Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will recalculate. In fact, you'll often find that it will recalculate its original schedule two or even three times through the early evening, as mine did tonight.
I had three charging slots last night set when I got home after 23.00, enabled IO & plugged in.

All were within the 23.30-05.30 period but the first 30 minutes (commencing 02.30) only ran for 5 minutes & stopped then the other two ran to schedule until the car reached its desired SOC. Maybe IO continues recalculating through the night?

You still get those declared slots as off peak? That’s my last question I think - how are you checking octopus stick to their end of the bargain? I had a slot that finished 7:30 this morning so don’t want to see a bull charging me 30p per unit because they forgot. Do they clearly show on the bill pages or are people taking screenshots of the planned schedule from the app and tallying at the end of the month?

I’ve never had any issue with billing, including with extra slots. The Octopus bill shows all half hour usage/cost if you need to check & in my case I can look at my solar inverter output which always tallies.

No need for screenshots, in my experience Octopus has always been accurate, fair and professional in their billing.

Reactions: Mrklaw and Tigermad
you can even disable the intelligent part on the app.
(Quote from another thread - this one is more relevant for my question though)

Does this mean I can be on IO and stop Octopus scheduling my charging?

Do you lose the extra (otherwise normal-rate) slots at the cheap rate outside 2330-0530 as a result?

I tend to charge my car only on nights where electricity has a lower carbon intensity….and am wondering if this will give me a longer window on such nights to fill my boots (I’m on Go right now - and limiting to 4hrs means you miss out on the cleanest energy sometimes, when you actually have spare battery to take it/subsequent nights are dirtier).

Not so keen on supervising Octopus doing it though/the on-off HH pattern/keeping my car awake - happiest being in control myself (could be convinced I’m being a stick-in-the-mud on that though).

Hence asking about yessuz’s comment….if I disable the intelligent bit on the app with IO would I lose much? Does it invalidate the IO agreement? IO being Go rates with an off-peak window on steroids means it would win for me (manual dishwasher would be compatible), the extra slots would be a bonus.

(Quote from another thread - this one is more relevant for my question though)

Do you lose the extra (otherwise normal-rate) slots at the cheap rate outside 2330-0530 as a result?

I tend to charge my car only on nights where electricity has a lower carbon intensity….and am wondering if this will give me a longer window on such nights to fill my boots (I’m on Go right now - and limiting to 4hrs means you miss out on the cleanest energy sometimes, when you actually have spare battery to take it/subsequent nights are dirtier).

Not so keen on supervising Octopus doing it though/the on-off HH pattern/keeping my car awake - happiest being in control myself (could be convinced I’m being a stick-in-the-mud on that though).

Hence asking about yessuz’s comment….if I disable the intelligent bit on the app with IO would I lose much? Does it invalidate the IO agreement? IO being Go rates with an off-peak window on steroids means it would win for me (manual dishwasher would be compatible), the extra slots would be a bonus.
IO does not sound like an appropriate tariff for you based on the comments above, especially "happiest being in control myself".

The whole purpose is to allow Octopus to control when the car charges based on the most economic times to do so and often that is a series of variable short or longer time slots. IO is not designed to be used as an extended 6 hour 'Go' tariff by merely disabling the smart charging aspect which would fall outside of the intended terms of use. If we all do that I would expect Octopus to remove it either individually or entirely.

As for keeping the car awake, I don't notice any adverse issues during the nightly schedule period. Manually disabling IO between charging sessions also avoids this & it's a simple flick of a slider on the app.

Yes, in general. Not sure what consequences will be. Probably none.

Yes. Scheduling in IO is the hole purpose. 2 days ago I got some cheap rate blocks 9:30 - 10:00 and 10:10:30 for example, and then all the period between 23:30 - 5:30

well, Sun shines during the day which is quite a chunk in UK generation... and wind usually is stronger during the day as well... and pump storage is actually pumping during the night, not releasing... just saying.

well that's a bummer then.
what you CAN do - is to disable scheduling for whole day and enable before connecting car at home.
it's grey zone, regarding TCs. it does not explicitly say that you MUST NOT disable scheduling.

Does anybody know why they aren't accepting Tesla's? I have literally just joined Octopus today and am on their very expensive standard tariff so obviously keen to move to a time of use tariff as quickly as possible. As I have a Tesla I thought IO would be perfect but now my plans are scuppered.

Is it better to move onto Octopus Go for the time being and then on to Intelligent Octopus when it becomes available again?

I believe it is only suspended for a few days while Octopus sort out a some issues for new registrations.

Someone I know had this response from Octopus 3 days ago…..

There has been some errors in the background of the app recently, which we are currently working on fixing.

Due to this the Tesla has been removed from the app however you should be able to access and set this up early next week.