Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Would be good if you could produce one yourself for recent days.
There are several apps & websites you can use to look at your usage. Personally I use Octopus Compare on my phone, which allows for custom tariff settings. Not sure if it works with IO though, I've never checked. It will definitely show your 30-minute usage if not the actual cost breakdown.

Edit: Just checked the app, it does indeed support Intelligent Octopus in the list of tariffs.

Reactions: hairysteve
I’m having a right faff with IO now a second Tesla has turned up.

I emailed Octopus support and asked if a second could be added yet - they said ‘no’ but you can take one off and add the other as often as you like.

This was a mistake.

When you go to register the other Tesla, as both cars are associated with my Tesla account, the Octopus app can’t cope with the choice and registers neither. I am now without either car on IO and am forced to charge in the standard window with no access to smart time zones. Have contacted Ocotpus to see if there is another way to associate at least one Tesla with my account.

A work in progress it seems…

When you go to register the other Tesla, as both cars are associated with my Tesla account, the Octopus app can’t cope with the choice and registers neither. I am now without either car on IO and am forced to charge in the standard window with no access to smart time zones.
Have you tried removing one of the cars from your Tesla account, getting IO sorted, then re-adding the other car? That would at least be a workaround for now.

Both cars are leased, so it’s a massive faff going through the leasing companies to do that, particularly considering how long they took to add us to the app in the first place.

The Octopus app says third party integration may also be suitable. Does anybody know what that option may mean?

Whilst it "supports" IO, it will only account for the fixed 6hr off-peak period. If you want to take into account for and accurately cost your extra HH off peak slots you need something that will pull from your personal account API.
It does pull from your account API, that's how it knows what your usage is. I don't know if it adjusts for the out-of-schedule lower rate slots, I guess it would need someone on IO to test it & confirm. It adjusts for the moving Agile rates, so it's quite possible IO could be properly implemented. It's free to try, the paid functions just give access to some extra features not needed to test IO functionality.

My Octopus Compare uses the Jan 2022 IO tariff that I am on but
It does pull from your account API, that's how it knows what your usage is. I don't know if it adjusts for the out-of-schedule lower rate slots, I guess it would need someone on IO to test it & confirm. It adjusts for the moving Agile rates, so it's quite possible IO could be properly implemented. It's free to try, the paid functions just give access to some extra features not needed to test IO functionality.
No, I've been using it for months & Octopus Compare only shows usage between 23.30-05.30 at the correct 5p rate, all other slots (incorrectly) show as my peak 25.87p rate.

I compare against my previous Go Faster tariff but it is only a guide & suggests IO is costing more on days where extra slots make up a greater proportion of the Teslas' charging. However even with this overstatement, IO is still shown as costing less overall against my usage.

The Octopus bill is the only truly accurate way to check (for me).

It does pull from your account API, that's how it knows what your usage is. I don't know if it adjusts for the out-of-schedule lower rate slots, I guess it would need someone on IO to test it & confirm
It doesn't adjust the daily slots. It says "Oh you are on IO, that's 23:30-05:30". And that's it. I have the app and IO.

My local Home Assistant instance polls every ten minutes and gets any extra HH slots. It's currently the only way to do it.

It adjusts for the moving Agile rates,
The reason it can do this is they are published every day around 4pm for the whole region. The extra HH slots of IO are based on your car's current SoC, what % you want to charge it to, and by what time. A generic push can't do that. It has to be personalised.

Living the dream now: I have managed to set up local control of my GivEnergy battery and interface it with my Octopus API to control the charge/discharge when the car is charging.

When extra slots are provided outside of the fixed time window, the car no longer drains from the house battery. Both the car and GE battery will charge at the off-peak rates from the grid.

If anyone else with a GE battery would like to try this, I will try and pass on the help I had.

If you've installed local versions of Teslamate and have a Pi or NAS that can run Dockers, it's about that level of skill required.
This will be handy once mine is installed - likely mid Summer, deposit paid, just the waiting game now.

Looks like I've been lucky. My switch to Octopus will complete on Monday and they put the prices up yesterday. Fortunately they are going to honour the old prices. I've just successfully completed the connectivity test, so good to go!

may seem like a stupid question. For which I apologise in advance. I have a Tesla wall connector gen 2. But it’s set to 5kw not 7. Obviously IO thinks it’s 7, as there is no way to say it’s ‘turned down’. This is messing with the schedule as obvs it’s not charging to the set limit. I’ve tried telling octopus but they say it’s fine. It will work. But it’s not. Any suggestions?

may seem like a stupid question. For which I apologise in advance. I have a Tesla wall connector gen 2. But it’s set to 5kw not 7. Obviously IO thinks it’s 7, as there is no way to say it’s ‘turned down’. This is messing with the schedule as obvs it’s not charging to the set limit. I’ve tried telling octopus but they say it’s fine. It will work. But it’s not. Any suggestions?
well, it's very strange. what amperage you got on it?

My situation with Pod-point which is 7 kw (not 7.2 as all other) makes IP undercharge if I set both car and IO to let's say 85%. So I have no other option than than to set IO to charge to 100% and adjust charge level on car only.

Everyone else on I.O got this free charge tonight? :cool:
6C0C6B48-83A0-4F3C-B3D2-A75E709DAF0E.png

Anyone else getting errors in the app? Was about to plug in and can’t activate device control which I suspect is due to the website being overloaded.

Edit - after several attempts it seems to have cleared itself. Phew!

Switched over to IO today and have my first scheduled charge tonight.

Do you just leave it plugged in from now or plug in closer to the scheduled time? Does it draw any power if you leave it plugged in well before the scheduled start time?
Just plug in. It may charge for about a minute and then stop once the Octopus servers picks up on the charge starting.

The FAQs on the Octopus website are helpful in explaining these types of Qs.