Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Agile and Ohme Charger cost of charging estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question for those with Octopus Agile and/or Ohme Chargers.

Does Ohme (or anyone else) have access to electricity grid charge prices beyond the next day until midnight?

The reason I ask is that the prices for Octopus Agile say the cheapest charge to time is 1.30 pm this afternoon (around 2-3p/KWh).

However, my Ohme charger thinks it should hold out until tomorrow morning around 4 or 5 am and that the price will be negative (i.e. we get paid to charge).

I am trying to work out whether Ohme have access to a look ahead further than Octopus publish, or have they just got it wrong?

Anyone any thoughts?

Barry

I am skeptical on the negative charging rate at that time of the morning. Not much sun and wind predicted.

Guess we will not find out until after 4 pm when Octopus publish their half hourly costs whether they got it right.

Will know for next time whether to trust it.

Barry

for ref, here were the prices

www.energy-stats.uk on Twitter

hjgyuijhbhgytuu.png

For the record I had the opposite problem today.

The Ohme decided to default to charging just before 6.30 am again rather than using the “cheaper” afternoon electricity. So I overrode the default and forced it to charge this afternoon.

Now Octopus published its prices and it is in fact cheaper tomorrow morning

Suspect that was more luck than knowing what the charges would be.

Anyway we are talking pence rather than pounds. Suspect the novelty of checking these will wear off soon

That's amazing if it does look further ahead. I presume wholesale prices are available much sooner than Octopus publish on their agile rates?

Depends on what wholesale contracts you're looking at. Half hour, hourly, blocks, days, months, seasons...

The prices Agile use are HH APX and these are prices for the day ahead. Its run as an auction with results sent to suppliers at 15:45 the day prior to delivery. Octo publish these shortly after.

We do have a view on what hourly is likely to be and can work out what the prices may outturn in the HH.