Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bjorn demonstrating what happens if you only have 16 Amps available. At -11C it took the battery 45 minutes to warm up enough to start to charge (1 degree/2 minutes, battery needed 10C to start charging).
Bjorn video low temp AC charge at -11C
Since the RWD only has 3.5kW battery heating available from the single motor, it will presumably also have the same limitation at these very low temperatures, and require 30+ minutes to get warm enough to start charging. Although a 7.5kW charger has more power available, the car cant use it to heat the battery faster, so it wont help until the battery warms up.
My car is currently at 85%, and IO schedule 3 half hour charges with gaps, lets see how it gets on......
12-12:30
2.30-3
3.30-4
So heres what happened:
1671231757635.png

First charge not as inefficient as the previous one. Perhaps this was because on the previous one the car had been standing cold for several days. This time I had been out in the car between 2 and 3. Either the battery kept some warmth or chemically was more ready to take charge.
1671231896176.png

1671231951494.png

Second and third charge 85 and 98 percent efficient. Thats pretty good. It seems the gap from 12:30 to 2:30 wasnt long enough for the battery to lose much of its readiness to charge. By the third charge there isnt a battery heating symbol at all. The battery must retain its temperature across a half hour gap (3.30 to 4).
Conclusion is that at last nights temperature of -6 degrees, while a single half hour on a car that had been left for a long time would not be an effective top up, any series of slots longer than half an hour, even if they are spaced, will work effectively to charge the car on a 7.5kW charger.
A grannie charger might lose charging efficiency a lot more on LFP battery at these temperatures.

I've been looking at the National Grid ESO app lately along with Octopus IO stopping charging between 17:30 and 19:00, realising that they are doing so primarily because of the cost to them to supply the pricier energy, even when the grid forecast sometime states 16:00-18:00 to be the overall cleanest time of day (in terms of gCO2/kWh) and on a recent occasion the least green at 04:00-06:00!

How do I stop the car charging when I have the cars heating set to go off in the morning?

I have a zappi charger. Now on IO I have to leave it in fast charge mode. IO then controls the charging in the night, but it dosnt stop the car from starting to charge at 6.45, when I use TeslaFi to turn on the heating. Is there a way I can stop it drawing current (@ high day time rate) and just use the battery power instead to heat up?
It’s not “charging”, but no you can’t force the car to use its battery to heat the cabin up. If it’s plugged in it will always use shore power for heating/ac. The only way to do it is to pull the plug unless there is a way in the zappi to disable power between certain time periods.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I woke up this morning to find my car didnt charge and to be fair i didnt check for a schedule last night. This morning i told the all to have the car ready by 9am and its giving me a 1hr slot to charge on the app, would this be at the peak rate or kff peak rate?
Many thanks

Hey - Quick one, picked up my MYP yesterday so I am going to look to switch today from GO to IO. I have a Zappi and set it into FAST - In the setting for fast I have turned off charge when plugged in. Question is, will IO work with this setting as IO should just then schedule a charge and I wont have to worry about it starting a charge whenever I plug the car in?

Also, I assume if I didn't want to use extra windows I could just set a charge schedule on the Zappi to 11:30-05:30 and be done with it? (main reason for wanting an exact window is that if I don't set a charge window for my battery storage the Zappi will pull from the storage battery as well as from the Grid)

Hey - Quick one, picked up my MYP yesterday so I am going to look to switch today from GO to IO. I have a Zappi and set it into FAST - In the setting for fast I have turned off charge when plugged in. Question is, will IO work with this setting as IO should just then schedule a charge and I wont have to worry about it starting a charge whenever I plug the car in?

Also, I assume if I didn't want to use extra windows I could just set a charge schedule on the Zappi to 11:30-05:30 and be done with it? (main reason for wanting an exact window is that if I don't set a charge window for my battery storage the Zappi will pull from the storage battery as well as from the Grid)
Some people do use Tesla settings to block the initial change & others like me just plug in using FAST on the Zappi & manually stop a few seconds later. Both approaches seem to work.

I'm not sure what changing settings in the Zappi itself would do as I believe IO just wants a totally 'dumb' charge device it can fully control.

I have two sets of batteries, both with separate inverters/apps and I've set them to block discharge overnight so car charging only happens via the IO slots & always from grid only.

Octopus was excluded from the 30-minute Saving Session possibility yesterday because they have already essentially completed 6 of the 1-hour sessions slightly ahead of the intended 4 in first month, 2 in each of the consequent months. So nothing happening today, even though it would be a good opportunity for such, unless National Grid ESO actually declare it the first true DFS instance. Should have heard via app by now if so but remains “Stay tuned for the next Saving Session!”

Some people do use Tesla settings to block the initial change & others like me just plug in using FAST on the Zappi & manually stop a few seconds later. Both approaches seem to work.

I'm not sure what changing settings in the Zappi itself would do as I believe IO just wants a totally 'dumb' charge device it can fully control.

I have two sets of batteries, both with separate inverters/apps and I've set them to block discharge overnight so car charging only happens via the IO slots & always from grid only.

Brilliant thank you for that information. I have now successfully done the test charge etc… and have an initial charge window of 02:30-03.00am lol don’t think it will be getting from 64%-80% in a half hour hahaha

I’m hoping this is an initial charge thing?! Or maybe wait till 17:00 and it will give me some more slots 🤷‍♂️

Brilliant thank you for that information. I have now successfully done the test charge etc… and have an initial charge window of 02:30-03.00am lol don’t think it will be getting from 64%-80% in a half hour hahaha

I’m hoping this is an initial charge thing?! Or maybe wait till 17:00 and it will give me some more slots 🤷‍♂️
It will likely give you some more slots shortly.

Reactions: daveface

The plug-in charge setting only applies to Eco+ mode as some cars need to see a working charger when first plugged in otherwise they write it off as faulty. Teslas do not require this setting.

Different people have different ways of dealing with IO. A commonly used setup is to leave the Zappi on fast and set an off-peak schedule in the car for 0530. This way the car won’t charge during the peak rate if you plug in early, however will start and stop charging as instructed by IO.

Personally, I’ve set my Zappi to Eco+ during the day and Fast at 2330 hrs. This way the car won’t charge during peak rates, however I can still use surplus PV by switching off smart charging in the Octopus app.

Reactions: daveface
In case it helps people who have Home Assistant, Domoticz or similar, I have a home automation system set up which can tell the car to stop charging via the API and I use some code another forum member sent me to read in the current unit cost from Intelligent Octopus. This means if the car is charging when electricity is at peak rate (and I am not exporting energy to the grid from my solar panels) the system tells the car to stop charging.

When plugging the car in, it will start charging for about 10 seconds or so before the home automation system shuts it off. IO then does its thing perfectly happily without interference. There is no scheduling set in the car itself. Seems to be working perfectly so far...

Reactions: Ben_
Hey all.. after some advice after owning my Model 3 now for just under a month.

I am fortunate that I fixed in March 2022 so am on the 'old price cap' of 28p per kwh of electric and roughly 7p per kwh of gas until March 2023.
I'm of course wanting to look at Octopus go / Intelligent Octopus and am free to switch as I have an Ohme Home Pro charger installed at home already.
However, I've read / heard about concerns about Tesla app location and recognising being outside your home to get the correct charge rate?
Example: In the Tesla App, it states location is at Number 12, but actually live at number 18.

Would this have any impact / issue? I want to get in on the 4 - 6 hours of reduced tariffs at I think was 12p per KWh when I last checked and just transferring to the EPG rate for gas with Octopus from March but can anyone suggest if there would be any barriers / issues with the above??