Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus ‘Go’ getting paid to use Electricity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice early start this morning! This is my peak, although it does include the kettle for an early morning cuppa :)

93A8D3D1-6F95-48B2-ACAD-0B9F6FC36083.jpeg

Does anyone know if Octopus will swap the bearing in your meter for free? Mine was probably smoking earlier and I think I’ll need a new one!

I don’t know how ethical this competition is? I got up to 13.3kW at one point. *Everything* on. Glad my cut-out is 80Amps and not 60Amps otherwise I’d be cutting it fine.

Consumption today 64kWh.
Pffft! Amateur. I had two EVs at home and we both commute 50+ miles
It’s not usual to go over 100kW/h in a day ;)

Crazy this plunge pricing. Actions
1. Turn off solar panels
2. turn on all lights, dishwasher, washing machine
3. move fan heater into garden and switch on
4. switch on ac unit
5.clean our 2 pyrolitic ovens
6. switch on immersion heaters
7. Take tesla up and down motorway in time to recharge on the maximum plunge rate.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
189B4E92-F4BF-4A3C-AB6B-BFE2AE3C9430.jpeg

Average 2.59p/kWh + VAT

If Agile starts to look bad I’ll just switch back to Go but at this point, no way!

They hit their goal of behavioural change and probably played to my personality type. When I’m bored of the game I think I’ll probably still ‘win’. It won’t be for everyone but there is money to be saved if you have the inclination.

No PV array.

That is a pretty outstanding bill for someone without PV!
I'm enjoying the Octopus Agile experience too but not to that degree.
I agree that it's a bit of a game and enjoy 'the reveal' of the rates for the next day.
I'm trying to accurately forecast them from the market rates but no banana so far.

View attachment 553890

Average 2.59p/kWh + VAT

If Agile starts to look bad I’ll just switch back to Go but at this point, no way!

They hit their goal of behavioural change and probably played to my personality type. When I’m bored of the game I think I’ll probably still ‘win’. It won’t be for everyone but there is money to be saved if you have the inclination.

No PV array.

So your next challenge should be to see if you can pay less then your standing fee...

So I think my wife might leave me as I such a sad act...

So far...
Car waiting to charge
Next doors e golf plugged in via granny cable.
Heater on timer in conservatory
Immersion heater timer set
Dishwasher on timer
Washing machine on time
Tumble drier on timer

And when my 6 year old wakes me up at 6 I'll be getting the hoover on and maybe do some cooking...aim is to be in negative territory at the end of the day

Neighbours wife has suggested he gets a digital girlfriend instead of her...hahaha

You need to run your own numbers through over as long a period of time as you can as the pricing is very seasonal and we are going through extraordinary times at present.

If you are already on Octopus this is quite easy as there are a number of tools to automate this such as Octopus Comparison. If not, its probably spreadsheet time with historical figures Octopus Agile - Energy Stats UK or raw numbers direct from Octopus themselves

Last edited:
I have two electric vehicles (M3 and zoe) and solar panels, but a very energy consumping household during the 4pm-7pm hours, would this plan make sense??
I am aware this is not the best place to ask, but why not?
It could do, I'd be getting hourly usage stats to see if you can offset the peak usage, with the negative and low rates, then factor in your solar generation. Bear in mind that not every day will have a negative period and winter nights will mess with solar figures calculated now.

• Funny
Reactions: JupiterMan
I have two electric vehicles (M3 and zoe) and solar panels, but a very energy consumping household during the 4pm-7pm hours, would this plan make sense??
I am aware this is not the best place to ask, but why not?

Any use between 16:00 and 19:00 is penalised and so any savings made during the rest of the day would be completely wiped out, so Agile is not for you.

You might want to consider the Octopus Tracker tariff though.