Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has someone here switched from EDF?

I am on a variable tariff which is about 35.5p with EDF and Octopus have quoted me 36p variable (not fixed) and about 10p off peak.

Theres so much bad news about switching atm because of the cost. But it seems if I move to Octopus I would save lots more money because off-peak is cheaper? Is there any negatives here I am not seeing as I am not in a fixed agreement with EDF.

Cheers all
I was forced into EDF when utility point went bust and moved to Octopus as soon as I got a smart meter fitted. No issues so far for me. Loving the IO tariff which is working out at an average of about 15p per kWh overall on 31p/7.5p rates.

I was told 36ish on the 'intelligent tarrif' which I presume is different to Go
My current IO rates, moved onto the tariff 28th October

1669060448970.png

If they are offering 36p and 10p I wanna know about it!

I was forced into EDF when utility point went bust and moved to Octopus as soon as I got a smart meter fitted. No issues so far for me. Loving the IO tariff which is working out at an average of about 15p per kWh overall on 31p/7.5p rates.
This is good to know.

I was also forced from U.P to EDF , who are simply awful imo.

Octopus smart meter being fitted on Mon.
9.6kw of batteries due end of Dec (2022)
4.05kva solar system due this week.

The next Savings Session has just been announced for 17:30–18:30 today.

Those little power savings near 0 kWh can make a big difference when the In-Day Adjustment is significant.

Plus those continuing after the first session will get, wait for it…
  • 100 extra OctoPoints (worth 12.5 p)
  • 8 more chances to win the 400,000 OctoPoint spot prize (worth £500)

Last edited:
Octopus Intelligent is a sham.

I moved to them in June, for the EV charging rate of 7.5p from 23.30-5.30. A great deal I thought. So I moved Electric and Gas over to them. All is well for two months, until it came to August, when suddenly for one week I had no "half hour meter readings".
So I contact Octopus and advise them on phone/email. They tell me they will look into. Days/weeks go by and after me constantly hassling them for an explanation via phone and email. I get told I will receive a call once the problem is fixed.
Days/weeks/months go by, and still nothing.
I then suddenly notice the meter readings started working, about a week ago. So I contact them and ask for an explanation and readings for the last few months. I receive nothing.

A week later (today). I receive and email telling me I've been charged at the full variable rate from August to when the readings started. No explanation still, just that the tariff is a "beta" and that it states they can do that in the small print. They offer me £50, even though I've been overcharged by about £150 just from car charging alone.

I am absolutely livid with this. So I have replied asking for an immediate call otherwise I'm going to the Ombudsman.
Now, in my eyes, this is a con. I suggest no one moved their tariff to them because their customer service is an absolute joke. Yes cheaper rates, but looks to me like a con. No explanation as to what happened, just over charging me because they can in the small print.
BEWARE

ps. I'm rage typing so excuse the mistakes

Very frustrating, but take a breath! It may take a time, but there are things that you can do or try to sort this out.

- Keep negotiating as they might move from their initial response. If not raise a formal complaint.
- Make sure that you calculate / evidence the amount you believe that you have been overcharged. Have you got other electricity usage apps installed? If not then one of these would be a useful alternative way of checking readings in the future. (Don't know if they work historically).
- Once you have exhausted the Octopus complaint process, take the issue to the Ombudsman citing for example that the small print is not treating customers fairly. Don't expect the Ombudsman to work quickly though.