Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do yourself out of extra off peak slot and Octopus the opportunity to minimise their carbon/cost footprint if you are just going to disable scheduled charging? All for the sake of managing the app for a few seconds a day.
I'd rather ensure it charges as close to the morning as possible. To save money on preheating the battery.

Also if it's keeping the car awake then that is a large waste if energy. Especially if it ever wakes it up away from home.

I don't want to have to remove Teslamate.

Happy to be educated though if my assumptions are wrong. I realise enabling it could increase the chance of charging closer to my departure time, but as it seems to spread it out, I'm guessing it isn't worth it.

Also I very rarely need more than 2 hours charging.

Sorry to say this but the internet seems to have an undercurrent of exasperation that Octopus are doing this regardless of the wholesale rates that they have to purchase at.

Personally I applaud them for giving us these smart tariffs regardless & will not complain provided they manage to remain in business.

Reactions: tj333
I'd rather ensure it charges as close to the morning as possible. To save money on preheating the battery.

Also if it's keeping the car awake then that is a large waste if energy. Especially if it ever wakes it up away from home.

I don't want to have to remove Teslamate.

Happy to be educated though if my assumptions are wrong. I realise enabling it could increase the chance of charging closer to my departure time, but as it seems to spread it out, I'm guessing it isn't worth it.

Also I very rarely need more than 2 hours charging.

I don't know if you get any meaningful battery heating from just charging unless you have the car explicitly set to precondition which is a separate thing.

I'd be curious to know how fast the battery cools though - if you precondition to end at the end of the normal IO time of 5:30 to avoid heating with peak electric, how long will that meaningfully last?

Quick question, sorry if it’s a dumb one.
I’ve been given my charging schedule for tonight, which starts at 10pm. Obviously this is outside the usual off peak hours.
I know that the car charge from 10pm will be charged at off peak, but does that include household appliances too?
For example, can I put the dishwasher on at 10pm and it be off peak, as per the charging schedule. Or do I need to wait until the official off peak hours of 11:30pm till 5:30am?

I’ve been given my charging schedule for tonight, which starts at 10pm. Obviously this is outside the usual off peak hours.
I know that the car charge from 10pm will be charged at off peak, but does that include household appliances too?
For example, can I put the dishwasher on at 10pm and it be off peak, as per the charging schedule. Or do I need to wait until the official off peak hours of 11:30pm till 5:30am?

Whole house gets it

• Informative
Reactions: hairysteve
Yes but be careful as IO frequently gives half or one hour slots with gaps until 23.30. In our case for the dishwasher & other appliances, once they start they keep going

Does anyone know if my in home display (supplied by SSE) will continue to work now I’m on I.O? It’s a Geo in home display.
When I go to the tariff section (shown on the pic) it has the correct standing charge figure of 26.82p for me. But obviously the current tariff section is incorrect, as it’s showing 32.76p. Instead of 29.82p peak and 7.5p off peak.
Is there any way I can manually input, or for it to update to my actual I.O tariff figures?
If not I suppose there’s no use for the display and it’s heading for the bin!
If that is the case, do octopus have in home displays available themselves?
Thanks for any help/advice in advance. :)

Attachments

• 2EC76159-C363-4126-B70F-D14107BB9455.jpeg
    2EC76159-C363-4126-B70F-D14107BB9455.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 71
These are normally generic and paired with the meter so it should work. But it isn’t likely to be able to keep up with a variable time of use tariff for cost tracking

Might let you put in the basic off peak period but if the app schedules any extras it’d assume those are peak

These are normally generic and paired with the meter so it should work. But it isn’t likely to be able to keep up with a variable time of use tariff for cost tracking

Might let you put in the basic off peak period but if the app schedules any extras it’d assume those are peak
Yes I wouldn’t mind at all if I could just manually input the peak and off peak hour rates so it represented the I.O figures, but there’s no option at all to set figures yourself in the settings (as far as I’m aware?)

Their own IHD can't cope with it either. In fact it can't even do basics like Go. People either get all peak, or (like me) all off-peak reported.

I keep my IHD around because it provides a handy quick summary of the house load in Watts.
Looks like it’s heading for the bin then! Lol.
Is there any way to get usage in pounds and pence per hour/day on the octopus app, instead of just kwh’s?
On the SSE app you can get a figure for every half an hour, and the days total. (I’ve got the smart meter readings recorded every 30mins.)
I’ve attached a screenshot of the SSE app. It’s only showing gas readings now, since swapping to Octopus. It used to show both gas and electric usage for every 30 mins.
7D80EED9-0C56-43E9-B349-5AA69F9B8278.png

Other parties ignore both (marriage counselling could have been a consideration but slow progress is being made).
I know the feeling! With the missus and 3 daughters, you can imagine the usage from hairdryers, straighteners, TV’s, all lights on constantly, including the heating! If the police helicopter flew over our house, they’d think there was a cannabis grow on the thermal camera with the amount of heat generated! Lol.
This is why I want an easy reference of an accurate to the second in home display, or half hour breakdown of actual price. Rather than just a kWh display on the octopus app and then trying to work out the cost from that.

• Funny
Reactions: NSS89
I know the feeling! With the missus and 3 daughters, you can imagine the usage from hairdryers, straighteners, TV’s, all lights on constantly, including the heating! If the police helicopter flew over our house, they’d think there was a cannabis grow on the thermal camera with the amount of heat generated! Lol.
This is why I want an easy reference of an accurate to the second in home display, or half hour breakdown of actual price. Rather than just a kWh display on the octopus app and then trying to work out the cost from that.
Yes your Octopus bill will give you that - here's a recent day showing several IO slots as an example. I know it's retrospective but even half hour real-time costs on your SSE app will always be 'behind' actual usage so less opportunity to react and reduce immediately if that's your intention.
Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 14.48.02.png