Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

interesting. I‘m not sure I agree with their finding of CO2 savings - yes if all those people plug in at 5-7pm thats peak CO2, but a lot of those people are likely to charge overnight using a timer with their offpeak charging so some savings are likely from those that charge immediately but not that many I think.

The main takeaway which makes a lot of sense to me is users being plugged in on average for 15 hours, but only needing 3 to charge their vehicle. Gives energy providers many options to spread the load during cheap/low carbon/low demand periods, and spread the load as more EVs come along

interesting. I‘m not sure I agree with their finding of CO2 savings - yes if all those people plug in at 5-7pm thats peak CO2, but a lot of those people are likely to charge overnight using a timer with their offpeak charging so some savings are likely from those that charge immediately but not that many I think.

The main takeaway which makes a lot of sense to me is users being plugged in on average for 15 hours, but only needing 3 to charge their vehicle. Gives energy providers many options to spread the load during cheap/low carbon/low demand periods, and spread the load as more EVs come along
That's whole point of IO.

I can plug at 5 pm, but it will charge from 2 am for example

Reactions: Leejmoff
Quick question....I am moving to Intellegent Octopus for my model 3 but what if a family member visits and wants to charge their non tesla - will a bump charge from my Hypervolt work??
If they plug into the charger it should charge their car. As already said if they charge between 2330 and 0530 it will be at the lower rate.

For me octopus intelligent only talks to the car, so a bump charge only tells my car to charge. It does not talk to the charger.

Reactions: Ikin
It does.

It doesn't.
Brief reply, but it did! and I have the records to prove it. Discussed with IO who suggested that I should set the charge limit in the IO app rather than the car. Bit messy but I have set the car to 90% and IO to 50 to 80% as required. That seems to have fixed the issue but it has also lost me all the periods I was getting outside the normal 6 hour low tariff slot when I had IO set to 100% and car set to 60%. I have also dropped my Amps to 16 rather that 32A not technically required but IO don't seem to recognise that the home charger can go above 16A during initial setup process. Overall though its a really good product for us ev owners.

Brief reply, but it did! and I have the records to prove it. Discussed with IO who suggested that I should set the charge limit in the IO app rather than the car. Bit messy but I have set the car to 90% and IO to 50 to 80% as required. That seems to have fixed the issue but it has also lost me all the periods I was getting outside the normal 6 hour low tariff slot when I had IO set to 100% and car set to 60%. I have also dropped my Amps to 16 rather that 32A not technically required but IO don't seem to recognise that the home charger can go above 16A during initial setup process. Overall though its a really good product for us ev owners.
that is very odd.
car is always set to 32 amps and IO recognises that it's 7 kw charger (how other way you get 7 kw from 240V if not 32 amps?). I also have set IO to 100% all the time and only adjust the car levels. it works just fine...

Reactions: browellm
that is very odd.
car is always set to 32 amps and IO recognises that it's 7 kw charger (how other way you get 7 kw from 240V if not 32 amps?). I also have set IO to 100% all the time and only adjust the car levels. it works just fine...
Same here. Mine just works fine all the time at 32A. @Cnixon have you current limited in the car or Tesla app at some point. IO doesn't have any control over the current. It's just a switch in the cloud, effectively.

I've just started the switch process over to Intelligent. I'm already on GO and was fixed until december at the fantastic rates. BUT, i've been struggling to keep my car charged because i've not been getting home from work until 2 or later and with the imminent October price rise, I've decided to fix at todays Intelligent rate rather than risk leaving it for another price rise.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
I’m coming to the end of my fixed rate with octopus in August. I’m now retired so only expect to do 4 to 5000 miles a year. Wondering whether that sort of mileage would make IO a sensible move?
IO is almost always better

Lots of variables if you have solar / batteries, etc, but overall here are the basic assumptions, YMMV :
- Daily household usage of 10kW (ex vehicle), so 3650kW/year
- your 5000 miles are roughly 18 full charges of a 75kW battery, so 1350kW/year : so total consumption house+car of 5000kW/year

- compared to the variable rate (currently at 29p price capped, projected to go up by 50% in October...), the fixed full-price rate is 5p higher, so a 17% premium during daytime
- but you get 6 hours of 7.5p/kWh every day
- assuming your electricity use stays constant during the day and night (most likely not), this is a blended 27p rate, so cheaper, and locked for a year.
- but we'll do the calculations with the worst case scenario of having your total household electricity consumption only used during the higher-day-rate for demonstration

So with IO a year of charging your car at night would be just £101
and Household yearly usage at the higher 34p rate would be £1241
so a £1342 yearly bill total

With the 24/7 29p variable tarif (not taking into account the likely 50% October hike) : £1450 / year

So even though you are not driving much IO would still benefit you.

And of course if you change some of your habits by running appliances like dishwashers and laundry at night, you could save even more...

EDF Go electric is, I believe, cheaper (and 2 years fixed) but it’s a dual fuel tariff with shocking gas rates and carries a hefty early exit fee.
This has shot up last time I looked. Last week it was around 37-40p kWh and similar rate standing charge with Gas 11p. Its now 50p ish day rate and standing charge with gas 13p. I was tempted to change to them, with the new rate, I think I’ll stay with Go.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro