Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Agile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you fellas do when the price goes upto the cap of 35p/kW, switch off the grid?

How often does it max out per day/week?
Doesn't always max out but 4pm-7pm each day are the peak periods.

I just try to avoid using the washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher etc during those hours. Still need to use the oven for the kids mealtime so can't completely avoid it.

The gains from the cheap periods outwith the peak make up for any unavoidable usage during the peak hours.

Here's a pretty average day:

SmartSelect_20201026-211739_Octopus Watch.jpg

Reactions: PV4EV and AndyS3
What do you fellas do when the price goes upto the cap of 35p/kW, switch off the grid?

Turn on the batteries between 1600 and 1930..make sure they're fully charged for 1600 and they generally last till 2230 when the next cheap period starts to charge them again. That's with only 2x 2.2 connected..hopefully I'll have the other 3 connected next week.

Reactions: PV4EV
Doesn't always max out but 4pm-7pm each day are the peak periods.

I just try to avoid using the washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher etc during those hours. Still need to use the oven for the kids mealtime so can't completely avoid it.

The gains from the cheap periods outwith the peak make up for any unavoidable usage during the peak hours.

Here's a pretty average day:

View attachment 602666
What app is this, if you don't mind me asking

Here's a screen grab from my Octopus Agile account. I've sent this to a mate considering switching to Octopus, and he was still on the same EON tariff I was on until earlier this year. I've add red annotations for EON, a comment in yellow, and the usage kWh.

He emailed back saying the deed has been done using my referral code :)

As others may have noticed, plunge pricing and very low kWh rates coincide with windy days, and winters not really begun yet, so the next 6 months on Agile could be quite interesting. Overall so far its been noticeably lower than 'Go', partly because I do not need loads of power between 4pm-7pm.

2020  10  25   charging whilst getting paid for it   plunge pricing 3.jpg

Reactions: AndyS3

Here’s my average over last 4 months, excluding the plunge on Saturday (can’t pull that due to DST bug whilst pulling report). I mainly charge at Superchargers though due to high commuting.

79FC5478-9D43-4FEF-B2F3-560AE01D12FB.jpeg

Can find your local prices and averages over 18 month etc on the following site: (I assume you’re London from your profile) Octopus Agile London - Energy Stats UK

Reactions: AndyS3
So I’ve been with Octopus for two months, patiently waiting for them to connect me to Go or Agile. They eventually said they couldn’t connect to my smart meter and replaced it with a gen 2, but that was over a week ago. I’m now at the point of being so fed up with waiting I’d like to move to another provider - is anyone on the edf ev tariff? Any good? Any other options?

So I’ve been with Octopus for two months, patiently waiting for them to connect me to Go or Agile. They eventually said they couldn’t connect to my smart meter and replaced it with a gen 2, but that was over a week ago. I’m now at the point of being so fed up with waiting I’d like to move to another provider - is anyone on the edf ev tariff? Any good? Any other options?
It can take up to a couple of weeks before your new smart meters report data back to Octopus. They can’t switch you until this happens. Can you see half-hourly data on your Octopus account?

Hi Roy, no nothing still - only readings on the account are my manual ones. It just seems really poor - someone only has to press a button surely...
I’m really not sure what’s involved. I suspect it’s a bit more than that because the radio networks the meters use aren’t controlled by the utility companies, so it’s more than just Octopus involved.

I already had compatible smart meters when I joined Octopus, but my sister recently had her SMETS2 meters installed, and it was just a fortnight before they started reporting back to Octopus.

It’s really up to you if you want to switch, but of course there’s nothing to say that EDF, or anyone else will be any better!

Wow didn’t realise how cool that report could be! Here’s mine (pretty happy with 8.92p average):

View attachment 602869
It is a great report, I've just run the report for the dates they were receiving data but hadn't notified me so wasn't on agile, the only real change I've made is just charging the car with ev.energy rather than as soon as I got back home and even with that the rate would have still been 11.66p/kWh! It's hovering around 9p now I'm using the app.

It is a great report, I've just run the report for the dates they were receiving data but hadn't notified me so wasn't on agile, the only real change I've made is just charging the car with ev.energy rather than as soon as I got back home and even with that the rate would have still been 11.66p/kWh! It's hovering around 9p now I'm using the app.
Ev.energy has proven to be most excellent, I am extremely happy with it as a set and forget system that I know will reliably give me the cheapest 30 minute charge windows. And it’s free!

Reactions: m3gt2 and Medved_77