Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Agile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a great time to change , look at this evening! Even after the peak hours!
Screenshot_20200915-044436_Octopus Tariff.jpg

National Grid paid about £50 million for Sizewell B to be shutdown to assist in grid balancing.
In retrospect that appears to have been a bad decision (who'd have guessed) with coal fired stations having to be brought back online and record high wholesale prices.
I think there needs to be an enquiry into this decision because there is only one organisation benefiting from this cosy arrangement. And it's French.

• Informative
Reactions: drewpost and CMc1
So, what’s the consenus? Do we think this is a temporary situation and Agile rates will go back down, or is this the end of Agile being so clearly more beneficial for those of us that can switch their demand to the lowest-cost periods?

So, what’s the consenus? Do we think this is a temporary situation and Agile rates will go back down, or is this the end of Agile being so clearly more beneficial for those of us that can switch their demand to the lowest-cost periods?
I believe it to be temporary, there are a few nuclear reactors down for maintenance at the moment and combined with low wind is pushing up the wholesale prices. Also, the cost of gas is increasing at the moment, which it historically does at this time of year anyway. It has also been warm, which increases the load as thousands of aircon units are being cranked up.

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and Jeeves
I believe it to be temporary, there are a few nuclear reactors down for maintenance at the moment and combined with low wind is pushing up the wholesale prices. Also, the cost of gas is increasing at the moment, which it historically does at this time of year anyway. It has also been warm, which increases the load as thousands of aircon units are being cranked up.
That’s my take on it too. My rolling 30-day average is still below 10p/kWh (excluding VAT and standing charge). That’s still below the off-peak EV tariff I used to have with EDF.

Switched over to go last night otherwise it probably would have been a pretty expensive day, and the next few days look fairly expensive to, thought not as bad as today. There's a few nuclear reactors due back on by the end of the month, though I imagine as we get into the winter there is going to be more demand on electric so we probably won't see very cheap days until we get some windy weather.

How long did Octopus take to change you onto Go or Agile? I joined them on the 28th, they tell me the smart meter is fine, but absolutely no idea when I can get onto a decent tariff to charge the car with

I've just moved to Go and the various emails and account messages said that they need to track your meter data for approx. 2 weeks before they will switch you to Go. In my case, I was waiting for my old SMETS1 meter to be changed by Octopus to a new SMETS2 meter, so it was pretty obvious when this window started. I had the message notifying me they were ready to move me to Go within the two week timescale. I think it was around 10 days or so.

Octopus have been pretty good at replying to my emails within 36 hours or so. Far easier than sitting on hold on the phone.

Reactions: Roy W.