Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Agile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Powerwall cures the 4-7pm highspot.
That’s a very expensive solution. Try as I might (and I’ve been guilty of some classic man maths over the years) I just can’t press the button on a powerwall. The payback just isn’t there until either all suppliers are charging peak rate prices (the likely end game for smart meters) or battery prices half again. Even a smaller system like Enphase (1.2kWh modules) that I could self install cost £1500 and would save best case 1.2kWh x 35p x 365 days = £153 per year. Even with zero % loans from the energy saving trust, it doesn’t add up

A powerwall is a lovely bit of kit but it’s not something you buy to save money

Wouldn’t want to be Head of Operations for Hunterston B this weekend - probably going to cost them to fix something and pay imbalance charges for not generation when they’re supposed to (unless they just turned on another generator instead).

Completely agree. The sums just don't add up. Electricity prices would have to rise astronomically to make it pay for itself.

The sums don't add up, yet....

Imagine when we're all using electric cars and the demand is higher, I can foresee then that the powerwall could have come in to it's own.

I know but I’ve got two and my God, it makes you feel smug.
I think now I know how vegans feel ;):D

Nothing wrong with that.

Humans think we have the god given right to do what we want. Being vegan and owning an electric car massively helps reduce your carbon footprint so all good on that front!

Powerwalls seem to be verging on unattainable and TEsla just put the prices up (in the US at least)

I was hoping battery day would result in cheaper and more plentiful powerwalls - The answer appeared to be yes, but not yet i.e. come back in 2022

Or start digging a hole. According to this Potential Energy
You get 0.027kWh potential energy by raising 1000kg by 10m (or letting it drop that far)
So only a 2km hole, cable and dynamo and I could turn my M3 into a Powerwall.
Really puts battery density into perspective!

Sunday morning rates look better :)
134423D1-99FC-42CF-BEDB-E27D8228E52B.jpeg