Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Agile, who uses Ohme cable, and with which charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been on Agile for a while now, all good, very happy with the savings on electric so far. Now that lock down is easing I think it's time to get a home charger sorted out as the 3 pin plug method is too slow to take advantage of the plunge prices. Obviously want to charge when electric is at it's cheapest if possible. Who uses the £199 Ohme cable offer from Octopus? Is it reliable and easy to use? What charger do you use with it, I like the look of the EO Mini due to the compact size. Anyone using this combo? Looking for the best option to work with Agile, is there a charger out there that has the same functions built in as the Ohme cable therefor not needing a smart charger and a smart cable which seems a bit pointless.

Been on Agile for a while now, all good, very happy with the savings on electric so far. Now that lock down is easing I think it's time to get a home charger sorted out as the 3 pin plug method is too slow to take advantage of the plunge prices. Obviously want to charge when electric is at it's cheapest if possible. Who uses the £199 Ohme cable offer from Octopus? Is it reliable and easy to use? What charger do you use with it, I like the look of the EO Mini due to the compact size. Anyone using this combo? Looking for the best option to work with Agile, is there a charger out there that has the same functions built in as the Ohme cable therefor not needing a smart charger and a smart cable which seems a bit pointless.

You know there is an Ohme Wall Charger as well right? :D

Small unit and does all the same integration with Tesla and Octopus Agile.

Reactions: seadog
I use an EO Mini Pro with the ev.energy app to optimise cost of charging via the Tesla’s APIs. Lots of good stuff written about Ohme, but might save you a few quid. If I had my time over, I’d go for an Andersen wall charger for the aesthetics. Tethered cable is most convenient IMO.

Thanks, I have sent a message to Ohme to see if they can supply my local OLEV registered guy with a wall charger, just a pity there doesn't seem any extra incentive for Octopus customers like the cable has.

I think the charger will most likely end up inside the garage so not too fussed about aesthetics as it will not be on show, but still want something neat that will not be too bulky on the wall. Agreed tethered cable with be best. Had a quick look at the ev.energy app, is it a paid subscription service or free, it looks good.

Thanks, I have sent a message to Ohme to see if they can supply my local OLEV registered guy with a wall charger, just a pity there doesn't seem any extra incentive for Octopus customers like the cable has.

I think the charger will most likely end up inside the garage so not too fussed about aesthetics as it will not be on show, but still want something neat that will not be too bulky on the wall. Agreed tethered cable with be best. Had a quick look at the ev.energy app, is it a paid subscription service or free, it looks good.
It's free and in my opinion works great with Agile.

Suggest not setting a maximum energy price in the App and just trust it to charge at the cheapest times in order to reach your required charge level by your departure time.

If you are thinking of the charger in the Garage why not get the Ohme charger with the Commando (£199) and get an electrician to install a 32amp commando socket for you? May work out really cheap that way

Reactions: Tattersky
I was planning on having the charger inside the garage to save having it on the exterior wall and to save any potential problems with water ingress, but most of the time the car will still be outside charging with the cable run under the garage door.

I was planning on having the charger inside the garage to save having it on the exterior wall and to save any potential problems with water ingress, but most of the time the car will still be outside charging with the cable run under the garage door.
I used PodPoint which after EST grant bought the price down to £59 installed.

Not the prettiest of devices but can't fault the function and the installer was great too.

I originally purchased a 3pin Ohme charger / cable, whilst waiting for the install of a 7kw Ohme charger. Work brilliantly. I’m now about to sell my 3pin one and buy a 32amp commando one for another property (can’t get another OLEV Grant ;) )

In the last three months my electricity bill has actually gone down despite starting to charge the car, got to love Agile ;)

Am I missing something here, if you have a commando socket (or dumb charger) and the ev.energy app connected to your Tesla account, doesn't the app and the car allow low rate charging?

What does the Ohme charger/cable do for me with Tesla?

Would need to get the commando adaptor for my existing 3pin Tesla charger and connect it up each time. I’ll leave the Tesla one in the car for emergencies and the Ohme one permanently plugged into the commando socket.

anything for an easy life ;)

Am I missing something here, if you have a commando socket (or dumb charger) and the ev.energy app connected to your Tesla account, doesn't the app and the car allow low rate charging?

What does the Ohme charger/cable do for me with Tesla?
Nothing unless you weren’t comfortable allowing a third-party service to control your car.

The Ohme is most useful for bringing intelligent control to charging a car from a dumb socket when you can’t control it from the car.

OK, Thanks for getting back to me, it's a good alternative to a regular "charger" and is smart which is good too, given Tesla has the car access, so does Teslafi I'm not worried about control, I turned it on before Agile and seemed to work nicely. I think I'll consider it as a second charger option.

Thanks for the replies so far, there's so many combinations and options of chargers, smart cables, and apps it's difficult to know whats the best solution. Does the ev.energy app work with any smart charger? The EO Mini looks good but if your're having tethered version which seems the most convenient it doesn't look to have any cable management so might be better with a charger with cable management built in.

Thanks for the replies so far, there's so many combinations and options of chargers, smart cables, and apps it's difficult to know whats the best solution. Does the ev.energy app work with any smart charger? The EO Mini looks good but if your're having tethered version which seems the most convenient it doesn't look to have any cable management so might be better with a charger with cable management built in.
ev.energy app works with any Tesla. The commands to adjust charging times to minimise costs are sent to the car rather than the wall unit.