Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy IHD showing incorrect pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a couple of months back, I had my Octopus smart meter installed including a shiny new in-home display. A couple of days later (actually without further prompting which I was quite impressed about), Octopus switched me over to Octopus Go so I could merrily charge my car at a cheaper rate.

Since then, my IHD hasn't shown the correct pricing. Using the example below recording after having charged the car overnight:

9:34 in the morning, total usage 17.46kWh with a cost of £2.92
£2.92 - £0.25 (daily standing charge) = £2.67
£2.67 / 17.46kWh = £0.1529/kWh

So, unless my calcs are incorrect, my IHD thinks I should be charged 15.29p/kWh. When questioned Octopus confirmed my rates are 5p/kWh for Go, 14.4p/kWh at other times. My old rate was 14.75p/kWh, so it's not using that either...

I haven't had a bill since the tariff change yet, but Octopus assure me that at their end the pricing is correct.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on with this? I've asked Octopus - they seem to be stalling - but my family keep questioning me on why my car costs so much to run as we go over our 'budget' energy usage by mid-week!

Any ideas?

For the first three months I owned the car, I downloaded the logs of start/stop times from the wall charger and used a spreadsheet to marry that up with my tariff periods. That allowed me to determine exactly what I was paying to charge the car. I then combined that with my public charger bills to work out how much less the total was than diesel on my old car.

Content that the saving was dramatic, I then forgot about it and started using the ev.energy app with Agile to finesse the costs even further. The ev.energy app lists the costs for each charge, but like any app that gets the data from the car, I think it is making an estimate on the losses due to transformer inefficiencies. Close enough though.

63A731DD-12D4-454E-9EBD-86AD4F480F64.png

So a couple of months back, I had my Octopus smart meter installed including a shiny new in-home display. A couple of days later (actually without further prompting which I was quite impressed about), Octopus switched me over to Octopus Go so I could merrily charge my car at a cheaper rate.

Since then, my IHD hasn't shown the correct pricing. Using the example below recording after having charged the car overnight:

9:34 in the morning, total usage 17.46kWh with a cost of £2.92
£2.92 - £0.25 (daily standing charge) = £2.67
£2.67 / 17.46kWh = £0.1529/kWh

So, unless my calcs are incorrect, my IHD thinks I should be charged 15.29p/kWh. When questioned Octopus confirmed my rates are 5p/kWh for Go, 14.4p/kWh at other times. My old rate was 14.75p/kWh, so it's not using that either...

I haven't had a bill since the tariff change yet, but Octopus assure me that at their end the pricing is correct.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on with this? I've asked Octopus - they seem to be stalling - but my family keep questioning me on why my car costs so much to run as we go over our 'budget' energy usage by mid-week!

Any ideas?

I had the same issue, incorrect tariff on the IHD, after getting my smart meter installed and switching to Go.

I emailed Octopus and they did something at their end which updated the IHD to the Go tariff, so they can in at least some circumstances solve this for you. Keep on at them, they certainly fixed it for me.

I've just changed to Agile as of midnight Thu/Fri. My Octopus account doesn't show any usage from Friday or Saturday yet. How long before it starts to appear?
It takes a few days and it also seems to take them a while to get integrated into the regular billing cycle.
Once it has settled down it is like clockwork.
I recommend the Octopus Watch app or OctoWatchdog app - they both allow you to see the Agile rates. OctoWatchdog has a really good display of your useage and bill for the day (available next day) so you can see exactly how much that toast frenzy cost.

Reactions: roadcred
I have had many discussions with Octopus over Issues over the past 10-11 months. Finally hoping to get resolution this week. They have advised that the IHD rate has a lag on it between 50 mins and an hour but the billing will be correct! They should be offering me a solution based on usage over a recent 2 week period then the 0030 rate will rest its head again. Fingers crossed that they were telling the truth!

OctoWatchdog has a really good display of your useage and bill for the day (available next day) so you can see exactly how much that toast frenzy cost.

Yes, already have it. The data on there mirrors what I see on the Octopus account, unsurprisingly, so nothing after Thursday yet. Glad to hear it should sort itself out though, and relieved I got changed over just before this windy spell - got 60kWh for just under £3!