter for the mobile charging cord and I had a 14-50 NEMA installed in my garage. So I needed the adapter for the mobile charger. One day I’ll buy a 2nd one so I can keep it in the car.

Edit: I probably shouldn’t have used the word “adapter”. I bought the 14-50 mobile connector. Lol
Gotchya!

Received vin today. Order date 10/18 MYMS, white interior..gemini 5 seater. EDD end of this month, Freemont build. Interesting enough I dropped by my local Tesla in the mall…they straight up offered to swab me to same specs, except black interior…Austin build. I declined but perhaps if folks are waiting maybe a visit to your local Tesla center might speed up the process. I’m in Houston by the way…

Reactions: MizzleD
Congrats to all the recent VINs! I'm increasingly optimistic that mine will arrive in the next few weeks. I'm only a week out from the start of my two-week window. That alone wouldn't mean much, since I've had several two-week windows in the past, but this is different because other white MY in the midwest are getting VINs and my two-week window moved up by four days last week. We will see, but after growing numb from waiting, I might actually have some hope again.

Happy Monday!
I got a VIN this morning!
Fremont build.

EDD is now 8/28 to 9/1.
At this point, for me personally,I would prefer a January EDD, I barely qualify for the $7500 worth of fed money and its only 3 1/2 months away.

I’m patient when it comes to moola 💰🤑💰

Don’t get me wrong, I still want it ASAP!
But $7500 would make the wait a bit more tolerable 🤑💰🤷🏻‍♂️

• Love
Reactions: Aviateur17
What's the 14-50 adapter for?

I would recommend doing some YouTube tutorials on charging your Tesla to get a broader answer to your question. Search something like "Mobile Charging adapters Tesla".

In short "14-50" is an outlet type designated by NEMA. The pin configuration is type 14 and it can handle 50 amps. This outlet supplies 2-3x the power of a standard household outlet (think dryer, electric stove, welder outlets).

The adapter referred to is for the Mobile Charge kit so it can connect to that type of outlet. The Mobile Kit now comes standard with only a NEMA 5-20 outlet (the standard residential outlet). A few years ago the kit include both the 5-20 and 14-50 adapters, but now you have to purchase the 14-50 separately if you want it.

Its important to know that there are many outlet types out there. You get purchase them one at a time or there is an entire bundle kit from Tesla here that has some of the most common types:

Many people only get the 14-50 as it is somewhat common (I believe it is the standard RV connector so many RV parks have this outlet). I personally have a NEMA 6-50 (what my garage is wired for) adapter and a 14-50 adapter.

The main use case for these is either getting your setup at home figured out, or planning to charge at personal destinations like friends, family, RV parks, etc.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Aviateur17
At this point, for me personally,I would prefer a January EDD, I barely qualify for the $7500 worth of fed money and its only 3 1/2 months away.

I’m patient when it comes to moola 💰🤑💰

Don’t get me wrong, I still want it ASAP!
But $7500 would make the wait a bit more tolerable 🤑💰🤷🏻‍♂️
It’s truly a shame that the EV credit is not retroactive. I hate that I effectively get to pay for that benefit all the 2023 EV buyers will get and I can’t take advantage of it; but c’est la vie I guess.