Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

October Orders... what did we do wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing Nov and Dec CA orders get delivered, even with same config, I'm starting to wonder if we got on some kind of Tesla naughty list.
off the top of my head... I broke the speed limit during my test drive. I may or may not have farted in the back seat while my wife was test driving one. I spit up my coffee a little bit when I first saw the cybertruck... does Elon know these things?

Blue/Black SR 18" wheels
10/29 order, San Rafael Delivery

Side note for anyone expecting delivery in San Rafael. I drove by this morning to chat with a DA, but only service folks were there to talk. They were really nice, passed me on to get a SA callback. The lot there had literally dozens of new Model 3's of all colors, all configs. A carrier was unloading several more cars too. I didn't see any customer deliveries taking place yet (around 9:15am), maybe it's a staging area? I saw a ton of blue ones. hoping that isn't as close as I'll ever get to a delivery.

Any other October orders waiting out there? I'm curious how many of us are left.

10/28 LR AWD, White/White, 19”, no FSD. Yesterday, I went to the Tesla store where I bought it, Glendale, CA. My SA was there. We looked up my account. His exact words were, “I am sorry, your car is not in production yet.” We had a pleasant exchange about the two text messages I received about my availability for delivery, etc. I am not sure what to make of this whole process. I am down to six days of availability for delivery. Financing and insurance have been set since 10/30.

Last edited:
10/28 LR AWD, White/White, 19”, no FSD. Yesterday, I went to the Tesla store where I bought it, Glendale, CA. My SA was there. We looked up my account. His exact words were, “I am sorry, your can is not in production yet.” We had a pleasant exchange about the two text messages I received about my availability for delivery, etc. I am not sure what to make of this whole process. I am down to six days of availability for delivery. Financing and insurance have been set since 10/30.

since you're getting a white LR could you just ask to grab an inventory car instead? Most of what I've seen has the black interior, but they're available right now.

I may consider that option this weekend. While I am frustrated, I am resigned to the fact that after nine weeks of waiting, I will not get my car. The upside is I have two ski trips coming. I will be away and the Tesla would be sitting at my house anyway. So, now my brain has shifted to mid-January delivery.

If a car appears in the next few days that I can actually pick up, I will certainly take it. In my situation having a VIN isn’t sufficient. I would have to pick it up by next Thursday. On the survey, I put availability even on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

I do appreciate reading about other people’s successful deliveries.

I think the problem is we have to also pay $1,000 more for the same car since Tesla won't honor October pricing.

10/18 LR AWD 18", no fsd, San Jose

oh good point! I didn't think of that. makes it even more frustrating that they produced inventory cars ahead of existing orders, to get an extra $1k out of someone ordering last minute.

Part of me wonders if I'll get pushed to the end because I ordered the cheapest SR.

I tried Tesla Chat for more info. They assigned me to someone for a call back, which I did get within 20min, but they basically just said the car isn't produced yet and west coast orders are pushed to the end. She did mention she knows an employee at the factory and that they have an estimator tool for VIN date...texted back minutes later with VIN within one week. not sure how reliable that is, still basically the end of year window.

since you're getting a white LR could you just ask to grab an inventory car instead? Most of what I've seen has the black interior, but they're available right now.

October order here. So I tried to pursue this yesterday after the insult-to-injury email showing in stock inventory (complete with VIN) of the same configuration I ordered. Turns out the "take immediate delivery" was a lie as well -- car was still in pre-production in spite of VIN. And even though I've not yet been "matched" with a car, the nice SA in Dublin (CA) suggested I just wait it out -- that my car would be delivered by year end. I stressed the short timeline and tax credit. He assured me it would get done, that sitting tight is the right move.

FWIW, I don't believe a word that comes out of their mouths. Will wait for now and then on 2 January will push my wife toward a Euro brand that we can take delivery of by lunchtime.

No bait for a catched fish. We are doing wrong when we let Tesla know we are already catched when we made October order. Tesla has no intention to deliver California order until EOY. When I checked the spreadsheet, I shocked to find that Tesla had produced and delivered the same car I ordered 40 days ago to WA and TX in December 12 - 14 (WA and TX ordered on early December). I heard December is for CA and other western states orders - Wrong. THE END of December is for CA orders.

• Informative
Reactions: helloexactly
Also should add that from my office with a view of the 680 freeway, there is in fact truckload after truckload of Tesla's streaming north today. Strangely, they don't wrap or protect their cars for transport like other luxury manufacturers do, but then maybe they aren't going that far.

No bait for a catched fish. We are doing wrong when we let Tesla know we are already catched when we made October order. Tesla has no intention to deliver California order until EOY. When I checked the spreadsheet, I shocked to find that Tesla had produced and delivered the same car I ordered 40 days ago to WA and TX in December 12 - 14 (WA and TX ordered on early December). I heard December is for CA and other western states orders - Wrong. THE END of December is for CA orders.

I am ok with this, kind of. What really upsets me are the folks that make nothing but exscuses for Tesla. If they miss delivery this year for my car, I owe Tesla no benefit of the doubt. They seem to forget that we can spread the word and I am telling everyone I work with here in the Silicon Valley that the product is amazing, but service is beyond terrible. Most react by saying they will wait until Tesla gets there stuff together to consider them.

I wonder if finalizing the financing and/or white interiors have anything to do with it. I got a Stealth recently, ordered 11/20, picked up 11/29. It was pre-production when I ordered and had VIN immediately, so I know my case is not the norm. Black interior and Tesla/Chase financing for me.

I suppose it could. Having Tesla financing ready to go guarantees a quick turnaround at delivery. Having the local credit union here may hang up my delivery process since they have limited hours this coming week. I'm kind of concerned I'll get a last second text from Tesla saying pick up your car today or lose it and then not being able to get the paperwork to the MarinCU in time.