Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just set departure off peak charging to on and 5:30. It won’t start charging when plugged in and IO will still control everything.

Just watch out for preconditioning as it will draw power from the mains. Wish there was a way to tell it to precondition during peak using the battery power, as it’s cheap!
If your charger supports time slots, just set it to turn off after departure time with IO and then back on let say an hour later if lets say you are a regular morning leaver.

If your charger supports time slots, just set it to turn off after departure time with IO and then back on let say an hour later if lets say you are a regular morning leaver.
Yeah I was considering trying that out. Got covid atm so don’t fancy standing near the garage in the rain trying to connect to the bloody wall connectors wifi hotspot :mad:

I'll be quite surprised if Octopus change the rates of Go/Intelligent.
1664480859041.png
1664480894770.png

I genuinely am confused by the email. It says

The Energy Price Guarantee caps the average unit rate to 34p / kWh (this number varies by region) — and with a smart time–of–use tariff, that means the combined average of your off-peak and peak rates is capped at 34p.

So although your day rate is above 34p, the Government’s rules are very clear: we can’t apply the subsidy because your night rate is so low, and overall you’re already paying less than the Energy Price Guarantee ratesfor your electricity.”

But ((20*40)+(4*7.5))/24 is 34.58. So above 34p. So either the email is numerically inaccurate or they actually mean the blended rate on the bill based on actual usage (which for most will be under 34p)

I genuinely am confused by the email. It says

The Energy Price Guarantee caps the average unit rate to 34p / kWh (this number varies by region) — and with a smart time–of–use tariff, that means the combined average of your off-peak and peak rates is capped at 34p.

So although your day rate is above 34p, the Government’s rules are very clear: we can’t apply the subsidy because your night rate is so low, and overall you’re already paying less than the Energy Price Guarantee ratesfor your electricity.”

But ((20*40)+(4*7.5))/24 is 34.58. So above 34p. So either the email is numerically inaccurate or they actually mean the blended rate on the bill based on actual usage (which for most will be under 34p)
But if it's weighted by units consumed the average price is much lower.

Also if you're on IO it's 6 hours not 4.

Reactions: Toblerone
But if it's weighted by units consumed the average price is much lower.

Also if you're on IO it's 6 hours not 4.
Indeed. Which is what I’ve asked them to confirm.

I am shifting as much of my EV charging to work as I can (free). I don’t have many other significant loads I can time shift. I’d prefer to keep Go in case I need to charge at home but if the cap is not applied it might be better to go back to flexible.

Just received an email from Octopus. As expected they’re saying the combined rate is below the 34p cap from the government. What’s annoying is their claim that they’re not allowed to apply any reduction. They should have discounted the day rate or at the very least gone back to the 5p off peak rate.

Does anyone know of any alternatives to Octopus?

I've moved most of my DHW over to the immersion heater. I've set the Solar iBoost to run the immersion for an hour at 04:30 (which draws mainly from the batteries). Any excess solar heats it during the day.
The gas boiler is scheduled to come on for an hour from 16:30 just in case there was no excess solar production during the day.

Reactions: MattM76