Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to move to intelligent octopus as my fixed go faster expires on 2nd March. but everytime I go through the sign up page it blanks out and puts me back to the start, anyone else having these problems?

I've tried multiple devices and locations so it's not like it's a firewall issue etc.

I've emailed octopus but it's been nearly a week without reply.

Anyone had issues with test charge failing every single time? I've attempted to even sit in the car while it performs test charged and still nothing
I did at one point on Friday when Octopus asked me to reconnect the Intelligent Octopus device (ie car) because a change at Tesla had deleted my token (iPhone app showed '540 vehicle server error’ & was frozen to the prior SOC image).

I only managed to complete the test once I deleted and reinstalled the Tesla iPhone app, reset the car with a 2 button/brake reset and then reconnected my IO account via the Octopus app whilst sitting in the car including starting the test charge.

Make sure that you have disabled all smart settings (ie charger needs to be on the basic 7kW 'dumb' setting) & remove any charge schedules on both car and charger. Finally make sure that the charging slider on Tesla app or the car screen will be high enough to allow at least 5 minutes of charging. I set mine at 5% above current SOC.

Current software when I reset IO earlier today:
Tesla software - 2021.44.30.11
iPhone 13 Pro - iOS 15.3
Tesla iPhone app - 4.5.1
Zappi - v3.147 updated 1 week ago

Last edited:
Once you’re setup with the plan and done the test charge can you just use the normal smart charging routines on a zappi or similar to use solar first and schedule additional charges during off peak? Essentially benefiting from 2 extra hours off peak compared to octopus Go?

Once you’re setup with the plan and done the test charge can you just use the normal smart charging routines on a zappi or similar to use solar first and schedule additional charges during off peak? Essentially benefiting from 2 extra hours off peak compared to octopus Go?
I don’t know how others do it but in my case these work best for me:

Suspend IO smart charging via the Octopus app once the previous charge has completed & the car is unplugged. This avoids potential battery drain.

The car is always scheduled to start charging at 23.30 so if plugged in any other time on Fast mode it doesn’t start.

To charge from Solar I disable this & switch to Eco+ or Eco. IO has no impact as it’s also disabled as above.

After 5pm, for an overnight charge I re-enable IO via the app, see what slots it gives and if the first is before 23.30 (often is) use the Tesla app to adjust the cars’ scheduled start time.

Finally I set the charger to Fast mode which doesn’t start until the cars’ schedule allows & then all the allocated slots switch on-off accordingly until the time I’ve asked IO to be ready by (frequently later than 05.30 - often the last low cost charge finishes 6.30, 7.00 or 7.30)

When IO is suspended the car can be also charged anytime 23.30-05.30 as this period is always at the low rate, likewise for our other EV or household appliances on timers (same applies if all are set to charge when IO is active)

Last edited:
Reactions: yessuz and Llama.
I don’t know how others do it but in my case these work best for me:

Suspend IO smart charging via the Octopus app once the previous charge has completed & the car is unplugged. This avoids potential battery drain.

The car is always scheduled to start charging at 23.30 so if plugged in any other time on Fast mode it doesn’t start.

To charge from Solar I disable this & switch to Eco+ or Eco. IO has no impact as it’s also disabled as above.

After 5pm, for an overnight charge I re-enable IO via the app, see what slots it gives and if the first is before 23.30 (often is) use the Tesla app to adjust the cars’ scheduled start time.

Finally I set the charger to Fast mode which doesn’t start until the cars’ schedule allows & then all the allocated slots switch on-off accordingly until the time I’ve asked IO to be ready by (frequently later than 05.30 - often the last low cost charge finishes 6.30, 7.00 or 7.30)

When IO is suspended the car can be also charged anytime 23.30-05.30 as this period is always at the low rate, likewise for our other EV or household appliances on timers (same applies if all are set to charge when IO is active)
Thanks, seems a bit convoluted but will have a play. Prefer to just set once and forget. Is there any limit to use on off peak? I’m looking to get solar and a power wall. So was going to charge that off peak during winter. But if youre already charging another EV it sounds like that will be ok?

If you're asking, "can I perma-suspend IO's scheduling once I have the platform set up?" well yes technically you can, but be aware you are breaking their Terms of Use and they can kick you off the tariff.

I've been having issues with my charging as well with the following happening:

- My smart charging schedule doesn't appear to be registering any more in the Octopus App.

- A few evenings running, after clicking in and out of the Octopus app, I notice that in the "charge added" now shows as -0kwh". I've never seen a minus before?!

- My pen fault detection box trips out powering down my charger. This appears to happen if I got into the Octopus app a lot (although could be coincidence)

- If I reset my pen fault device the Tesla app doesn't show the correct change rate on the car (normally 32A). To reset it I have to unplug the car and re plug it in. Not something I'm willing to do in the middle of the night!

To get around this, I've been scheduling the car to charge via the Tesla app and have been staying out of the Octopus app completely. That seemed to work last night as the car actually charged for the first time in a few days.

I'm assuming there is an issue with Octopus rather than me as it's been working fine since last November and has only just started to play up. The tripping of the pen fault is a pain in the backside if I'm honest as if it does go in the middle of the night, I can't really get up and reset it all without waking the house up.

I've been having issues with my charging as well with the following happening:

- My smart charging schedule doesn't appear to be registering any more in the Octopus App.

- A few evenings running, after clicking in and out of the Octopus app, I notice that in the "charge added" now shows as -0kwh". I've never seen a minus before?!

- My pen fault detection box trips out powering down my charger. This appears to happen if I got into the Octopus app a lot (although could be coincidence)

- If I reset my pen fault device the Tesla app doesn't show the correct change rate on the car (normally 32A). To reset it I have to unplug the car and re plug it in. Not something I'm willing to do in the middle of the night!

To get around this, I've been scheduling the car to charge via the Tesla app and have been staying out of the Octopus app completely. That seemed to work last night as the car actually charged for the first time in a few days.

I'm assuming there is an issue with Octopus rather than me as it's been working fine since last November and has only just started to play up. The tripping of the pen fault is a pain in the backside if I'm honest as if it does go in the middle of the night, I can't really get up and reset it all without waking the house up.
Apparently Tesla changed something in their API on Friday, which may be a coincidence but may well have broken IO. I expect it will get fixed tomorrow when the Octopus devs are back.

Apparently Tesla changed something in their API on Friday, which may be a coincidence but may well have broken IO. I expect it will get fixed tomorrow when the Octopus devs are back.
I noticed that the Tesla app now shows charging history, so it sounds like something has changed. Let's see what happens but thanks for the comment. Fingers crossed it gets fixed as it's a bit of a lottery at the moment as to whether my car charges or not. Something is causing my pen fault device to trip and I can only imagine the Octopus app is doing something that trips it out.