Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our go rates are staying the same with the 5p for 4 hrs. we only use about £70 a month on electricity with the 2 of us at work all day and the gov are giving £67 a month so they've put our direct debit on hold for 6 months are we're already in good credit.....happy days, no leccy bills for 6 months

Reactions: DeejUK and _Dave_
T

What makes you think that? The off peak ocst is outrageously cheap compared to what most people are having to pay. It already is a loss-leader for Octopus, but you want to make it an even bigger loss maker?
Loss leader - Is it now? Or does being a renewables generator as well as a end user supplier offer you a different price model to the rest of the market in the current circumstances?

Reactions: cryo
Is it too late to switch to Ocotopus? Recently got my Model Y & want to get the best price for charging an ev overnight for a few hours (like everyone else)
I only swapped a few weeks ago and they haven’t changed the rates since then, so suspect you still can.
I first went to Octopus Go and as soon as I got the car to Intelligent Octopus.

You have to call them to switch. There’s a referral in my profile if you want £50 credit (which you can also give them over the phone - I did it this way).

I only swapped a few weeks ago and they haven’t changed the rates since then, so suspect you still can.
I first went to Octopus Go and as soon as I got the car to Intelligent Octopus.

You have to call them to switch. There’s a referral in my profile if you want £50 credit (which you can also give them over the phone - I did it this way).
Is there a way to compare my current OVO plan with Octopus? I’ve been fixed for the last year or so & it’s fixed up until April (I think)

Is there a way to compare my current OVO plan with Octopus? I’ve been fixed for the last year or so & it’s fixed up until April (I think)
Prices vary slightly by region. My IO is as follows:
1664698866346.png

So just look at how many KWh you use and compare cost.

For example, last night I charged from approx 55% up to 80%. The octopus app says I used 17.25 kWh over the last 12 hours to do this (along with other household usage)

1664699192825.png

So that cost me 17.25 x 7.5 = £1.29

Reactions: _Dave_
My IO has completely given up now. Plug in after 5. No schedule. It used to be that if I messed around with charging %, app restarts, it worked. Now nothing. It’s rubbish now. Until a month or so ago it worked perfectly.
Strange. I plugged in 10 mins ago (19.45) & just got a 5hr schedule. Sometimes it takes much longer for the slots to appear but they always do.

Reactions: UrbanSplash
My IO has completely given up now. Plug in after 5. No schedule. It used to be that if I messed around with charging %, app restarts, it worked. Now nothing. It’s rubbish now. Until a month or so ago it worked perfectly.
As Drew57 said. It takes much longer to get a schedule now, as it’s a way of lowering battery drain due to not waking the car as often.
Plug in as normal, then stop the charge via the Tesla app straight away. In around 30-45mins max look at the octopus app again and the IO schedule will be there. The car will begin charging as soon as it reaches your scheduled start time.

Have you tried reconnecting the device in the Account & Settings part of your app. Go to Intelligent Octopus and in the list is Reconnect device.

I did that the other day when my schedule didn't show up and it worked after doing a reconnect. First time in about 2 months I had to do that.

So, finally today we are officially on IO after a month of switch and meter access issues…the octopus app suggests that I need to plug in the car after 5pm for a plan to be created. However as soon as I connect the Tesla wall charger it starts charging.

The only setting I have is that the battery setting on the car is at 80%. None of the scheduled charging are set on Tesla app or the Tesla wall charger. The IO app is also @80% and ready by 08:00.

Isn’t the IO supposed to not charge between 23:30 - 05:30 unless it is bump charged?

Any simplistic guidance would be much appreciated?

So, finally today we are officially on IO after a month of switch and meter access issues…the octopus app suggests that I need to plug in the car after 5pm for a plan to be created. However as soon as I connect the Tesla wall charger it starts charging.

The only setting I have is that the battery setting on the car is at 80%. None of the scheduled charging are set on Tesla app or the Tesla wall charger. The IO app is also @80% and ready by 08:00.

Isn’t the IO supposed to not charge between 23:30 - 05:30 unless it is bump charged?

Any simplistic guidance would be much appreciated?
Car usually starts charging immediately after you plug it in for a couple minutes until it is detected by IO and stopped. Or you can manually stop charge from the Tesla app immediately after you plug in to be mindful of those precious kWh on peak £££.
Then the smart charging plan is created and in the event IO gives you slots outside of the 23.30-05.30 period IO will instruct the car to resume charge again.
I suggest setting the limit to 100% on IO and limiting through the regular Tesla app. IO will not charge above what is set on the Tesla app.