Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did people game the system? - yes (we saw it here even)
Did people make more money than actually reflected the savings they made - yes
Was the system stupid and made it easy to do so - yes

All of this is interesting.

Did the national grid achieve savings in demand in the requested windows to reduce demand and reduce need to bring on additional expensive/CO2 heavy generation?

If yes then the other questions are things to improve later but not that relevant as the goal was demand reduction

Shift usage, not use more.

Sure, some people will have extracted the urine by essentially wasting energy, but for me it was enough to concentrate a few days worth of high usage (charging, dishwasher, washing machine, tumbler, 1 off oven cleaning, having dinner earlier etc.) into that window. It led to me using less energy during other times, including peak times.

The rules as written do have a perverse incentive and one that was likely unintentional (but also so obvious I have doubts), but it’s actually shown what people can do with an incentive. Hopefully the future iteration of the system will use that to encourage people to shift high usage, in the same manner, to a time more beneficial to the grid.

NG knew of the issue before starting the scheme and accepted the risk. I.e. it wasn’t unintentional.

Q: Could consumers moving demand in anticipation of an event influence the in-day baseline readjustment?
A: We acknowledge that this is a risk. This is another one of the factors for the DFS being an enhanced action rather than an everyday action. We hope that the use of an industry agreed baseline methodology with the agreed sample size will be sufficient to avoid such behaviour.

• Informative
Reactions: Pink Duck
It’s good to know it’s not just me then. I surmise that they thought it a bit unfair to judge the top 20% of savers from the one with late notice, so may have switched internally to rewarding the top 20% of savers throughout but giving a £ per kWh saved in the final session via bonus points on top of saving rate.

Even so, does that mean there’s no 100 bonus points for streaking to the last one?

Last edited:
Shift usage, not use more.

Sure, some people will have extracted the urine by essentially wasting energy, but for me it was enough to concentrate a few days worth of high usage (charging, dishwasher, washing machine, tumbler, 1 off oven cleaning, having dinner earlier etc.) into that window. It led to me using less energy during other times, including peak times.

The rules as written do have a perverse incentive and one that was likely unintentional (but also so obvious I have doubts), but it’s actually shown what people can do with an incentive. Hopefully the future iteration of the system will use that to encourage people to shift high usage, in the same manner, to a time more beneficial to the grid.

sure but if you’re moving into around that peak spike area you’re adding to already high demand

sure but if you’re moving into around that peak spike area you’re adding to already high demand
The peak ramp up in usage is fairly sharp, so only the tail end of the adjustment periods really added to the build up.

In any new scheme they could target an incentivised adjustment period to be the lowest usage period, preferably when supply is outstripping demand similar to when Agile pays you to use power. The calculations could even be tweaked to ensure it’s load shifting and not extra usage to gain more.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Also sucky for me, since National Grid miscalculated my final session (possibly everyone’s) and ended up 4.8 kWh under what it should have been - so down £19.18 :(

My theory being they had dodgy server date/time calculation code mishandling the review from BST back into GMT. In particular, in-day adjustment on last appears to have been calculated for T−3 to T−0, instead of T−4 to T−1.

Sure, some people will have extracted the urine by essentially wasting energy, but for me it was enough to concentrate a few days worth of high usage
No piss-taking involved. This policy, laid down by central government, directly penalised the people who chose to invest in energy saving measures. No qualms at all about changing my charging times to peak periods in advance.

Don't forget that Octopus cheerfully pay the statutory minimum (4.1p/kWh) for export before selling it back to you at 10x the price.

Also sucky for me, since National Grid miscalculated my final session (possibly everyone’s) and ended up 4.8 kWh under what it should have been - so down £19.18 :(

My theory being they had dodgy server date/time calculation code mishandling the review from BST back into GMT. In particular, in-day adjustment on last appears to have been calculated for T−3 to T−0, instead of T−4 to T−1.
They screwed that up back in Oct when they were doing the trails.

• Informative
Reactions: Pink Duck